EBay madness

Marcyg

34 minutes ago, IncorrectlySpelt said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lima-00-Gauge-BR-blue-grey-brake-coach-converted-to-4-COR-Trailer/293849381090

It's a driving trailer, but looking like that I have no idea what it could be, its definetly not a COR DMBT

It could be one of those 'representations' we have been hearing about? This one looks a bit chewed!?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Perhaps it was going backwards for Christmas...

Should be “Backwoods” Miniatures - autocorrect probably struck again.

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Premium

WTH????

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unidentified-2-Rail-O-Scale-Kit-Built-55-Weyerhaeuser-All-Door-Box-Car/224288388374

I have one of these and am totally flummoxed at the resulting price!  :o  One of the perils of placing a nuclear bid; someone else just may have the same idea!  :lol:  Now I think that maybe I should put mine in a safe deposit box! :biggrin_mini: I was watching it thinking that I might like a second one but lost interest early on as mine has the same road number and I am not a fan of "patching" new reporting marks; besides, mine is built just as nicely as the one in the auction and is the proper green.

The bid history (I left out most of the intermediate bids for clarity):

3***r(1223feedback score: 1223)    $203.50    3 Jan 2021 at 6:20:33PM PST
y***3(306feedback score: 306)        $201.00    3 Jan 2021 at 6:20:32PM PST
8***t(357feedback score: 357)         $61.09      3 Jan 2021 at 6:20:29PM PST
t***4(1125feedback score: 1125)    $50.55       3 Jan 2021 at 8:57:59AM PST
n***2(482feedback score: 482)        $11.00      28 Dec 2020 at 12:03:05PM PST
Starting Price                                        $9.99        27 Dec 2020 at 6:20:36PM PST

I bet the seller is quite happy; or will be when it is paid for!

BTW: This would sell at a show for under $100.00.

image.png

Hmmm, ignore that  "-    16.41", it crept into the editor and refuses to leave!  :bye:

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some forgotten text.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 02/01/2021 at 07:06, leopardml2341 said:

Not so much madness, just a demonstration of the greed which eBay creates.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rails-Of-Sheffield-50-Anniversary-Wagon/224293859876?hash=item3438f4b224:g:aAYAAOSwQHVf5v3W

Or you could just get an unpainted Dapol LMS vent van

image.png.ef273d62b447889712a6448291034bd2.png

About £6.46 plus £2.75 delivery from Hattons or other fine retailers!

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

It looks like someone who has a deal with a model shop, anything they get in as blown up, dropped or bodged, comes his way. Or perhaps he has a shop and these are the leftovers from repairs or items beyond repair.

1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

It looks like someone who has a deal with a model shop, anything they get in as blown up, dropped or bodged, comes his way. Or perhaps he has a shop and these are the leftovers from repairs or items beyond repair.

Sounds possible. It would certainly explain where it's a lot of recent Hornby, most of which look like ex trainset items.

But still, there's a lot of broken loco's in there.

Good source of spares though...

• RMweb Gold

Not so much madness, as wilfully misdescribed

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Hornby-R3530-BR-J15-Class-0-6-0-Steam-Locomotive/333846043380?epid=2251023285&hash=item4dbac65af4:g:NOsAAOSwqBFf8i-i

A rather sad old Triang/Hornby 3F tender loco is a "Hornby R3530 BR J15 Class 0-6-0 Steam Locomotive"?

I only came across it as after I had posted the unpainted Dapol van above, I thought it might be fun to get a cheap 0-6-0 from ebay and spray it with grey primer so that with a few of the vans it could either be a "ghost train" or a "photographic grey" train.

As far as the 3F is concerned, it wouldn't bother me if I bid on it and got it for at most 15 quid or so.  But if some poor oik thought they were getting a recent J15...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

Not sure if this seller has been mentioned before but here we are.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/optimaldavey?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Not exactly mad himself, but what is mad is how everything he has is equally damaged.

Where does he get it all?

