EBay madness

Marcyg

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

We were pretty fatalistic about it all, my little gang figured we'd either be vaporised or survive in a sort of Mad Max with cr4p weather style of existence.

We dug a 'bunker' in a local copse, then got bored of it. Eventually a fox moved in and extended it. There was an air raid siren somewhere in Lymington - the fire station most likely. Every so often they would test it. A rather creepy sound, made you think of the '4 minutes'!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I agree that “less than two months old “ must relate to the date these lots were acquired by the current keeper...

The first lot is mainly Airfix kit buildings....ok these are currently available from Dapol.

There are also some Wills kits, and a Superquick lineside hut.

The Superquick hut was part of the Type 1 Signalbox kit. The earlier kit with a brick based Signalbox hasn’t been made for a good few years now! 

AD32E6E1-9F91-4DD4-9DFA-AE29A5F65B0A.jpeg.0427572a00e1bc99f5b93098f01dc6b5.jpeg

The two cream huts are from a Hornby accessory set, this has been available for years. The huts themselves were first introduced in the early 1960s I think (memory).

The second lot is the Series 3A type of Tri-ang  / Hornby buildings (with added adverts, probably from Tiny Signs).

The Series 2 derived platform sections have been stone clad. Possibly Wills Slate Walling sheets.

There is also a Wills kit halt, and a mix of fencing.

The figures, etc include Merit (now PECO Modelscene), Airfix (look like the Dapol grey polystyrene version), and others, some HO scale...

Series 1 is the 1950s Tri-ang  Railways Buildings, etc.

Series 2 is the mainly 1962 introduced Buildings, etc.

Series 2A is the 1962 buildings, but in a bright red plastic, instead of a more maroon brick colour, from the 1970s.

Series 3 is the Brick printed buildings, Hornby Railways, late C1970s.

Series 3A is the Stone printed Buildings, C late 1980s.

Series 3B is the current range, the same basic mouldings, but not printed. Instead self adhesive labels are supplied in brick, and stone, finishes. These have to be applied by the purchaser. Saves Hornby having to have the mouldings printed.

(All dates are from my memory, so come with the usual disclaimer....may be wildly inaccurate, if not totally apocryphal... ;) :D )

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Added end piece...
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

What ARE we going to do when the lockdown ends!? When analysing piles of ebay sh** takes second place to expensive visits to shopping centres, etc!? :locomotive:

In my case its toy fairs and swap meets. At least you can see straight away that its junk and move on to the next table. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

In my case its toy fairs and swap meets. At least you can see straight away that its junk and move on to the next table. 

Seems a lifetime since I last enjoyed similar pleasures! Oh to rummage through an under-the-table box at a show!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

15 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

2 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Seems a lifetime since I last enjoyed similar pleasures! Oh to rummage through an under-the-table box at a show!

Oh yes please! The same combination of great buys, overpriced tat, unspeakable horrors and quirky things that appeal....but in REAL LIFE.....that you can PAY FOR and TAKE AWAY.......the wonder! 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Sadly one of the last things that will return after Covid IMHO. Imagine trying to keep a swap meet table sanitized?

Easy to keep swap meet table sanitized....5lts of petrol and a match!...miss shows but not the Deodorant Dodgers !

• Funny 8

Have I witnessed what appears to be an hostile ebay bidding strategy? For example: a kitbuit loco is offered for sale. Toward the end of the bidding process, a dealer - it usually seems to be a dealer - puts in a heavy bid of £200.00. They don't really want to pay this amount, but it tends to knockout/intimidate lessor opposition. One of these operators seemed to 'come unstuck' the other day. Two dealers bidding for a kitbuilt Johnson 0-4-4T used the same strategy, both bid £200.00. The first to place their bid won to loco. Debatable whether the purchaser will succeed in selling on said loco for in excess of £200?

Whilst I quite understand it is the nature of auctions to bid whatsoever you like; the use of such strategies makes it appear pointless bidding for anything on ebay - unless you play their game?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

This is one that caught my eye today.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Two-4mm-L-amp-SWR-dropsided-2-plank-wagons-/254892399038?nma=true&si=nVK0bGlbzdQC75uWP1i04lLwhTg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

A couple of Ratio 2-plank wagons from the PW set with some LSWR transfers. A couple of late bidders ramped the price up from about £12 in the last minute or so!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 12/03/2021 at 09:41, Hroth said:

Spotted the cattle wagon, the R1 body and the rusting remains of the Hornby O gauge, but not the other items. 

