EBay madness

Marcyg

Quite a nice item, but fairly worthless with a black knight missing.

Perhaps the idea is to calm the mind during those periods when nothing goes right with the railway....

(For example, I was assembling a wagon last night and removed the wheelsets to make final adjustments to the underframe. When i went to put them back, one had vanished into thin air!  :O  :scratchhead:)

Edited by Il Grifone

Very Nearly Mint In Box.

What planet is this buffoon on?

Mike.

The overpriced dealer planet, where everyone has an grossly inflated idea of the value of their wares.

These don't come in mint. The last straight one I saw was the 'Pauline' I had new as a boy. She went in the bin eventually (late 50s/early 60s) for warping. Normally they are a fiver or less. Add a bit for the box and we are still nowhere near what is being asked here. New they were 27/6d which roughly equates with Hornby's superior product, which would be a better way of spending one's money.

Edited by Il Grifone

From Cartmel (again).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRAHAM-FARISH-MODEL-No-XXX-PULLMAN-PHYLLIS-PARLOUR-CAR-VN-MIB/401442198750?epid=746588946&hash=item5d77d1d4de:g:jMoAAMXQR-dREQrn

As stated, these are prone to distortion (though this one is worse than most), but the price is ridiculous (even allowing for the box).

The plastic body shrinks and the die-cast floor expands and/or warps. (Zinc pest - the bogies tend to disintegrate to powder.)

They're not all that rare and should have die-cast Pullman bogies - these are Hornby.

That would be perfect if you were modelling Snailwell.

The scrapyard firing tunnel, obviously!

Not at that price though....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heljan-EMPTY-CLASS-35-HYMEK-LOCO-BOX-INSERT-INSTS-ETC-SEE-PHOTOS-THE-POSH-BOX/352374863499?hash=item520b2db68b:g:kn8AAOSw5QFaWIaR

Never heard of a Heljan Hymek box described as “Posh” before, maybe my misses would like one for her jewellery... £29.99 for that box you know ! + postage.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

The only reason I can think of to buy an empty box is so you can put a nice but unboxed loco in it and then sell it claiming it is 'mint in box'. I've half a mind to build something intentionally ridiculous (say a Network Rail branded Stephenson's Rocket, badly made from a Dapol kit, complete with Thomas face, hauling a mark 2 that's been sprayed gold) and then put it on Ebay just to see what ridiculous price people are willing to pay. :) ;)

• Like 3

The only reason I can think of to buy an empty box is so you can put a nice but unboxed loco in it and then sell it claiming it is 'mint in box'. I've half a mind to build something intentionally ridiculous (say a Network Rail branded Stephenson's Rocket, badly made from a Dapol kit, complete with Thomas face, hauling a mark 2 that's been sprayed gold) and then put it on Ebay just to see what ridiculous price people are willing to pay. :) ;)

Cut out the middle man - i'll buy it :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Something similar was done in the 1970s in Model Railway Constructor, where a model appeared of a 0-6-4T, made of bits and pieces of various Airfix kits.

Found it, its photo appeared in MRC for 1974 March page 90. It is actually a 0-4-6T for the Standing Idle Railway, in its rebuilt form by CME Cuthbert Bone. Its drive was somewhat unusual with a coupling rod on one side only. It was known as the Bone-Idle system!

The model was a result of the Model Railway Destructor review, which appeared in the previous December issue.

Then there was an article on building your own HST, from 2nd hand parts from the family scrap metal merchant.

• Like 1

Unfortunately under "make offer" they do not have "here is a bin bag for them"

:jester: That sounds like a fair swap. :jester:

I offered £3 or 4 which is about what they're actually worth. They're great for kitbashing and rebuilding but not at that price. Unsurprisingly my offer was declined but I may try again in a couple of weeks just to see if they're getting desperate.

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Like 1

Something similar was done in the 1970s in Model Railway Constructor, where a model appeared of a 0-6-4T, made of bits and pieces of various Airfix kits.

Found it, its photo appeared in MRC for 1974 March page 90. It is actually a 0-4-6T for the Standing Idle Railway, in its rebuilt form by CME Cuthbert Bone. Its drive was somewhat unusual with a coupling rod on one side only. It was known as the Bone-Idle system!

The model was a result of the Model Railway Destructor review, which appeared in the previous December issue.

Then there was an article on building your own HST, from 2nd hand parts from the family scrap metal merchant.

There was a bloke - Jack Newton? - in MRC who scratchbuilt his own BR 9F, with twin motors. If it still exists, it might probably still hold its own against the Bachmann one.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've just bought a couple of editions of Yeadons. On eBay, one was just over £20, the other was about £27. Both new, but seemed expensive. Hmm, thought I...

A quick (2 minute) search, and I got both from Booklaw, including postage, for £26.99

The madness of people thinking that because it's on eBay, it MUST be cheap, never fails to amaze...

Hornby DUBLO 3-RAIL PRE-WAR EDP1 "SIR NIGEL GRESLEY" TENDER RESTORED

If this is a restored item, I would hate to think of what an unrestored one looks like.....

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hornby-DUBLO-3-RAIL-PRE-WAR-EDP1-SIR-NIGEL-GRESLEY-TENDER-RESTORED-UNBOXED/142828816261?hash=item214142c785:g:m8UAAOSwuHJbHUQ9