EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

Ah......the fog is lifting now I'm sober!

I think my favourite comment on British Rail(ways) logos was a description of the BR arrow logo in a heraldry book as "a curiously dull non armorial symbol".

One which is highly recognisable and has turned out to be rather long-lasting. (I bet if BR still existed it would have had at least one more change of logo by now, though).

Fancied Lima's 50017 Royal Oak in NSE as a wee detailing project.  There were 5 on eBay last week, 2 auction and 3 on buy it now.  The buy it now were on at £45ish.  Two of them had the facility to offer on them.  I offered both of them over what I thought the auction ones would go for.  Both refused my offers and advised they wanted £35ish.  

As I had anticipated the first auction one ended at around £21 the night before last, so I reoffered again for one of the buy it now ones, advising them of the prices they were going for on auction and a second one was due to end that night.  Again offered above the price the auction one had gone for and what I thought the second one would go for on auction.  Response came back, turned down offer and said they were still looking for £36.  They referred me to their feedback, still not sure why they think their presumably excellent feedback makes a £20 model worth £36.

As expected the second auction one ended last night, again as predicted went for around £21, sadly mobile phone difficulties meant my last minute bid was too slow, so I missed out :sad_mini: . Oh well anyway I am sure another auction one or two will come along soon.

I presume these guys eventually get their £45 for them, but only time will tell.

Edited by Waverley47708

That particular seller is "always making space for more trains". I suspect he's a trader trying to make his profile look like a guy selling off a few odds and ends thereby hoping people will be happy to pay a bit more....

Clearly a dealer and does not hide the fact. Normally when making space its shorthand for reducing prices. Just look at this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/00-GAUGE-4mm-GEM-LNWR-WEBB-2-4-2T-TANK-LOCOMOTIVE-KIT-/232194846798?hash=item360fe4304e  A new kit is £32 with a decent box, though there are a couple of extra bits in the box

I just think like some others put higher prices onto catch lazy buyers, or those who have trouble buying from the UK from abroad

• RMweb Gold

I had an offer accepted last night, but the seller didn't make the PayPal option available, and hasn't stated what method of payment she prefers.....!  :scratchhead:

Maybe you could offer an hour of your time in lieu?

The lion-holding-a-wheel was the crest (bit on top of the helmet) from the coat of arms granted to the BTC, and therefore used legitimately. I'm not sure what they could have done to legitimately use one facing the other way, but it would presumably have involved bunging money in the direction of the College of Arms and perhaps they thought turning their lions round would be more cost effective.

Or they could have just carried on using it facing the "wrong" way. The College of Arms might have grumbled but I doubt they could have done much to stop BR.  The court of chivalry which could have been used to stop them was last convened in 1954 and if I recall correctly they recommended that it wasn't convened again. 

Edited to add: Having dug out Boutell's Heraldry while my computer updated itself, the wording appears to have been: "If this Court is to sit again it should be convened only where there is some really substantial reason..." Whether forwards facing lions count as substantial is left as an exercise for the reader.

In Scotland the Lord Lyon King of Arms is still very active, they recently forced at least one football club to change their crest as it did not conform with the rules,

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I broke my own rule in not dealing with such 'immoderate, pricey' firms (the one above!) and got an absolute bargain for the last quarter item to go with the other three-quarters and l now have a complete EMU, albeit 'old school'! :sungum:

Edited by Re6/6

• RMweb Premium

I'm currently looking for ScotRail 47/7's and have just purchased the Heljan 47715 Haymarket, a depot where I used to be based.

Spotted this Bachmann repaint. Nothing too major other than taking the original RES liveried model and painting it back into the former Scotrail livery it carried. However, the error occurs in retaining the Waverley nameplate. As while 47 701 in RES livery was indeed named Waverley, this only happened in 1991 with the RES livery.

When 47 701 was in its ScotRail livery, it carried the name Saint Andrew, and the Waverley nameplate was allocated to 47 708.

Guess it's easy enough to remove plates and source/fit the correct ones but just sad to see someone has gone to the trouble of carefully repainting a loco, and then fitting the wrong nameplate to it!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Class-47-701-Waverley-Scotrail-conversion-Locomotive-/351944757919?hash=item51f18ad29f:g:7k4AAOSwA3dYVumv

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the Bargain Hunters thread or here. Of no interest to me (It's my favourite kettle but they ruined it by putting that  streamlining back on) this listing has mis-spelled Hornby, so is not likely to get any views.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/horby-train-/322375684420?hash=item4b0f169144:g:OykAAOSwo4pYLI7R

The chap has low feedback and the very basic title/description does make me wonder if its either a scam fake add or someone fencing stolen goods, who doesn't know what he's actually selling and how to list its features.

Looking at his feedback though, the majority is for Hornby models.

Searching for mis-spellings is often a good way of picking up a bargain on eBay, as this could be with other sellers selling this NRM exclusive for £150 or more.

I take no responsibility if you bid and it does turn out to be a scam. Buyer Beware, E&OE, Caveat Emptor, Do your own research etc ;)

Edited by Scottish-Exile
  • Like 1

Hornby 2017 Catalogue...

Here is what I think is the chaepest offer at the moment?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R8154-Hornby-Catalogue-2017-/332050773442?hash=item4d4fc4b5c2:g:jLwAAOSw2xRYbNgc

£6.99 Free Postage....

The same company also lists some at £0.99 Start, BUT with £1.99 Postage...

Some are paying more via auction than Buy It Now! :scratchhead:

New Low Price....

£6.89 FREE POSTAGE....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R8154-Hornby-Catalogue-2017-Edition-Sixty-Three-63-FREE-POSTAGE/122300370471?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40760%26meid%3D38a5835083d546248cefaa16ee044f48%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D332050773442

Edited by Sarahagain

• RMweb Premium

looking for £36.  They referred me to their feedback, still not sure why they think their presumably excellent feedback makes a £20 model worth £36.

I certainly consider feedback when I'm deciding what price I'm prepared to pay - if I'm buying something from someone with low feedback I think the risk should be priced in. (On the other hand, if there is plenty of feedback but it's poor then I just don't buy...)

I certainly consider feedback when I'm deciding what price I'm prepared to pay - if I'm buying something from someone with low feedback I think the risk should be priced in. (On the other hand, if there is plenty of feedback but it's poor then I just don't buy...)

Entirely agree feedback is important, but however good your feedback is it does not make a £20 loco worth significantly more especially when the sellers of the two which went for £21 presumably had good feedback too.

Edited by Waverley47708

• RMweb Premium

Entirely agree feedback is important, but however good your feedback is it does not make a £20 loco worth significantly more especially when the sellers of the two which went for £21 presumably had good feedback too.

Can't argue with that. And for me the "good feedback premium" certainly wouldn't make the difference between £20 and £36.

I wonder if he spent as much money doing the repaint as he might have spent on the proper Bachmann model of 10000?

Why? Am I missing something? Is the silver paint real silver?

Anyone want a red 'Mallard'?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Hornby-Dublo-Mallard-In-RED-4-6-2-3-Rail-Loco-Engine-Boxed-Good-Runner-/162340554375

No? Thought Not.....

Under the red, she is clearly blue and thus originally was 'Sir Nigel Gresley'. The real 'Mallard' always had a double chimney of course, as did the Dublo model, which was always BR green.

For once "rare" is correct. It's unlikely there's another one like this....

Edited by Il Grifone