EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, The Johnster said:

All such punishments were carried out publicly and were highly popular!  

Bringing us at least a little closer back on topic, one of the early excursions on the Bodmin & Wadebridge Railway, was to a public hanging at Bodmin Gaol

Edited by rab
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I thought burning at the stake, at least in England, was an ecclesiastical punishment (the Church had the power to try people in courts for the likes of heresy, witchcraft, theft from the Church &c).  For heretics and witches, it was considered merciful as the fire purged and purified their souls and enabled the to enter heaven.  

According to a book that I was reading last year, in England (and I would guess Wales was using the English legal system), witches weren't usually burnt, merely hung (as in the Pendle Witches at Lancaster).  In Scotland and Europe burning was the usual outcome.  In Scotland (but not England), suspected witches could also be tortured to "encourage" them to confess and to incriminate others.

Quite what this as to do with Ebay, I'm not sure.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, rab said:

Bringing us at least a little closer back on topic, one of the early excursions

on the Bodmin & Wadebridge Railway, was to a public hanging at Bodmin Gaol

The railway has now gone, and all you'll see now from outside Bodmin JAIL are well-heeled tourists travelling up and down in the new glass lift, going to and from their hotel rooms / cells!

(The jail was redeveloped using Russian money - probably a fact that is not mentioned lately)!

John Isherwood.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, figworthy said:

According to a book that I was reading last year, in England (and I would guess Wales was using the English legal system), witches weren't usually burnt, merely hung (as in the Pendle Witches at Lancaster).  In Scotland and Europe burning was the usual outcome.  In Scotland (but not England), suspected witches could also be tortured to "encourage" them to confess and to incriminate others.

You haven't seen me when I am dealing with a non paying buyer... 👹

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, figworthy said:

Adrian

In Scotland, other heretics were allegedly drowned by staking them for the tide to cover them, though this is now disputed.

https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/artifact/martyr-of-solway

Apparently Millais originally painted her without her top on, then later gave her a blouse...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Whilst searching for Bachmann PMV, the following appeared in my search…

It doesn’t match my search criteria, but definitely matches “eBay madness” in anybody’s books…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373819645875?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dUl0TI1oQ1m&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=e--l92_9TXi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Three guesses who! 😆

PS

A matching loco…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363649317640?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dUl0TI1oQ1m&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=e--l92_9TXi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 17/05/2022 at 16:18, The Johnster said:

Other famous victims were William Wallace and Hugh Despenser, and I’d suggest that Despenser probably deserved it. 

There's a blue plaque on the wall of Bart's Hospital (appropriately at the entrance opposite Smithfield meat market!) commemorating  the execution there of Sir William Wallace  - he seems rarely to be accorded his title though he was knighted by a Scots earl in the absence of the king (John of Balliol. 

I used to have blood tests regularly at that hospital, so I suppose that makes me a Sassenach wha hae wi' Wallace bled!  That was in the old days when Bart's still had an A&E - I used to be able to stroll into A&E and as long as they weren't coping with a major incident, they would do routine blood tests.  Now there is no A&E anywhere in the City of London.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, rab said:

2 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Hattons sell a new one for £9.50. Someone's looking for suckers??

Just looked up the Hattons price too!

To be "fair", the vendor is offering free postage, Hattons inc delivery is 12.25 so its only £4.70 more...

I'd suggest not looking for suckers as such, but those who only search for items on eBay, rather than anywhere else.   Its an indication that traditional suppliers like Hattons might need an full eBay presence as well as their website, just to head off the "eBay only" loons.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I am as guilty as anyone in being riled by things on eBay at inflated prices but away from the extremes, if a new 7mm Dapol loco is, say £199 in most places reducing to £175 as the box shifters need to sell them, average eBay new price will still be £225. 

What I always wonder is do people ever actually buy the stuff that's on way above easily found retail prices elsewhere?

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

33 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

I am as guilty as anyone in being riled by things on eBay at inflated prices but away from the extremes, if a new 7mm Dapol loco is, say £199 in most places reducing to £175 as the box shifters need to sell them, average eBay new price will still be £225. 

What I always wonder is do people ever actually buy the stuff that's on way above easily found retail prices elsewhere?

I guess it depends upon whether people can be bothered to look and compare prices? It seems, these days, many people are lazy and reluctant to put in a little time or effort? Same goes for requests for information - my usual response is 'Google is your friend!'

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

my usual response is 'Google is your friend!'

Then again, you've got to keep your wits about you when interpreting whatever Google returns!

