EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

More Thomas stuff going for ridiculous sums:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-00-GAUGE-THOMAS-R9684-MURDOCH-CLASS-9F-LOCOMOTIVE-BOXED/123034746565?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Diesel-D7101-Thomas-Range-R9097/142737002179?

I really don't understand this, they are both obscure characters made from very old toolings with a face bunged on the front.  Perhaps Hornby should run another batch off, seems it would make them a fortune!!

Then the rarity value would disappear along with the price.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

What annoys me most is that it is apparently working as I'm seeing more and more listings with that hideous green curtain!

Which must mean that someone is buying it.............. it's called a free market.

• RMweb Premium

As for dismantling stuff and selling separately.

I've just seen a Hornby Cross Country HST go in 4 lots from the same seller - 2 power cars, and three lots of two coaches in each - total was over £500...

Cheers,

Mick

I was hoping to pickup a few HO American 40' boxcars and a Bachmann Ge44/70 ton loco but my goodness prices are really silly now. It's neatly cheaper to buy new directly from the States.

Johna

There's a few of the older Spectrum ones going for cheap, if you're willing to risk needing to rebuild the motor bogies after the gears strip...

Personally I'd bite the bullet and find a seller in the US that has a large assortment and buy as much as you need in one transaction to get the most out of combined shipping. I basically do exactly the same thing with UK sellers.

I quite like it.

There is a fictitious locos thread - maybe there should be a fictitious rolling stock thread to match?

Thing is, I am sure I have seen a picture of one of these which is really getting to me because I cannot remember where or when I saw the picture to confirm it.

That or I have lost the ability to reconstruct actual memories and I have made this all up in my mind which is a distinct possibility given the lack of any actual evidence these bogie Toads i am thinking of existed.

Am I real even? What if I am a figment of someone else's imagination imagining a wagon that is also a figment of an imagination's imagination?

• Like 2

On the same lines with the Thomas and Friends, there's many that go for stupid money:

Diesel 101 (Bear) - £214

Toad - £64

Station Buildings - £76

Flying Scotsman - £216

Oliver - £300 (BIN)

Oliver - 170

Spencer - £470 (BIN)

Spencer - £300 (with DCC)

Spencer - £500 (BIN)

Spencer - £185

Murdoch - £800 (this was listed at £1000 a week ago)

Murdoch - £536

Murdoch - £511

Stepney - £103

Stepney - £132

There's been many a Murdoch over the last few months - stupid prices.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

Thing is, I am sure I have seen a picture of one of these which is really getting to me because I cannot remember where or when I saw the picture to confirm it.

That or I have lost the ability to reconstruct actual memories and I have made this all up in my mind which is a distinct possibility given the lack of any actual evidence these bogie Toads i am thinking of existed.

Am I real even? What if I am a figment of someone else's imagination imagining a wagon that is also a figment of an imagination's imagination?

Might you be thinking of this?

Not mad but an astonishing high bid for an old school/old hat kit. Good luck to the seller with whom l've dealt with positively in the past.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/P-C-Models-OO-brass-plastic-kit-GWR-Toplight-Corridor-Brake-3rd-PASSENGER-COACH/332602375158?hash=item4d70a57bf6:g:IvYAAOSwwARavOW1

You wonder how much a Slaters Toplight kit would fetch now....

• RMweb Premium

Just had a browse on eBay. I find it amazing how many list models as new, yet in the description it says as New used twice etc.

Also amusing at list prices, older models like the early 66’s or 37’s from Bachmann are started at near or the same as today’s RRP yet they are years old.

• RMweb Premium

Just had a browse on eBay. I find it amazing how many list models as new, yet in the description it says as New used twice etc.

Also amusing at list prices, older models like the early 66’s or 37’s from Bachmann are started at near or the same as today’s RRP yet they are years old.

And they sell quite regularly at those prices.

With the recent price hikes for new stuff, the secondhand market has seen an upsurge.

Two idiots getting carried away.

I reckon "7***a", the underbidder, is merely indulging in a spot of shilling to drive up the bid. It's pretty clear that he's seen the "protective" bid ahead of him and decided to attack it to see what the leading bidder's top bid is, possibly detecting (correctly) that there's little chance of him getting stuck with the kit.

Of course, what the winning bid eventually is, and whether it will be paid for, are two completely different things.