EBay madness

Marcyg

The question is, how do you kill a Lima motor? They're almost indestructible. Probably easily repaired, but not at that price.

Very difficult I would agree (the only duff one I have has a rather weak magnet), but it would appear it got though Quality Control in Vicenza and never did work (wire off, no brushes etc.???).

No comment on the price, but it would tempt me into parting with my Hornby HST....

Edited by Il Grifone

Its only madness if nobody buys it, if somebody does buy it at that price then it was a very astute decision.

Seems like they did, 'cause the link says not in stock. How much was it?

ps why oh why do Hattons show the second hand item in their searches when it's clearly been sold?

Edited by leopardml2341

Nothing rare about this. She's a rather beat up example of the standard 2 rail 4MT 2-6-4T body. The rare version is 80059, the late 3 rail one using the revised casting with the separate chimney.

From the blurb, it looks like someone dropped one, thinking they were getting an 80059.... Here £7 is pushing their luck! (Buffers are available on eBay, but are quite expensive - the broken one would need to be replaced and they usually come in sets of four..)

Hattons showing already sold items is down to duff software.

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

Was looking for some small items for Club juniors and chanced across this wagon.

Airfix 16t mineral:  https://tinyurl.com/yd8uvmcj

At that price I'll buy six new ones and have change for a tube of glue.

There is a collectors market for completely untouched ones but that says "some parts are off the sprue" which I would have thought reduced it's value to just a pound or two.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

There is a collectors market for completely untouched ones but that says "some parts are off the sprue" which I would have thought reduced it's value to just a pound or two.

Keith

The perceived 'value' varies with packaging (the seller has another one at 'only' £30 with a different box). These examples are both rather 'tatty', to use the technical term, so their 'collectible' worth is seriously reduced. As a rule of thumb, 'poor' condition is worth around 10% of the 'mint' value and 'average' 20/30%. A box to match can even double the value!  (No comment beyond  :O :o :O :scratchhead:).

I turned down a boxed example at £2.50 at a toy fair not so long ago, but then I do have quite a lot of Airfix 16 tonners already and one does have to factor in wheels (expensive these days) and couplings (likewise).

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-RTC-class-46-Ixion-orange-blue-mint-boxed-modelzone-32-700z-ltd-ed/182887133522?hash=item2a94ec3152:g:RagAAOSwUkdZmlZq

!!!!!

Edit: Goodness knows why this is duplicated 3 mins later :-/

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Premium

Probably a mis-click or a page slow to load so (s)he clicked again, I've done it myself here on RMWeb a few times, page hasn't seemed to respond or refresh, I've clicked Post again, and ended up posting the same thing twice a minute or two apart.

I saw this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIT-BUILT-Hornby-R2758X-CLASS-153-DMU-ANGLIA-RAILWAYS-52309-DCC-READY-MINT/192381244384?hash=item2ccad0d3e0:g:6m0AAOSwevlaH-ps after clicking around from one of the links above (to the SWT 159), and as I saw the words "Kit Built" and "Mint" and "Hornby Class 153" in the title, was expecting to see the seller's name say "Gostude" (*) so was pleasantly surprised to see what looks like a well repainted unit in the very attractive Anglia colours for a very reasonable price, despite the Gostudesque misuse of the term Kit Built...!

*In case you're new to this, just read back a few pages, the name comes up "occasionally" in this thread...  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Says item ended no bids also after DJMs announcement wait for all the Hornby ones to hit the market

Was available with a buy now too, so you can’t tell. Given DJs is going to be 3+ years away it doesn’t strike me as too bad if you really want one now.