EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

A quick bit of insomniacal googling demonstrates that "mazak" is a term known only to British railway modellers; the usual name for this family of alloys is "zamak". It seems that "Mazak" was formerly a trade name but when and by whom is obscure; it is now the name of a Japanese brand of machine tools, with a factory in Worcester. Zamak, on the other hand, is also the word for "castle" in a number of Slavonic languages.

IIRC Mazak (or Zamak) is an alloy of Zinc and Magnesium with a few other metals sometimes included. It is the proportions of some of these metals that can lead to Mazak rot. 

• Informative/Useful 1

I was always told when I was involved in engineering, that mazak rot was caused by impurity in the mix, which is why major users had got on top of the problem in the 1940s, of course, there's always mistakes, sourcing / traceability or QA issues and the old problem of: "There is nothing a man can make that another man cannot make a little cheaper and a little less well."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I thought that was one Hornby did ?

You'd have to examine the "Mazak Rot" list elsewhere in RMweb. However, I might rename my R2880 9F "Zamak Castle" and renumber it as one of the Swindon built 9Fs.....

Edited by Hroth
Spotted a mistype as I hit Submit...
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I was always told when I was involved in engineering, that mazak rot was caused by impurity in the mix, which is why major users had got on top of the problem in the 1940s, of course, there's always mistakes, sourcing / traceability or QA issues and the old problem of: "There is nothing a man can make that another man cannot make a little cheaper and a little less well."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

Someone told me that even just leaving the wire wrapping on the zinc when you throw it into the melting pot can lead to Mazak rot.

14 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

It's name would be Castle Castle then. 

Ahhh just like River Avon?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Corbs said:

Someone told me that even just leaving the wire wrapping on the zinc when you throw it into the melting pot can lead to Mazak rot.

Also River Ouse and Lake Windermere.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Corbs said:

33 minutes ago, 96701 said:

Also River Ouse and Lake Windermere.

Torpenhow too...

As for Mazak rot

6 hours ago, Corbs said:

I understand that was found to be the root of the problem when Meccano had their outbreak of the Rot.

(Mind you, I "understand" a lot of things, that might not be entirely factual...  🤪)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, John Besley said:

Looks like TMC have jumped onto the scrap line as well... £78.00 

Looks like something from Harrow and Wealdstone October 1952

Screenshot_20221124-193939_Chrome.jpg.41a4cc5e07314188bd2407b513f4d6be.jpg

You mean it doesn't come with it's box - not interested, then!

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

"Optimistic" comes to mind https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314241141012 that's the polite version anyway.

Espcially as the original sale price (£40.00) is still clearly displayed on the packaging...

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, TimberValleyRailway said:

Amazon are mad.

Screenshot 2022-11-24 193811(1).png

1 hour ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

That's a strange looking pannier tank. 

Its in Improved Engine Green too...

Must be a Terrier!

Edited by Hroth
An extra thort
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

IIRC Mazak (or Zamak) is an alloy of Zinc and Magnesium with a few other metals sometimes included. It is the proportions of some of these metals that can lead to Mazak rot. 

It's described in other countries (or at least Google translate interprets as such) as zinc pest.

• Agree 2