I wonder what is in the 3x3 drawer set?  And is the orange toothbrush just that, or an electrical wheel-cleaning brush?

Oh well, they're being optimistic, even with free delivery!

He says the 9 drawer set contains railway loose items and folded loco box paperwork. And yes, there is a heavy brass loco cab on top of the tunnels.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Andy WD said:

This is one that caught my eye today.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Two-4mm-L-amp-SWR-dropsided-2-plank-wagons-/254892399038?nma=true&si=nVK0bGlbzdQC75uWP1i04lLwhTg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

A couple of Ratio 2-plank wagons from the PW set with some LSWR transfers. A couple of late bidders ramped the price up from about £12 in the last minute or so!

Sometimes model railway eBay resembles the Wild West? It's a shame that the locking-down of model railway shows has seen so much of the second hand trade restricted to eBay. The situation appears to have forced prices up and eradicated market competition?

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Have I witnessed what appears to be an hostile ebay bidding strategy? For example: a kitbuit loco is offered for sale. Toward the end of the bidding process, a dealer - it usually seems to be a dealer - puts in a heavy bid of £200.00. They don't really want to pay this amount, but it tends to knockout/intimidate lessor opposition. One of these operators seemed to 'come unstuck' the other day. Two dealers bidding for a kitbuilt Johnson 0-4-4T used the same strategy, both bid £200.00. The first to place their bid won to loco. Debatable whether the purchaser will succeed in selling on said loco for in excess of £200?

Whilst I quite understand it is the nature of auctions to bid whatsoever you like; the use of such strategies makes it appear pointless bidding for anything on ebay - unless you play their game?

The only winner in that situation is the seller. Hopefully the aggressive bidder has paid over the odds, and got burnt.  As a bidder, all one can do is bid up to what you can afford/what you think it's worth, and step back when things get silly!

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

The only winner in that situation is the seller. Hopefully the aggressive bidder has paid over the odds, and got burnt.  As a bidder, all one can do is bid up to what you can afford/what you think it's worth, and step back when things get silly!

I fear it's another symptom of a year of extended Covid lockdowns, spending more time than is healthy stooging about on model railway ebay? The more times I go there, the more cynical I seem to become? Back in the days of physical model railway shows, I never bought a loco from a trader without seeing it run - before I handed over the folding stuff! Given the 'Wild West' nature of the darker corners of ebay, my 'trust muscle' has been sorely strained of late!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Bucoops said:

£120 for 3 completely incorrect coaches :o

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LNER-Silver-Jubilee-Coaches-Mint/303911823284

And the box and loco available separately. 

"Do people really believe that they will get more money for something that was sold as a set if they seperate the components, or are they just greedy ####s?"

Attributed to - Cynicus, c.350BC

Edited by MrWolf
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Toward the end of the bidding process, a dealer - it usually seems to be a dealer - puts in a heavy bid of £200.00. They don't really want to pay this amount, but it tends to knockout/intimidate lessor opposition.

How do you know they dont want to pay that? Since no one else knows their highest bid and therefore far from being warned off, bidders will just keep chipping away up to what they deem to be sensible (plus a bit given people are prone to getting over-excited), I think its more likely the dealers just value it higher than you do?

Generalising obviously but dealers usually have a decent handle. The second a dealer makes me an offer for something I'm selling - especially if early on -  I know I'm pretty much guaranteed a sale sooner or later and I can probably expect to get at least 20% more if I hold out! 

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

"Do people really believe that they will get more money for something that was sold as a set if they seperate the components, or are they just greedy ####s?"

Attributed to - Cynicus, c.350BC

Has it always been this bad? Or are we seeing something new developing, profiteering due to Covid issues?

• Agree 1

Hi

It isn't always the case that selling things at an inflated price is taking advantage or profiteering.

I sell a lot on Ebay, I am not a trader but I get bored with the same old stock so I sell and buy new loco's etc and i am constantly surprised at what people are willing to pay. I recently bought a Hornby Class 50 with a tatty body for £65 because I wanted the wheels without traction tyres for one of my own. I didn't want the rest of it so I stripped it and sold the bits on Ebay, priced very reasinably and I don't profit from postage. All of the parts were snapped up quickly, the whole lot sold for £125.66. The thing with it is people need spares and Hornby are useless in that department, it can't be helped if people are willing to over bid and pay stupid money.

Bob

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2