EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Paperwork? Oh, look at that, bloody favouritism!

Hard enough getting an appointment to find out if you NEED paperwork round here.

LoB is NEVER the wrong movie 😛 We even got to watch in in RE. Curiously it's the only RE lesson I ever actually took notice of.

‘and get that Welsh out of here‘!

Sue Jones-Davies, who played Judith, Brian’s girlfriend and the Welsh in question, later became the Lady Mayoress of the fine town of Aberystwyth; one of her first acts on taking office was to remove the ban that the town’s council had put on the film.  Good for her, say I!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

‘and get that Welsh out of here‘!

Sue Jones-Davies, who played Judith, Brian’s girlfriend and the Welsh in question, later became the Lady Mayoress of the fine town of Aberystwyth; one of her first acts on taking office was to remove the ban that the town’s council had put on the film.  Good for her, say I!

That rings a bell - I think I remember that happening.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The site’s censor has prevented a possibly contentious and offensive word in my post, which I quoted from the film script; it comes after Welsh and rhymes with ‘glut’.  Seems fairly harmless to me, but demz da roolz, so fair enough!  In any case anyone who recognised the quote will be fully aware of the word.  

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

What it really means is that the rest of the family is sick of him playing trains!

Mike.

What it really means is "We all need new shoes!"

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Rocket Railways again, no surprise.

I read somewhere else that somebody took a chance on a Ten Quid Mystery Box from them the other day and the contents received weren't even worth a fiver.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Whatever this thing is, I'm fairly sure that Armstrong's didn't build it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115476684326?hash=item1ae2f25e26:g:In0AAOSw8JZivX0P

Shouldn't it have a red flag hanging off the end to indicate an overhanging load?  🤪

3 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Rocket Railways again, no surprise.

I read somewhere else that somebody took a chance on a Ten Quid Mystery Box from them the other day and the contents received weren't even worth a fiver.

The mystery is why anyone would buy such a box from Rocket Railways!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I suppose that you could have got around it by using two "L"s, would have looked appropriate language for a dodgy Welsh girl.

Maybe.

Oddly enough, the closest I can get is a word that brings to mind the current President of rUssia!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hroth said:

As in "COOK BEFORE EATING!  30 minutes@190C (Do not microwave)"?

Well I wouldn’t stick it in my mou….

No, no, bad ‘152, get back to ballasting and stop this 

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I suppose that you could have got around it by using two "L"s, would have looked appropriate language for a dodgy Welsh girl.

Maybe.

Try pronouncing it 'sthlu...

Edited by rab
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

How about hoe, you know, that garden tool...

I wish i had taken a photos of the roundabout in Colchester when they had to shorten Fingringhoe (which is bad enough) to F'inghoe so it would fit the sign 🤣

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 2

12 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I wish i had taken a photos of the roundabout in Colchester when they had to shorten Fingringhoe (which is bad enough) to F'inghoe so it would fit the sign 🤣

"The village's name actually derives from its geographic circumstances: it sits at the confluence of the smaller Roman River and the River Colne. A "hoe" refers to a jutting out piece of land while "finger" describes an elongated finger-like land extension. "Ing" is a common toponym in the UK referring to "peoples". As such, the name refers to the "people living on the land jutting out into the river"." So it's all quite innocent really! 🤓

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

"The village's name actually derives from its geographic circumstances: it sits at the confluence of the smaller Roman River and the River Colne. A "hoe" refers to a jutting out piece of land while "finger" describes an elongated finger-like land extension. "Ing" is a common toponym in the UK referring to "peoples". As such, the name refers to the "people living on the land jutting out into the river"." So it's all quite innocent really! 🤓

I'll make a note of that, it'll be useful for making up names on model railways...

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1