EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, big jim said:

My first thought looking at the carpet and top of the stairs photos is they are emptying an elderly relatives house and they have found it all in the attic and photographed it on its way down

A distinct possibility, but who's to know.

Might also be a more than usually thorough House Clearance gang.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, cessna152towser said:

From the same seller as the class 37 which went for a bargain twenty pounds.  Prices are all over the place.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255842398687?hash=item3b916531df:g:EKwAAOSw-7djdKzW

Reminds me of our local antique shop which currently has a lovely window display of 00 trains.   Some current Hornby coaches, including Pullmans with working table lamps all for 29 pounds each, yet he is asking 175 pounds for a Lima class 50 in Network South East livery.

But it's rare; it's a shuntting loco.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Apparently, if you pay enough, 'they' will take the ads away?

Trouble is it's totally spoilt it for me, I might just drop RM Wed completely as its now unreadable, yes I am a caveman.

What's it like on a Laptop?, but that will mean digging that out whereas my mobile is always to hand

I use to enjoy checking up on the topics I followed and have enjoyed - but not anymore, life is stressful enough without having to put up with a web site that is unreadable with unwanted scrolling adverts getting in the way

I can do with out the annoyance 

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, cessna152towser said:

Perhaps its full of mini beer!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cessna152towser said:

Oh I just love "instant collectibles".

If you keep them long enough, one day they could be worth as much as half what you paid for them.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Oh I just love "instant collectibles".

If you keep them long enough, one day they could be worth as much as half what you paid for them.

Or you leave them in your Will to relatives who thought you were mad when you were alive!

• Funny 6

10 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Or you leave them in your Will to relatives who thought you were mad when you were alive!

They're likely to be disappointed with the true value of their inheritance.

"Sorry mate, your dad's collection might be mint, but it's all out of fashion with the collectors now..."

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

"Sorry mate, your dad's collection might be mint, but it's all out of fashion with the collectors now..."

Or you succeed in convincing them that Mazak (renamed ZAMAK to outsmart the unwary!) is indeed a precious metal!? 😎

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I have seen mazak referred to as zamak in a number of books on Dinky toys and in relation to vehicles. It might be a forgotten trade name I think.

A quick bit of insomniacal googling demonstrates that "mazak" is a term known only to British railway modellers; the usual name for this family of alloys is "zamak". It seems that "Mazak" was formerly a trade name but when and by whom is obscure; it is now the name of a Japanese brand of machine tools, with a factory in Worcester. Zamak, on the other hand, is also the word for "castle" in a number of Slavonic languages.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

But it's old'ish', so must be valuable. You're just trying to rip me off!

• Agree 3

11 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

But it's old'ish', so must be valuable. You're just trying to rip me off!

That's the one. I get a similar thing with my old bikes. The first two questions are generally: 

How old is it?

What's it worth? 

The second question when answered is often met with the response of "Nah, it must be worth at least ten grand!"

They must think I'm trying to hide it's true value for fear of it being stolen.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Hroth said:

It started out as a Hymek, and then things went downhill thereafter....

You have to see it in the context of the seller's banner ad: Let your imagination run wild!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

A quick bit of insomniacal googling demonstrates that "mazak" is a term known only to British railway modellers; the usual name for this family of alloys is "zamak". It seems that "Mazak" was formerly a trade name but when and by whom is obscure; it is now the name of a Japanese brand of machine tools, with a factory in Worcester. Zamak, on the other hand, is also the word for "castle" in a number of Slavonic languages.

So, the GWR could have added Zamak Castle to the 4073 class? 🥸

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1