EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to disagree with this.

But I worked in a BL parts department in the early 80's and can assure you that if the same part was fitted to any model in the range, it had one part number and was sold at the same price.

I stand corrected.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to disagree with this.

But I worked in a BL parts department in the early 80's and can assure you that if the same part was fitted to any model in the range, it had one part number and was sold at the same price.

I hate to disagree with an expert, but the brake and clutch cylinders, (at least), from a "lesser" model, that I fitted to my P6 were exactly the same as the original factory fitted ones I removed, down to the casting numbers, and obviously dimensions.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

I do agree that some aftermarket parts will be equal to genuine ones (most won't be) - but that's still not my point. It's the fact that sellers draw attention to their sales by misusing the word "genuine". Simple as that. Creates a wood for the trees scenario when you are looking for something specific and is misleading for those who aren't aware.

Here's a good example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233-T4W-Halogen-Side-Park-Lights-Bulbs-Genuine-Replacement-Head-Lamps/351576401630

What have I started  :jester:

Edited by Bucoops

But Ford don't actually produce the part so how is it a 'genuine' Ford part?

You buy all the 'genuine parts you want and I will continue to use the big parts dealers to provide me with parts to exactly the same specification but at a much cheaper price,that way you can feel all superior with your 'genuine' parts while I buy lots of stuff with the money I have saved.

I would bet all that money I have saved that my 'aftermarket' parts will last just as long as your 'genuine' parts.

The 'genuine' part with have Ford's backing and guarantee. The other part, even if identical, won't. It could well invalidate the guarantee on the whole vehicle.

This of course applies to anything. That said, guess what I use....

Years ago, it was said a part for a Mercedes (a dynamo IIRC - shows how long ago) cost £24 whereas the same identical part for a Volvo was about half that. I suspect it would have been made for both by Bosch. At the same time all British manufacturers fitted Lucas parts which were all identical

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

I worked for a major Tyre manufacturer for many years, what they did was an eye opener to anyone paying top dollar at a fast fit outlet,  All tyres went through a "uniformity testing rig" which basically tested for vibration influences, tyres within certain limits were classed as "OE", the rest as "Replacement".  The tyre firms had contract with the major car manufacturers and sold the OE tyres at very low prices, which suited both parties as the car manufacturer got cheap tyres and the tyre manufacturer had their brand of tyres fitted to the new cars, which usually meant someone replacing worn tyres would want to replace with the same brand, which would be the premium brand made by the tyre company = biggest profit.

For each size of tyre, the factory made several brands, from high priced premium brands to the budget brands, but the secret was that it was exactly the same green tyre that went into each mould, same rubber, same fabric, same steel belt, the only difference was the tread pattern and what was moulded onto th esidewall.  In addition, as it was more expensive to stop an extruder t to run different grades of tread for say HR and VR speed rated tyres they just ran the VR grade for the HR and VR tyres

Something to bear in mind before you but your next top brand tyre!

Jim

Sorry to burst your bubble, but aftermarket parts are most definitely not coming from the same factory as the real deal, and usually do not last anything like the length of time a proper part does. For a lot of parts it doesn't really matter, but for some stuff that is particularly awkward to get at it makes sense to use the proper stuff. (think water pumps that need the timing belt off to change etc).

I could argue this point vehemently with you but this isn't the place for it, but suffice to say that nearly half the time an aftermarket part will be better. Hondas have hilarious whiplash with this, for example. My motorcycle's aftermarket fork seals are junk but so is the genuine drive chain!

You are right that a "genuine" part will be made to the company's standards, but there is nothing to say those standards aren't utter crap. Despite it's claim of superior German engineering, the Ford Fiesta has woeful plastics and electronics that eat themselves, because the standards for parts materials were kept cheap and loose. Citroen have been plagued with the same issue for the better part of a decade, especially with their diesel components.

In many cases someone seizes the opportunity, and offers a better part that still comes out cheaper because it doesn't have the brand-name mark up.

I can also cite situations where no-name brands are produced literally from excess part stock of big brands. There's an off-brand make of power tools that are literally Ryobi tools without the brand stickers. Great Wall Motors started off as a Mitsubishi at heart, produced in the same factory, and "Mitsubishi" could be found cast into some of the components!

• RMweb Gold

I think we are on ebay madness - I've actually forgotten where I am what with all the car parts posts...........

Anyhow, those of you who know what a Clayton Type 1 (Class 17) looks like, I don't belive it looks like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Kit-00-Class-17-Clayton-Type-1-Bo-Bo-DE-Diesel-Shunter-D8579-BR-Green/312111607328?hash=item48ab4d2e20:g:koMAAOSwS7Na06mS

• RMweb Gold

There's a car parts place based in Kent that has maybe 4 selling accounts and they all have mark items for sale as genuine. Genuine is a keyword for genuine manufacturer parts eg. genuine ford. But they use it as genuine spark plug (as opposed to a fake spark plug?!) so everything is "genuine" for a ford. Reported it for keyword spamming so many times but ebay don't care it would seem.

Yeah, I bought front brake pads off one of their accounts, then unwillingly got the rear ones off another of their accounts, then to top it off got the discs all round from a third account of theirs, iirc it’s actually an arm of Arnold Clarke or one of the other big multi franchise dealer networks

In the end I got nothing as they couldn’t find any of the items I’d paid for on any of their databases and they refunded me (after getting dispatch confirmation and tracking numbers)

• RMweb Premium

I think we are on ebay madness - I've actually forgotten where I am what with all the car parts posts...........

Anyhow, those of you who know what a Clayton Type 1 (Class 17) looks like, I don't belive it looks like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Kit-00-Class-17-Clayton-Type-1-Bo-Bo-DE-Diesel-Shunter-D8579-BR-Green/312111607328?hash=item48ab4d2e20:g:koMAAOSwS7Na06mS

I saw the sellers name and thought - "that's a great cake!"

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's the air smoothed version

Ah the little documented 47/7 Manchester to Sheffield Push Pull trials.

• RMweb Gold

I like the seller’s statement in the listing:-

“I am a Hornby Thomas collector and I buy them at low prices”.

Selling them is another story it seems.

I suppose the rare “FACTORY ERROR” is the reason for the apparent escalation in value of this junk.

Darius

• Like 1

Definitely a case of "Who give's a..."!

Not worth 89.5p IMHO.... (for the pair!)

Hornby must have really got their money's worth out of this ghastly moulding!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have a box full of bits of Annie and Clarabels which is my spare parts source for my little lads Thomas collection. All picked up cheaply, the best parts picked off and put together.

Replacing the plastic wheel sets on various Thomas rolling stock with metal ones has so far been the most expensive part!

I would like to get him an Oliver and a Stepney but these are now going for extremely silly money.

• RMweb Premium

I have a box full of bits of Annie and Clarabels which is my spare parts source for my little lads Thomas collection. All picked up cheaply, the best parts picked off and put together.

Replacing the plastic wheel sets on various Thomas rolling stock with metal ones has so far been the most expensive part!

I would like to get him an Oliver and a Stepney but these are now going for extremely silly money.

Expect even higher prices for Thomas stuff...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133404-Hornby-to-end-the-thomas-the-tank-engine-range/

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Oliver and Stepney were 2 I managed to pick up for pennies years back, I can’t remember if I sold them or they are still languishing in a box somewhere as the youngest had no interest in Thomas

If I find them during my big move from the shed to garage I’ll let you know but I’m 99% sure I sold them