• Agree 4

42 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Fairly recently I bought a limited edition loco from my local shop for £257. At around the same time there were two for sale on ebay - one BIN at just shy of £600 (which did not sell, I think) and one for auction which sold for £752 ish.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Then again, you've got to keep your wits about you when interpreting whatever Google returns!

i generally find cutting and pasting most queries on here into google returns the previous 5 identical threads! Admire the patience of the same people answering every time rather than referring to the previous one!

As to people being increasingly lazy and almost totally reliant on internet and apps, these days, (bearing in mind the one thing every place I've ever worked had in common was the the IT department were utterly useless) I am convinced future historians will regard this as a period of decline similar to the post Roman step backwards! 

On a brighter note, from childhood ive always been a grumpy old git and increasingly find I'm in my element. Every cloud :)

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Fishoutofwater said:

Fairly recently I bought a limited edition loco from my local shop for £257. At around the same time there were two for sale on ebay - one BIN at just shy of £600 (which did not sell, I think) and one for auction which sold for £752 ish.

I was checking on my own sales this morning when I happened to begin scanning for N gauge items for sale - up came a Peco 2251, Mint in Box (according to the seller), 5 days into it's auction, no bidders at 17 quid.  Had I not just sold all my ex GWR stock I would have been tempted to punt - I hardly ever saw these Peco locos turn up on Ebay when I was looking for one, and on the face of it, this item for sale appears in excellent condition, it's boxed and there is no reason to doubt there is a problem with it.

But the price for an actual fairly rare item (my words, not the seller's) is quite shocking,  especially when you look at some of the stuff at the opposite end of the spectrum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Hattons sell a new one for £9.50. Someone's looking for suckers??

Why not?  There's plenty of them out there.

And if you can afford to wait until something's in short supply, you'll eventually sell it anyway.

Practically anything on ebay can also be found there at twice the price.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

1 hour ago, Fishoutofwater said:

The London Transport Museum shop every now and again clears its warehouse. Not just its run of the mill models but such hard to find models as the Metropolitan Bo-Bo and the S class EMU's. This they do at a knockdown price, 25% of RRP or less. The locomotives were sold out in a couple of hours and the EMU's within an hour of being put up for sale. Within a few few hours they were on E-bay at a lot more than the RRP, the EMU's for several times the RRP, some vendors of both models had 'more than one available'.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Some internet sites are more reliable than others certainly. Over the years one gets a sense for what is legit and what is dodgy.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

The London Transport Museum shop every now and again clears its warehouse. Not just its run of the mill models but such hard to find models as the Metropolitan Bo-Bo and the S class EMU's. This they do at a knockdown price, 25% of RRP or less. The locomotives were sold out in a couple of hours and the EMU's within an hour of being put up for sale. Within a few few hours they were on E-bay at a lot more than the RRP, the EMU's for several times the RRP, some vendors of both models had 'more than one available'.

Used to find the same sharp practices with Bachmann Scrum returns from Ally Pally.

You would see people leaving with bulky bags sometimes before the pay on the door punters were even in and loads of Bachmann returns, now minus the sticky labels but obvious where they were for well over RRP appearing on ebay before the end of the day.

I even spotted some listed once that were clearly photographed and listed on the shuttle bus heading home!

Edited by John M Upton
  • Informative/Useful 4

52 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Used to find the same sharp practices with Bachmann Scrum returns from Ally Pally.

You would see people leaving with bulky bags sometimes before the pay on the door punters were even in and loads of Bachmann returns, now minus the sticky labels but obvious where they were for well over RRP appearing on ebay before the end of the day.

I even spotted some listed once that were clearly photographed and listed on the shuttle bus heading home!

The pay-on-the-door punters getting the dirty-end-of-the-stick from 'the trade [Craft]' once again? It's always depressing at a show when a trader informs you that he had brought a collection of kit-built locos with him but another [named] trader had bought all he had before the doors opened. A day or so later eBay shows you what you might have bought for a reasonable price. I know this is the nature of the beast, but what may be good for the traders, may be bad for the hobby?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

It's always depressing at a show when a trader informs you that he had brought a collection of kit-built locos with him but another [named] trader had bought all he had before the doors opened. A day or so later eBay shows you what you might have bought for a reasonable price. I know this is the nature of the beast, but what may be good for the traders, may be bad for the hobby?

Rather begs the question of why the first trader hadn't put them on ebay rather than bringing them to the show, if that would have given them the better return?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Rather begs the question of why the first trader hadn't put them on ebay rather than bringing them to the show, if that would have given them the better return?

Presumably because of the time, effort and hassle of listing, packing, sending etc etc. Much easier just to get shut?

Mike.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, 5944 said:

Not just used, but abused...

50p in the bargain bin would be pushing it!

Its probably another new trainee.  Perhaps they get a small bonus and the offer of a more "permanent" job if they reach certain targets?

• Like 1
  • Funny 3