EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 96701 said:

Oh dear, here we go again. Resin and coal A4 for £80.00.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303982866001?hash=item46c6ca6e51:g:a-YAAOSwB8Rbu8gs

"This figure has only ever been displayed"

I'm struggling to work out what else you could do with it, apart from the obvious trip to landfill.

Mike.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

"This figure has only ever been displayed"

I'm struggling to work out what else you could do with it, apart from the obvious trip to landfill.

Mike.

Put it on an open fire?

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

Yet another clueless junk dealer.

In my experience of car-booting, you see plenty of these sort of characters.  As sellers they are usually driving one of the oldest cars and have a lot of rusty old tools or anything else old, which means it is automatically collectible, of course and hence worth much more then pennies, they insist.  You wonder how they make enough to cover the costs of doing at least two sales per week (and they are regulars at the same sales). 

They are usually older middle-aged men, quite scruffily dressed, don't say much except to moan about how slow sales are (hinting that you won't sell that thing on your stall for £3, so might as well sell it him for 50p).  They are always dragging on a the last quarter-inch of a roll-up, desperate to get their last pennies-worth out of this as well.

The obvious thought is that if they devoted as much effort to paid employment, they would earn far more per hour than sorting through old tat and standing in a field.  However, I believe you would never persuade them of this as their mindset is that they are earning a bit of tax-free money, getting one over on the system and making a bit of money from people more affluent than them.  If it makes them happy, good luck to them.

I enjoy boot selling - need to do one soon , have been building up a garage-full since March last year! - as it is satisfying being paid for stuff you don't want and my regular sale has friendly buyers (I've almost never had a rude buyer there, unlike some other sales).  It is an eye-opener though, to a portion of society who are living on the very edge of it.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

30 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

In my experience of car-booting, you see plenty of these sort of characters.  As sellers they are usually driving one of the oldest cars and have a lot of rusty old tools or anything else old, which means it is automatically collectible, of course and hence worth much more then pennies, they insist.  You wonder how they make enough to cover the costs of doing at least two sales per week (and they are regulars at the same sales). 

They are usually older middle-aged men, quite scruffily dressed, don't say much except to moan about how slow sales are (hinting that you won't sell that thing on your stall for £3, so might as well sell it him for 50p).  They are always dragging on a the last quarter-inch of a roll-up, desperate to get their last pennies-worth out of this as well.

The obvious thought is that if they devoted as much effort to paid employment, they would earn far more per hour than sorting through old tat and standing in a field.  However, I believe you would never persuade them of this as their mindset is that they are earning a bit of tax-free money, getting one over on the system and making a bit of money from people more affluent than them.  If it makes them happy, good luck to them.

I enjoy boot selling - need to do one soon , have been building up a garage-full since March last year! - as it is satisfying being paid for stuff you don't want and my regular sale has friendly buyers (I've almost never had a rude buyer there, unlike some other sales).  It is an eye-opener though, to a portion of society who are living on the very edge of it.

Like Bartertown, Mad Max - Thunderdome!?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BoD said:

Why?

Because he is an annoyance, as it kept coming up on my saved searches and it never sells, but he is determined to try and sell it this way, rather than either setting the minimum price he will take or just buy it now. So while he keeps relisting it at 99p with a reserve set to at least £50, remember, it is not just me, but we will keep putting tiny bids in until he gives up and sells it correctly. Or heavens forbid someone actually wants it. But, having followed Hornby 86 for a while now, they seem to sell for between £35 and £45, depending on condition. Others are listed at £50+ but they always seem to get relisted. Of course the Heljen's get listed for a lot more. There are lots of their new 86/0 listed there for more than the RRP, so I assume that most people would just buy it from their regular sellers at RRP or slightly lower. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Another graduate from the school of 'Just chuck it all in a box, no one will notice all the broken bits':

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133769365124?hash=item1f25468684:g:lCQAAOSwId5glTq-

The starting price looks very reasonable once you read the description and check the photographs.  If I lived near the collection point I would risk the £150 on this.  However, I am safely "too far away:

6 large boxes all full of OO Gauge items

Vast amount of stuff

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

The starting price looks very reasonable once you read the description and check the photographs.  If I lived near the collection point I would risk the £150 on this.  However, I am safely "too far away:

Like a 'Lucky Dip'? :locomotive:

• Like 4