EBay madness

Marcyg

Americans are well known for not being able to spell their own language!   :)

Ducks for cover....

(They probably say the same about us!?)

I can't forgive 'train station' however. (Or did this awful expression originate elsewhere?)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Getting away from model railways, but here we have a "Scarce Edison V-1-SERIAL # 3408 Amberola 1898 Cylinder Phonograph -ORIGINAL": https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Scarce-Edison-V-1-SERIAL-3408-Amberola-1898-Cylinder-Phonograph-ORIGINAL/142555478392?hash=item2130f7f978:g:s18AAOSwh1hZ9PBd

It is an Edison Amberola and it is one of the less frequently encountered early models (perhaps not "rare" but tending in that direction - it is certainly rarer than my later Amberola 30) but, as for the rest of the description:

- as for 1898, Edison did not decide to market a cabinet phonograph until 1909 and they did not arrive on the market until 1911  (I think this one is an Amberola V from 1913, but I'm not certain);

- the vendor says they think that it plays wax records.  It doesn't - if you tried to play one on it it would rip the record to shreds;

- they say it is "original" and the exterior is immaculate but the interior is rather worn and battered. Obviously someone started restoring it and never got around to doing the interior;

- it is advertised as "working" but the vendor says that they do not have a record to test it (unlike disc gramophones, Edison Machines do not have replaceable needles, they have a stylus permanently fixed to the sound head).

Wax records are the original from which the stamping is made and are not intended to be played. The results would be spectacular! (and destructive to both needle/stylus and record.

What is "Retune shipping" ?   :scratchhead:

Edited by Il Grifone

Indeed.

Some 'magical in box weathering' going on here, one of the pics shows it out of the box thus contradicting the description.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-32-679DS-CLASS-45-DCC-SOUND-TMC-Weathered/263280360377?hash=item3d4cbb7bb9:g:lKQAAOSwCPdZ8K~F

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1

Whatever happened to 'proof reading'?

An endangered species, the proof reader!

All this "Desk-top Publishing" is partly to blame.... now everyone is writer, editor, and compositor, and sometimes printer and publisher as well!

Symptoms include:-

Wrong word, but spelt correctly - Spell check suggests wrong word where the original is spelt incorrectly according to the spell check internal dictionary! (Which may well not know of Hornby...but does know about Horny!)

"Lost Text", E.G. the last sentence or so of a paragraph that have "dropped of the bottom of the page" during editing, and are thus lost. Alternately, an inserted illustration or "graphic" covers over some text, or otherwise displaces the text into oblivion.

Edited by Sarahagain

• RMweb Gold

Indeed.

Some 'magical in box weathering' going on here, one of the pics shows it out of the box thus contradicting the description.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-32-679DS-CLASS-45-DCC-SOUND-TMC-Weathered/263280360377?hash=item3d4cbb7bb9:g:lKQAAOSwCPdZ8K~F

That is breathtakingly pedantic! I don’t think there’s any ambiguity there.

Not at all.

There are many collectors who require exactly that.

Mike.

An endangered Species, the proof reader!

All this "Desk-top Publishing" is partly to blame.... now everyone is writer, editor, and compositor, and sometimes printer and publisher as well!

Wrong word, but spelt correctly - Spell check suggests wrong word where the original is spelt incorrectly according to the spell check internal dictionary! (Which may well not know of Hornby...but does know about Horny!)

"Lost Text", E.G. the last sentence or so of a paragraph that have "dropped of the bottom of the page" during editing, and are thus lost. Alternately, an inserted illustration or "graphic" covers over some text, or otherwise displaces the text into oblivion.

And not helped by spell checkers that speak American English. Back in the day (XP IIRC it disappeared with Vista) there used to be a proper English dictionary. If there is now. I haven't been able to find it. I seem to recall teaching mine to spell Hornby (and other useful words e.g. Dublo, Tri-ang etc.).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

An endangered Species, the proof reader!

Even spell checkers don’t spot random capitals though...

Not at all.

There are many collectors who require exactly that.

On ultra rare 1920s Bassett-Lowke maybe. A modern mass produced model...? Less so I’ll wager!

• Like 1

When does 'mint' mean paint damage ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIX-TRANS-PENNINE-1175-1973-FAB-RUNNER-INSTRs-UNUSED-DECALS-MAINLY-MINT-BOXED/202006494706?hash=item2f08867df2:g:uLQAAOSwo4pYD5S2

MODEL CONDITION: MAINLY MINT

(please see all photos.; there is minor paint loss
--------------------------------
When does OO mean HO?.
...and there's more.......

