EBay madness

Marcyg

On closer examination of the picture... either the number is printed backwards, or the lion is the wrong way round...

Now here's an enigma... as the production models the number is correct and the lion faces forwards...

Maybe he has a unique rarity afterall... better triple the price before someone notices.

The picture is reversed, for some reason...

On the Early Emblem locos, the Lion faced forwards on both sides. The Late Crest had the Lions facing in the same direction.

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Gold

Apparently this was to keep the heraldic police happy. BR only had a licence for one lion crest. Having a second crest with the lion facing the opposite way is a different crest for which they had no licence. The procedure for getting a second licence was so involved that BR decided not to bother.

Edited by Colin_McLeod

Apparently this was to keep the heraldic police happy. BR only had a licence for one lion crest. Having a second crest with the lion facing the opposite way is a different crest for which they had no licence. The procedure for getting a second licence was so involved that BR decided not to bother.

It took until 1959 for them to discover the error and start correcting it. I recall seeing an assembled Kitmaster Prairie tank in a shop window and wondering why they put the transfer on back to front. (I'm almost certain the kit I bought had forward facing lions, but it was a long time ago).

• Like 1

The picture is reversed, for some reason...

On the Early Emblem locos, the Lion faced forwards on both sides. The Late Crest had the Lions facing in the same direction.

On closer inspection you are right. The bit of plastic which passes for the vacuum pump is visible, so the photo shows the right hand side of the locomotive, but back to front.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMA-149927-BR-REGIONAL-RAILWAYS-CLASS-117-DMU-3-CAR-SET-51177-MINT-BOXED-nc-/192066417361?hash=item2cb80cf2d1:g:e5kAAOSwjDZYZ7lC

Apart from being neither mint nor boxed, nor a class 117, this Mint Boxed Regional Railways Class 117 is indeed in Regional Railways livery...

There appears to be more than a "One set of wheels" missing too!

• RMweb Gold

There appears to be more than a "One set of wheels" missing too!

"Some wheels have been removed in preparation for conversion to P4. The craftsmanship involved is substantial in these preparatory works and therefore the price the item is offered at represents a substantial discount to the cost of commissioning such work "

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMA-149927-BR-REGIONAL-RAILWAYS-CLASS-117-DMU-3-CAR-SET-51177-MINT-BOXED-nc-/192066417361?hash=item2cb80cf2d1:g:e5kAAOSwjDZYZ7lC

Apart from being neither mint nor boxed, nor a class 117, this Mint Boxed Regional Railways Class 117 is indeed in Regional Railways livery...

Though it was 99p start.  Buyers have pushed it to £41 at time of writing.

Edited by Metr0Land

....not madness.....but love the paint job! ......a bit cruel maybe..!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-kit-built-model-P-class-locomotive-/132045263106?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

The paint work is a bit thick, nothing a bath of caustic soda will cure. Given that the kit now will set you back £80, a set of Markit wheels axles etc about £40 motor and gears £30, still good value. But the chassis may be the old style cast whitemetal if not scratch built and again if it is the old style chassis it might have one of those nasty K's HMP2 motors, probably scratch built looking at the coupling rods. Still £52 verses £150 for new parts

• Like 1

C'mon guys, never mind Brexit, support you colonial model shops!!!!!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hornby-R3376-BR-Green-Class-71-E5022-electric-locomotive-OO-gauge-BNIB-/222364975843?hash=item33c5fc42e3:g:tB4AAOSwKOJYGxu4

We put up with this, but check their feedback... people buy from them???!!!

Sadly from Oz,

PeterC.

It's because of stuff like this that the likes of a certain Liverpudlian enterprise address a lot of packages to Australia. Many of those whinging about the internet killing the local trade have done little to help themselves. Except to the contents of the wallets of their dwindling customer base.