42 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Not sure many shops get unpainted Hornby EPs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-00-Class-43-HST-locomotive-train-body-shell-high-detail/254796488670

or unpainted Maunsell coach bodies, with interiors

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-00-Loco-Plain-Coach-Body-Shell-Windows-Seats-Train-Model-Railways-Spares/254810737557

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-00-Loco-Plain-White-Train-Coach-Body-Shell-Spares-Repairs-Model-Railways/254810732397

My school of thought is this Hornby repairs / testing / returns left overs being sold off either directly / indirectly, or maybe a Biffa Skip Raider cashing in.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

My school of thought is this Hornby repairs / testing / returns left overs being sold off either directly / indirectly, or maybe a Biffa Skip Raider cashing in.

Again, a good theory. It'd certainly explain the mangled valve gear on some of those chassis. But I can't see a manufacturer throwing away serviceable chassis when the broken bits can be replaced.

Thinking of snapping up one of his Duke of Gloucester chassis to make a caprotti Merchant Navy mentioned on the imaginary loco's thread. Beats some of the prices I've seen for loco's in similar condition.

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Hmm, located at Sandwich, not far from Margate, and the short-lived location of head office.....

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

Again, a good theory. It'd certainly explain the mangled valve gear on some of those chassis. But I can't see a manufacturer throwing away serviceable chassis when the broken bits can be replaced.

If its returned they cannot resell it as new if its damaged.

Whats on offer here is a large quantity of clearly well past it stuff thats in different states of damage / strip down.

I often wondered what Hornby did with its returns. My guess is most are stored for repairs and gradually stripped down. But i’d imagine theres both finite time and space for hanging on before getting rid.

AC Models seems to have a lot of new spares better quality Returns (not so long ago they were selling fully assembled Silver A4’s, but no tender), and occasionally locos that look like good quality returns.

Bachmann use Warley to offload a lot of returns, Dapol uses a few trade shows and DCC supplies as an outlet. No idea for  Heljan (but Gaugemaster sells new spares).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I often wondered what Hornby did with its returns. My guess is most are stored for repairs and gradually stripped down. But i’d imagine theres both finite time and space for hanging on before getting rid.

Makes you wonder if someone was just asked to shift a lot of the stored stock if that's the case.

Looks to me like it's all Hornby stock which does lend to that idea. If there was anything by other manufacturers that'd add some weight to the model shop returns theory.

He's got some useful stuff on there, I'll give him that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

If its returned they cannot resell it as new if its damaged.

Whats on offer here is a large quantity of clearly well past it stuff thats in different states of damage / strip down.

AC Models seems to have a lot of new spares better quality Returns (not so long ago they were selling fully assembled Silver A4’s, but no tender), and occasionally locos that look like good quality returns.

Bachmann use Warley to offload a lot of returns, Dapol uses a few trade shows and DCC supplies as an outlet. No idea for  Heljan (but Gaugemaster sells new spares).

Returns are not stripped down for spares by Hornby, I don't know how exactly they dispose of their returns but to check them and dismantle them for spares would not be viable as labour costs alone would be high.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

No kidding!

"Peco SL-330 Decoupler

Brand: PECO

3.7 out of 5 stars    11 ratings

Price:£4.02 & FREE Delivery"

Peco list price is 2.30 for a pack of two, being charitable, it might be a slip of the fingers typing the price in...

Then again.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dapol-Model-Railway-Modern-Shop-Flat-Plastic-Kit-OO-Scale-1-76/303611011519?hash=item46b0a061bf:g:hdwAAOSwKWle~D6k

£25.99!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Peco list price is 2.30 for a pack of two, being charitable, it might be a slip of the fingers typing the price in...

Then again.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dapol-Model-Railway-Modern-Shop-Flat-Plastic-Kit-OO-Scale-1-76/303611011519?hash=item46b0a061bf:g:hdwAAOSwKWle~D6k

£25.99!

Well I thought for a moment it might be one of the 1960s jobs in the original box / hanging bag with the misprint....

Anyone else ever noticed that this kit owes a lot to the RAF airfield control tower kit?

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Then again.

£25.99!

Bigamart - brings to mind Frankie Howerd?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Returns are not stripped down for spares by Hornby, I don't know how exactly they dispose of their returns but to check them and dismantle them for spares would not be viable as labour costs alone would be high.

Id agree there

but if someone returned something needing a part, having damaged/ return stock to boneyard from is cheaper than swapping old for new off the shelf (if thats even possible if not sold out) , especially if the purchaser had made “in warranty” mods like weathering etc.

most of whats listed on his site, isnt 2019 stuff, its older.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1