EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I suspect if one paid the Pullman supplement and the attendants seated one in a BR Mk1, one might be just a tad disappointed? 

ln the last days of loco-hauled Pullman trains, after BR had bought up the name, some new pullmans were made using Mk1 stock...

It might be fun to model some Mk1 pullmans for a Heritage railway with contemporary names; "Kirsty", "Sharon" and "Wendy" for Firsts might do for starters and "69" for a Brake Third.

It could be a named service "The Colchester Pullman".  :jester:

Edited by Hroth
Hehehe...
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Hroth said:

contemporary names; "Kirsty", "Sharon" and "Wendy"

Contemporary with whom? For current popular choices, Olivia, Amelia, Evie, Isla, or Mia might be more the thing. If you're thinking of the wives of preservationists, then Jane or Margaret might be more the thing. Kirsties and Sharons aren't quite old enough yet. As for Wendy, has that ever been contemporary?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The three Pullman cars on my layout are "Candy", my wife, "April", her daughter and "Krystal", her granddaughter. I think the idea got me a brownie point but SWMBO did not seem very impressed when I showed them to her. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

32 minutes ago, Hroth said:

ln the last days of loco-hauled Pullman trains, after BR had bought up the name, some new pullmans were made using Mk1 stock...

It might be fun to model some Mk1 pullmans for a Heritage railway with contemporary names; "Kirsty", "Sharon" and "Wendy" for Firsts might do for starters and "69" for a Brake Third.

It could be a named service "The Colchester Pullman".  :jester:

I bet you're hoping we don't have any Kirstys, Sharons or Wendys here on RMWeb!? If we do, you might have to head for the hills! ;)

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I bet you're hoping we don't have any Kirstys, Sharons or Wendys here on RMWeb!? If we do, you might have to head for the hills! ;)

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

How about The Essex Cutler for a Pullman-equipped named train?

Well, some sort of cut-lery.

I was thinking of Essex hairdressers, out on the pull man...

I think we should all leave it at that.  :whistle:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Just to get us back on track

TRIANG Hornby R452 LMS CLASS 3F JINTY GLOSS MAROON & SMOKE UNIT EXLT COND RARE!!

Its not really madness, apart from the bidding for an old Triang Jinty, I just liked the "Rare!!" in the title...

Given that the securing screw is in the l/h boiler side-skirt, it'll be a synchro-smoke unit too! MUST be rare!

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

TRIANG Hornby R452 LMS CLASS 3F JINTY GLOSS MAROON & SMOKE UNIT EXLT COND RARE!!

Its not really madness, apart from the bidding for an old Triang Jinty, I just liked the "Rare!!" in the title...

Given that the securing screw is in the l/h boiler side-skirt, it'll be a synchro-smoke unit too! MUST be rare!

If they wish to go beyond 'Rare', it'll have the be “bleu”! ;)

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

"Excellent kit built", if you don't like parallel axles.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

"Excellent kit built", if you don't like parallel axles.

Mike.

I think he's another ebayer who lists just about everything as "Excellent", "Kit built" or "Excellent Kit Built"....

Even when "badly painted cardboard" might be more accurate...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I had a look through his list and spotted a couple of items that are bargains. The seller doesn't seem to know what he's got or what its worth.

10 hours ago, Hroth said:

A nice model. Though this later model would indeed be fitted with the smaller Synchrosmoke unit, the side mounted body screw was introduced in 1961, with the cast chassis block.

The original Seuthe type chassis were marked with an “S” under one end. The Seuthe type smoke unit fitted into a hole in the front weight part of the chassis, which also had a tapped hole where the side screw went.

The later, from 1964 onwards, Synchrosmoke type chassis, marked “SS”, had the whole of the front weight removed, to take the Smoke unit box.

The side screw fitted into a tapped hole in the side of the smoke unit.

On the Diesel Shunter, and other non smoke fitted applications of the “SS” 0-6-0 chassis, the smoke unit was replaced by a screwed on weight block, which incorporated the tapped hole for the side screw.

Not exactly Rare.... but it is apparently in good condition. Now if our example could fetch a similar price....;)

Ahh, but ours doesn’t have a Synchromesh unit...a type of gearbox I believe...now that would make it Rare! :rolleyes:

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Synchromesh....added...tidying
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1