The paint work is a bit thick, nothing a bath of caustic soda will cure. Given that the kit now will set you back £80, a set of Markit wheels axles etc about £40 motor and gears £30, still good value. But the chassis may be the old style cast whitemetal if not scratch built and again if it is the old style chassis it might have one of those nasty K's HMP2 motors, probably scratch built looking at the coupling rods. Still £52 verses £150 for new parts

Went for £72 + postage, cant even buy a kit for that

This has been up for sale for a few weeks now - it's around £5 more than a completely new kit of the same coach would cost from Comet today

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/00-GAUGE-4mm-SCALE-COMET-COACHES-KW33-GWR-HAWKSWORTH-E164-CORRIDOR-BRAKE-COMP-/302144531200?hash=item465937ab00:g:8zIAAOSwiDFYMtlW

Judging from the old style Comet packaging this particular  kit is a few years old

Since Hornby have brought out their own r-t-r Hawkswoths recently this seller is somewhat optimistic - £30 to £35 would seem to be more realistic

• RMweb Gold

This has been up for sale for a few weeks now - it's around £5 more than a completely new kit of the same coach would cost from Comet today

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/00-GAUGE-4mm-SCALE-COMET-COACHES-KW33-GWR-HAWKSWORTH-E164-CORRIDOR-BRAKE-COMP-/302144531200?hash=item465937ab00:g:8zIAAOSwiDFYMtlW

Judging from the old style Comet packaging this particular kit is a few years old

Since Hornby have brought out their own r-t-r Hawkswoths recently this seller is somewhat optimistic - £30 to £35 would seem to be more realistic

That particular seller is "always making space for more trains". I suspect he's a trader trying to make his profile look like a guy selling off a few odds and ends thereby hoping people will be happy to pay a bit more....

• RMweb Premium

The lion-holding-a-wheel was the crest (bit on top of the helmet) from the coat of arms granted to the BTC, and therefore used legitimately. I'm not sure what they could have done to legitimately use one facing the other way, but it would presumably have involved bunging money in the direction of the College of Arms and perhaps they thought turning their lions round would be more cost effective.

Or they could have just carried on using it facing the "wrong" way. The College of Arms might have grumbled but I doubt they could have done much to stop BR.  The court of chivalry which could have been used to stop them was last convened in 1954 and if I recall correctly they recommended that it wasn't convened again. 

Edited to add: Having dug out Boutell's Heraldry while my computer updated itself, the wording appears to have been: "If this Court is to sit again it should be convened only where there is some really substantial reason..." Whether forwards facing lions count as substantial is left as an exercise for the reader.

Edited by Coryton

The lion-holding-a-wheel was the crest (bit on top of the helmet) from the coat of arms granted to the BTC, and therefore used legitimately. I'm not sure what they could have done to legitimately use one facing the other way, but it would presumably have involved bunging money in the direction of the College of Arms and perhaps they thought turning their lions round would be more cost effective.

Or they could have just carried on using it facing the "wrong" way. The College of Arms might have grumbled but I doubt they could have done much to stop BR. The court of chivalry which could have been used to stop them was last convened in 1954 and if I recall correctly they recommended that it wasn't convened again.

Stopes vs Grosvenor in the Court of The Star Chamber if my memory is still working at this time of night sitting in my local drinking the Black Country's finest?

That particular seller is "always making space for more trains". I suspect he's a trader trying to make his profile look like a guy selling off a few odds and ends thereby hoping people will be happy to pay a bit more....

The same seller has an old MSE kit for the Taff Vale CCT for nearly £40, although it is still available from London Road Models for a mere £28! And LRM's postage is less than half he is asking!

Though it was 99p start. Buyers have pushed it to £41 at time of writing.

Best get my one advertised then, in eBay lingo it would be mint boxed and converted to EM, but it's only a two car unit, or perhaps the money is in the centre car? :D

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Premium

Stopes vs Grosvenor in the Court of The Star Chamber if my memory is still working at this time of night sitting in my local drinking the Black Country's finest?

Scrope vs Grosvenor? That was 1389!

The 1954 case was Manchester Corporation v Manchester Palace of Varieties Ltd (says Wikipedia, and I think it's right. Too much effort to look it up in a real book).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Says a nameplate has fallen off, but doesn't state that its there for someone to refit, or has it fallen off and never to be seen again? The latter, I suspect.

A horrible livery for a Class 50. At least now its properly painted & named!

Scrope vs Grosvenor? That was 1389!

The 1954 case was Manchester Corporation v Manchester Palace of Varieties Ltd (says Wikipedia, and I think it's right. Too much effort to look it up in a real book).

Ah......the fog is lifting now I'm sober!
  • Like 1