US $3,850.00 for a Cuneo print?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CUNEO-TERENCE-BRITISH-RAILWAYS-CONDOR-TRAIN/161233146017?hash=item258a3e90a1:g:8w4AAMXQEgpTCnib

The vendor claims it is hand signed by the artist but the "signature" they show in the listing is identical in all respects to the one on the original painting the print is taken from.  And, just to show how much they know about art, they classify the work as Art Deco!

Photos from the listing:

s-l500.jpg s-l500.jpg

And, for comparison:

Tri-ang_Hornby_catalogue,_Edition_18_fro

Actually, the vendor has some interesting things on their eBay store.  Pity about the prices though.....

• Like 1

When does 'mint' mean paint damage ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIX-TRANS-PENNINE-1175-1973-FAB-RUNNER-INSTRs-UNUSED-DECALS-MAINLY-MINT-BOXED/202006494706?hash=item2f08867df2:g:uLQAAOSwo4pYD5S2

MODEL CONDITION: MAINLY MINT

(please see all photos.; there is minor paint loss
--------------------------------
When does OO mean HO?.
...and there's more.......

.We do not have the facilities to test the locomotives. (can't afford a 9v battery then!).

• RMweb Premium

When one is talking Cartmel....

It's also true that Trix is neither 00 nor H0, so some confusion is inevitable.

3.8 mm to the foot l think IIRC.

What was the Rivarossi British outline stuff, true HO or something equally as odd?

1/80th scale.

What was the Rivarossi British outline stuff, true HO or something equally as odd?

It was the same 1:80 scale* as British Trix (and (most**) of their own Continental stock). For the North American market, they did their homework as that is H0 scale. In the 90s they started to switch all production to H0. I am certain that had the models been made to 4mm scale they would have sold well.  Launching a new scale is always risky. Meccano were considering an S scale range but thought better of it. Perhaps they saw what happened to Palitoy's range. (It's true only their Prairie tank was any good and using the c**ppy Ever-Ready 6 volt motor was unwise....)

* Nominally! It's rather hard to scale Trix as they had a rather elastic ruler. For example Trix buffer centres are set at 4mm (or more) spacing (Rivarossi buffers are at H0 spacing.)

Trix themselves are a bit vague as to scale. In their literature it varies from 1:90 to 1:76. IIRC in one of their year books (1956?) they state a scale mile as 60' 6" which works out as H0 scale.

** Some items imported from the Trix Express and Pocher (Italian for and pronounced 'poker') ranges are H0 scale.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

4mm scale width and 3.5mm scale height? No wonder they look odd. I wanted a Rivarossi Royal Scot, until I saw one in the plastic. Nice rendition of LMS livery though, same true for the coaches.

• RMweb Premium

Were Kittle Hobby the importers for Rivarossi? They seemed to sell the Royal Scot's and LMS coaches, long after everyone else had given up? As late as January 1991, you could still buy 'Hector' and 5 coaches (Brake 3rd, 2 3rd's & 2 Ist's with different numbers for the latter) for 128.80 & 95.50 pounds respectively. As advertised in Railway Modeller.

Were Kittle Hobby the importers for Rivarossi? They seemed to sell the Royal Scot's and LMS coaches, long after everyone else had given up? As late as January 1991, you could still buy 'Hector' and 5 coaches (Brake 3rd, 2 3rd's & 2 Ist's with different numbers for the latter) for 128.80 & 95.50 pounds respectively. As advertised in Railway Modeller.

I think (but may be wrong) that the importers were someone in Oxford. Possibly Kittle Hobby bought up the remaining stocks?

The 4mm width is an inevitable result of trying to get overscale wheels into a BR prototype (and expect the result to go around model radii). It's a problem for the designers of the real thing.

I've a feeling that some of the Rivarossi* Italian models are a trifle broad in the beam. I can't find a dimensioned frontal elevation of the Gr. 835 0-6-0T. The Rivarossi model certainly looks too wide, but the H0 buffer spacing heightens the effect.

* The 1:80 scale older models. I can't speak for the recent 1:87 models. They are incompatible with what I already have and out of Grifone price range anyway. The severe price hike in the 80s (with the excuse of slightly better detail) was already too much. (For others too I feel, which would explain their financial problems in the 90s.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm, I never get why people put "info" like that on listings in the first place though.  It's utterly irrelevant.  It's like those that give a detailed history of (let's say) Eurostar design, build, politics, operations and maintenance to sell a Hornby Eurostar train set, or [let's say] describe the development of post war 1500V DC locos and EMUs to sell a Heljan EM2.  Pointless drivel that says nothing about what's actually being sold!