EBay madness

Marcyg

Not sure I understand why, but it's not the only one of the Thomas range to reach such lofty heights in value...

Wouldn't let my little one loose unattended with it at that price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Murdoch-from-Thomas-Range-/152471362233?hash=item2380005ab9:g:bYkAAOSw4CFYxx6x

Yes, about four years ago Model Railways Direct were knocking these out at £57 each. But Hornby Thomas stuff seems to have a cult following and out of production items can reach giddy heights - only to crash back if the item is re-run. 

It's not even the same thing!

Must be a much newer model.

Keith

It could well be. Lima revamped a lot of their models in the nineties, both detail-wise and price-wise. For example, coaches went up from about 10-15,000* lire (about £5 roughly at the time*) to around 40.000!  The detail (and length!) were much improved, but....

*Some were even sold off for around 5000£ in 'Standa' (The Italian version of Woolworth's - originally 'Standard'. but Mussolini thought it sounded too English! Like Woolworth's, it went bankrupt following the 2008 crash).

* The exchange rate was about 2,700, to the pound, but varied between  roughly 2,200 and 3,300. Today, it's £1 = 1.1530€ thanks to Brexit (1€ converted at 1936.27 lire making that 2232.52£ or around an all time low....)

He is also selling a break (sic) van.

Geoff Endacott

It used to be an accepted spelling.  Possibly from the result of lack of braking power? :O

(I would have put a jester, but it's not funny!)

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

I ran out of breath reading the description!

• Like 1

I ran out of breath reading the description!

I have to confess to not reading it before and see what you mean!

A couple of points come to mind - it's probably the sanding that caused the track to to rust in the first space - solution replace with nickel silver! - and I'm not sure that superglue will "easy fix" the bogie (assuming that is what is meant by "wheel carrier"). My attempts at sticking them back together have never worked; the joint always seems to fail. Of course, they are plastic and quite fragile in the first place.

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure that superglue will "easy fix" the bogie (assuming that is what is meant by "wheel carrier"). My attempts at sticking them back together have never worked; the joint always seems to fail. Of course, they are plastic and quite fragile in the first place.

Usually the plastic is of the slightly flexible type and superglue or poly cement wont really make a permanent fix.

IMHO whover paid £50 got quite a lot for their money.

2 layouts (one very basic!) some locos and stock, more than enough for a "young un's" starter set.

Plenty of play value "off the shelf"

Keith

....IMHO whover paid £50 got quite a lot for their money.

2 layouts (one very basic!) some locos and stock, more than enough for a "young un's" starter set.

Plenty of play value "off the shelf"...

....and potentially making it all back, plus a bit more, if broken down and sold as individual items?

• RMweb Gold

Well it's not a model, but I think it's madness to get a photograph of Scotsman none the less....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exclusive-Access-to-Private-Viewpoint-To-See-The-Flying-Scotsman-Steam-Train-/112338189423?hash=item1a27e0bc6f:g:CG8AA%E2%80%8BOSwB-1Yy~er

13 people watching ???

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Well it's not a model, but I think it's madness to get a photograph of Scotsman none the less....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exclusive-Access-to-Private-Viewpoint-To-See-The-Flying-Scotsman-Steam-Train-/112338189423?hash=item1a27e0bc6f:g:CG8AA%E2%80%8BOSwB-1Yy~er

13 people watching ???

It's that exclusive - there's 5 available........

13 people watching ???

They're probably watching to see if anyone would be daf enthusiastic enough to take up the generous offer....

They're probably watching to see if anyone would be daf enthusiastic enough to take up the generous offer....

This could be the start of a trend, with sections of the lineside being licensed by landowners like fishing licenses on rivers, pay your fee and get access to fields over a certain distance!

This could be the start of a trend, with sections of the lineside being licensed by landowners like fishing licenses on rivers, pay your fee and get access to fields over a certain distance!

Let's hope not! These could be the people watching?  :O

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't a nickname for class 60's once called "logs" ?

A log was another nickname for a Class 50.

60's are tugs as they can pull anything

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A log was another nickname for a Class 50.

60's are tugs as they can pull anything

Cheers,

Mick

Ah so it's a tug in a bog I'm looking at.

:-)

31's were known as Toilets in the 1990s on the Barrow runs, as they had a reputation for failure when inside another loco, or as a pair, though I think first time I heard it was a Pwheli train with 31146/7 as a pair and one failed, neccessitating a complex run round to swap them for the return working (leaving it dead on the back wasn't the done thing in those days).

One of the Network North West enthusiasts Days in the 90's was particularly bad (iirc) it was in heat season, so 31/4's were inside to various freight locos, and invariably caused havoc in the schedule.

Toilet was : Thirty One, Inside Loco, Expect Trouble.

Edited by adb968008

Not madness but interesting : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODEL-RAILWAY-JOURNAL-ETCHED-BRASS-KIT-4mm-SCALE-MOTION-SET-FOR-LMS-4-6-0-/252823794646?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

I wonder why MRJ got involved with this. Anybody know anything?

It was produced back then, with MRJ's backing, because there was no aftermarket valve gear solution for LMS kits except maybe for Perseverance. The original frets were done, I think, in steel, and I think one was used for the improved DJH Black Five in issue 25.