EBay madness

Marcyg

I'm curious about their choice of the word "TESTED".

It might mean : We tested it and it's running very well, from very low speeds all the way to full speed, in both directions.

(and most would hope or assume that)

Sometimes it seems to mean : We tested it to destruction and these are the pieces that were left afterwards.

(like that GWR Pannier loco with the bent crankrods, but appearances can be deceptive)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Seller name Bann1977 - listing various locos as 8DCC or 6DCC with prices £300+ (which would suggest DCC fitted) but then description reads “DCC ready”. Now either it is sloppy listing on his part, or perhaps a cunning plan to extract a much higher price for models!

I won’t be buying from this particular seller!

10 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Is it eBay's automatic suggested pricing at work, where the system thinks it's the Hornby Dublo 3-rail City of Liverpool which apparently was one of the more collectable items?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, 298 said:

Is it eBay's automatic suggested pricing at work, where the system thinks it's the Hornby Dublo 3-rail City of Liverpool which apparently was one of the more collectable items?

No, he's a long time comedian/rip off merchant.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, cactustrain said:

Just had this feedback on a sale:

Clipboard01.jpg.2a93f91d5df65ba7e1b775c9b42306aa.jpg

And this after setting the starting price at 99p and photographing every sprue in the box. All the parts were there, so I am responsible for whoever designed the kit 50 odd years ago!? Words fail me....

Does ebay let you give feedback on his feedback? Can you suggest he is welcome to give his feedback to the original manufacturer? Should Airfix start producing a 1:1 scale kit?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/11/2019 at 20:18, cactustrain said:

Just had this feedback on a sale:

Clipboard01.jpg.2a93f91d5df65ba7e1b775c9b42306aa.jpg

And this after setting the starting price at 99p and photographing every sprue in the box. All the parts were there, so I am responsible for whoever designed the kit 50 odd years ago!? Words fail me....

Perhaps you ought to have taken a hammer to the sprues, before posting!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, kernowtim said:

Rare 1948 Hornby cattle truck?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323987866497

Would be rare in 1948, as they Only made 22,000 for train sets 1990-93.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=814

But that's why it's rare, it was made 35 years before the other 22000 :)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, kernowtim said:

I did message the seller, they thanked me for pointing out the error and amended listing, also offered it at £20 plus postage!

At least the seller was willing to accept your advice and act on it.

Some just ignore you and insist they are right.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, rab said:

At least the seller was willing to accept your advice and act on it.

Some just ignore you and insist they are right.

I've had that with mis-described photographs, including one who said he took the picture so knew where it was and that I was wrong, I don't bother any more.

• Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

'Before you lovely rivet counters go rushing for the reference books, this layout is totally out of my imagination' - a bit like the asking price then

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Railway-models-oo-gauge-layouts/312806760368?hash=item48d4bc5fb0:g:reUAAOSw0L9dp3Ws

I can only take so much EWS red.

• Agree 3

22 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

'Don't make any offers until you've seen it first' - thanks I've seen enough already

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trainset-00-Scale-Layout/264528215522?hash=item3d971c3de2:g:ZwgAAOSwHgtdNFmz

What sold it for me was the German HO coaches behind what looks like a green Princess class, and the use of that well known goods yard shunting engine a Battle of Britain class. These little details add so much and allow the prospective customer to reach an informed decision.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

On 18/11/2019 at 14:20, Corbs said:

One from Rails this time.

VERY GOOD, UNBOXED CONDITION

TEST RUN

Did the wheels slip on the axles after the test run, I wonder?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-OO-GAUGE-GWR-GREEN-7768-0-6-0-PANNIER-TANK-3F/153722289543?hash=item23ca8ffd87:g:qVMAAOSwteRdyuIU

s-l1600.jpg

I've had two really bad experiences, one from Rails and one from Hattons when buying used locos described in glowing terms with words like "mint", "as new" and so on in the listing only to find really basic items like buffers, handrails, glazing and couplings missing and the two bodyshells being either dusty in one case and stinking of tobacco in the other that I simply don't buy anything but new RTR stuff from the box shifters any more. One gets the impression that the staff who describe and put up the used items on their websites are not familiar with the models they're selling or just don't care.

I'm also sat here wondering exactly what is an "unboxed condition". Being out of its box is not a "condition".

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

One gets the impression that the staff who describe and put up the used items on their websites are not familiar with the models they're selling or just don't care.

There are a few examples of that on a Sheffield based box-shifter/2nd hand seller listings.

For example, a US loco is described as a SD40, whereas it is clearly some form of GP [*]

A SD has 6 axles - a GP has 4

[*] of which there are very many sub-types of GP, but it doesn't take too long to find out.