EBay madness

Marcyg

On 03/09/2019 at 10:12, Wolseley said:

you would expect it to uncouple every vehicle passing over it in either direction

I can think of a few fairly niche applications where you might want this. For instance, I once looked at doing a layout on which fixed length trains would run into a run-round loop, so the ramp to uncouple the loco could be fixed as uncoupling would always be needed. Even then, though, I can’t quite see the point unless it makes it a lot more simple/robust than having a raising and lowering one. In any case I find it difficult to understand how the fixed ramp can be high enough to always reliably uncouple, yet still low enough for moving stock to run over it safely but I may not be familiar enough with the coupling type.

Edit: unless the difference between ‘uncoupling ramp’ and ‘uncoupling rail’ is important, and magnets are involved.

Edited by 009 micro modeller

11 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

I can think of a few fairly niche applications where you might want this. For instance, I once looked at doing a layout on which fixed length trains would run into a run-round loop, so the ramp to uncouple the loco could be fixed as uncoupling would always be needed. Even then, though, I can’t quite see the point unless it makes it a lot more simple/robust than having a raising and lowering one. In any case I find it difficult to understand how the fixed ramp can be high enough to always reliably uncouple, yet still low enough for moving stock to run over it safely but I may not be familiar enough with the coupling type.

Undoubtedly it would have its uses, but the problem is that Meccano Ltd never produced any such item.  There was a static uncoupler produced for the Simplex coupling, but it was made by Peco, for use with Peco Streamline track.

unless the difference between ‘uncoupling ramp’ and ‘uncoupling rail’ is important, and magnets are involved.

Using magnets may be a bit difficult with Dublo three rail, as the track base is made from tinplate.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, RFS said:

Ah but that one didnt fetch £795 because it didnt sell at that price, it sold to the 'best' offer which unfortunately isnt stated, a seller can put any (ridiculous) price they want but it doesnt follow that people are willing to pay those prices, here is another even sillier one-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-00-GAUGE-R9684-THOMAS-THE-TANK-MURDOCH-DCC-FITTED-LOCOMOTIVE-RARE/273977241741?hash=item3fca50f08d:g:npUAAOSw4u9dYA0y

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Gold

I know these go for silly money but it's clearly been opened. Several times. So he's asking £300 for something that might not even be complete.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ian-Kirk-Gresley-Quad-Art-articulated-coaches-set-all-third-Kit-00-4mm-Unopened/274000189014?hash=item3fcbaf1656:g:-5oAAOSwW3FddWxr

The sad thing is, he'll probably get it...

12 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I know these go for silly money but it's clearly been opened. Several times. So he's asking £300 for something that might not even be complete.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ian-Kirk-Gresley-Quad-Art-articulated-coaches-set-all-third-Kit-00-4mm-Unopened/274000189014?hash=item3fcbaf1656:g:-5oAAOSwW3FddWxr

The sad thing is, he'll probably get it...

He has said its complete. If anyone is daft enough to buy it and then finds it is missing parts , then simply get a refund via ebay, via a ebay case if he refused to refund.

Personally, I think they are rubbish kits ,poor quality ,overthick sides , roofs that do not  fit,  and very poor detail . MJT are years ahead in what they offer. (yes I know they dont offer artic units).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, micklner said:

He has said its complete. If anyone is daft enough to buy it and then finds it is missing parts , then simply get a refund via ebay, via a ebay case if he refused to refund.

Personally, I think they are rubbish kits ,poor quality ,overthick sides , roofs that do not  fit,  and very poor detail . MJT are years ahead in what they offer. (yes I know they dont offer artic units).

That’s quite a harsh statement.  For the price they were originally sold at Ian’s kits were/are pretty good value and with a bit of modelling work can be made into decent layout coaches.  

Darius

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, micklner said:

I've built the Twin-art and have a Quad in the pile. They make up into perfectly respectable kits and with work (grabrails etc.) can happily sit alongside RTR. Describing them as "rubbish kits" means you are either being deliberately provocative to get a response, or simply haven't built enough kits to spot really rubbish ones.

• Agree 5

3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

I've built the Twin-art and have a Quad in the pile. They make up into perfectly respectable kits and with work (grabrails etc.) can happily sit alongside RTR. Describing them as "rubbish kits" means you are either being deliberately provocative to get a response, or simply haven't built enough kits to spot really rubbish ones.

These kits are 30 plus years old designs and reflect that standard .

As already said the fit of parts is poor in the extreme. i had forgot to mention earlier the deep set at least 1.5mm windows on these kits due the thickness of the sides.  They reflect the standard of that time , I wasn't been provactive or anything else so it is  ridicoulous to suggest as such either, the statement is a simple fact of the standard model they produce as supplied. 

I have at least 12 Kirk Coaches in my built stash of LNER Corridor and Suburban versions , and  a LNER Tourist set with flush sides , none of them would ever be run with my current r.t.r. , all have had replacement MJT underframes and bogies fitted , 1. to improve the look of them 2. too actually make them run without derailing , this adds much need low down weight to the coaches.

The faults, most of which are unsolvable, are as already listed by me above. To say they look good compared to the current Hornby and Bachmann LNER  r.t.r is  simply wrong. They are better than the old r.t.r versions from the same period of moulding, nothing more or less. 

The statement was made to warn people, just because they are now selling at crazy prices, doesnt mean they are very good kits. For the prices being asked they should be, but they are simply not .

Buyer Beware.

Edited by micklner

3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

That’s quite a harsh statement.  For the price they were originally sold at Ian’s kits were/are pretty good value and with a bit of modelling work can be made into decent layout coaches.  

Darius

I was refering to the prices people are willing to pay for them now . When they were cheap , I agree they were good value, sadly those days are long gone .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, micklner said:

I was refering to the prices people are willing to pay for them now . When they were cheap , I agree they were good value, sadly those days are long gone .

Agreed this example is grotesquely  overpriced, but the item is not rubbish in my opinion.  

89D80985-EA3D-4D20-8B63-86A2F267B95A.jpeg.60b8267da7bbc01b49ae42322ffe104c.jpeg

Each to their own.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

Some "justification" for the price being sought by the vendor has been posted on a FB Group - good luck to him if it does go for what he wants, but just because a previous example went for silly money via an auction, it doesn't always follow that a subsequent one will, particularly if it's a high opening price or B-I-N.

• RMweb Premium

Have a laugh at the error laden description, don't forget to request the coal load to be fitted upon purchase and then give the whole thing a decent burial...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scrapped-Abandoned-Graffitied-MK1-Blue-Grey-Coach-wagon-PRO-WEATHERED-LOOK/401885937891?hash=item5d9244c0e3:g:F4cAAOSwxU9dfpy5

• Funny 3