EBay madness

Marcyg

Not quite as mad as some, but if you were wanting £1900 for an item, wouldn’t you take the effort to photograph it well and write a good description? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F322727811666

That thing- I first saw it at £1500 so offered what I thought was a reasonable price considering its basically a Bachmann G scale coach with a few extra bits added.

I later upped this offer to £40 and was refused, and have been watching it appear dropping every month, latterly at £150. The scary thing is those resin bits on it from a supplier in Shrewsbury and professionally fitted might have commanded such a price, and the seller who has probably inherited it found the invoice...

• RMweb Premium

That thing- I first saw it at £1500 so offered what I thought was a reasonable price considering its basically a Bachmann G scale coach with a few extra bits added.

I later upped this offer to £40 and was refused, and have been watching it appear dropping every month, latterly at £150. The scary thing is those resin bits on it from a supplier in Shrewsbury and professionally fitted might have commanded such a price, and the seller who has probably inherited it found the invoice...

Are you looking at the same model? The link is to an 0 gauge interurban, not G scale, and is still priced at 1900 not 150.

Rgds

Are you looking at the same model? The link is to an 0 gauge interurban, not G scale, and is still priced at 1900 not 150.

Rgds

Yes, definitely the same. It's fairly easy to convert them from 45mm to 32mm. As for the price....

• RMweb Gold

Trying to cash in on the eBay “Thomas” stuff sells like hot cakes trend perchance?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marklin-OO-HO-Thomas-Custom-Hugo-the-Rail-Zeppelin-Scheinenzeppelin-NO-MOTOR-/183544179029

No motor is one thing - it would most likely have been a Marklin 3-rail AC type anyway - but non rotating bogies is a bit limiting. Perfect for that simple plank layout.

Cheers

Darius

PS and with these we can all have a go...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Bachmann-THOMAS-AND-FRIENDS-CUSTOM-TROUBLESOME-TRUCK-FACES-X-4-CLASSIC-/123465320495

Edited by Darius43

Märklin stuff is always expensive, but £40 seems a bit much. It would probably be worth more left alone. Since the leading bogie appears to have been glued on skew, it won't do straight either. The prototype only had 4 wheels. Probably rather bouncy at 143 mph, apart from all the other problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schienenzeppelin

Suggestions brought up this. I have a 3 rail (rather than stud contact) one stashed away somewhere, I can't see how it can be untested, as it operates by the weight of the train on the centre section (the barriers bounce up and down as it passes). Perhaps the seller intends the stop light (only one! :scratchhead: ).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marklin-Level-Crossing-7390/273566640336?_trkparms=aid%3D333200%26algo%3DCOMP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180409081753%26meid%3Dee1c6361c62b4caba4db971d9632ec9c%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D183544179029%26itm%3D273566640336&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219   

"add a fun and unique touch to your wagons.Looks great on any layout, especially a Thomas themed one!"

I would say only a Thomas themed one!

Edited by Il Grifone

The use of English is interesting

I noticed that! i put it down to being a lost art thanks to the dumbing down of education through stopping the teaching of English grammar in schools.

Seeing that they were crowing about the number of A+ passes this year, I looked at a sample Physics paper. We would have laughed at it when we were at school. For example, there is an attached list of formulae. We had to know them! No calculators either - logarithmic tables!

Some time ago I saw it suggested that C. B. Collett wouldn't have been able to easily see the differences small changes in the design of the 'Kings' would have made to the tractive effort, not having the advantage of a calculator. I am sure he was quite capable of using a slide rule (and knew the tractive effort formula).

• RMweb Gold

Theres nothing more gratifying then seeing an ebay buyer at there very best..

A period of time has now passed, so i can reveal..

i sold a Bachmann limited edition, from the 1990’s. I bought it new out of paper-round money at the time and slowly paid for it over the year, as other things (such as cheap lima locos took priority).

When i eventually got it, like all Bachmann boxes.., nice to look at but never used.

Here we are now, i’m clearing out on some stuff, one last look, scrap sentiment and decide its to go.

A week later, the buyer claims its not working, its not DCC ready and the motors blown..

Big sigh, here we go...

As ebay is infinitely in the buyers pocket, the best thing is to go along with it... issue a return label to get whats left back.

I always ban someone who returns anything, regardless of issue, as a matter of course.

Sounds harsh, but first instinct is usually the right one.

Item arrives back, really, nice and clean, much better in fact that when i sold it.

I plonk it on the track, and off it goes like a shot.

Head scratch ?

I look in the box, and find two certificates, two name plates and two parts bags unopened....

Eh ?

Finally i look at the chassis block.. i can see the screws have been adjusted, by comparing pre-sale to post return images, but the correct certificate number to mine is on the base plate, well it matches one of the two i now have.

I looked through completed sales, and it seems another like it was sold as a non-runner a few months earlier and its condition looked.. well better than mine did... i wonder...?

awry smile now. Happily refunded, i can only guess that the loco i got back, was perhaps not the one I was supposed to recieve back. Ebay duly informed, with images, I today looked at my blocked bidder list.. seems that buyer is no longer registered...

Sellers do have some power, even if it costs you postage, but in this case Ive got a smile too, shame, his feedback was in the thousands, at the time i was suspicious, but his feedback was good and very current.

I’m going to keep it now, its history just gave me a story for another few decades.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 6

That one has a very unusal address, Is it a " funds collector" , beware...

I don't expect he'll be troubled by many purchases.

Whatever turns you on!  :)

A strange way to display one's wares! I assume the Deltic is one of GBL's offerings?

The suggestions show a load of overpriced H & M products. All past their 'sell by date' I would say.

The Deltic looks to be a body moulding only....no protuding couplings or buffers....so quite possibly LIMA, as are a number of the other parts, etc!

• RMweb Gold

Maybe not such a good deal afterall, its landed back in my inbox as a second chance deal, I was outbid £50+ ago, so its dropped through the price levels.

Anyways now it appears to have two scratches and lights in one direction only.

I’ll pass.

• RMweb Gold

A strange offering from a stamp dealer!

I have used my own before scenically, but  not for ballast though(!) and are better to use in a used dry condition but using this is very 'old hat'!

• RMweb Gold

I predict that this will not be a good seller...

Cheers

Darius

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triang-Hornby-R32-TC-Series-Transcontinental-tender-oo-gauge/372515740382?hash=item56bbab1ade:g:QO8AAOSwMjtb9qdx

I would have thought that since it is only the empty box on sale it would have been good practice to put it in the heading. It would have saved me clicking on the link.... I presume the cardboard packing pieces are missing since they aren't mentioned.

Aside from that, the price is a bit steep, even if it had been the tender. I paid that for an almost complete working locomotive (no valvegear/cylinders and a warped acetate tender) The locomotive is the later plastic version and OK apart from a broken cab step. (A good body cost me £2.50 at a toy fair)