EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

Wow...! I've got one of these in its box, from just after the war..... :O , http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-dublo-petrol-tanker-/322305931518?hash=item4b0aee38fe:g:Q98AAOSwal5YD4Qi 

I don't know anything about 'antique values' of early H/D but perhaps the first figure should be knocked off............ :scratchhead:

P.S.... perhaps the description 'train set' wouldn't be used by a 'proper' dealer. Check out the laziness and lack of information in the descriptions.

P.P.S.. seem to be a car spares dealer checking the feedback.....sad isn't it wasting time looking up that.....!

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1

Wow...! I've got one of these in its box, from just after the war..... :O , http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-dublo-petrol-tanker-/322305931518?hash=item4b0aee38fe:g:Q98AAOSwal5YD4Qi 

I don't know anything about 'antique values' of early H/D but perhaps the first figure should be knocked off............ :scratchhead:

P.S.... perhaps the description 'train set' wouldn't be used by a 'proper' dealer. Check out the laziness and lack of information in the descriptions.

P.P.S.. seem to be a car spares dealer checking the feedback.....sad isn't it wasting time looking up that.....!

He's having a laugh This http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-o-gauge-meccano-station-furniture-/322304951557?hash=item4b0adf4505:g:ymoAAOSwA3dYD3Hx for £450? 60-80 is realistic for one in very god condition!

Knock the first and last figures off and we are nearer right. The condition of the train is good, and the box is OK. The track should be eight curved rails, a two full straights*l, but they not too difficult to find so perhaps it's 'worth' a bit more. Knowing that it worked would boost the value too.

I received one of these for Xmas in 1952.  :)

* I think that the terminal rail should be straight, but I'm not 100% sure without checking.

This one is rather OTT too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-o-gauge-spares-or-repairs-/322304942581?hash=item4b0adf21f5:g:7yEAAOSwA3dYD3Kt

Keys are usually a fiver, the bit of flex is scrap for recycling and rest is only worth a few quid.

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

Just been beaten to the draw for a display cabinet on e-bay. I bid £16.70 with £4 postage to be added to that but at the last possible second I was outbid, £17.70. So I just purchased an identical item for £20.70 BIN including postage. :beee: :onthequiet:

• Like 3

Someone may have got a bargain at 99p though.

Probably not if you count the postage...  

IMHO This is one of the cases where the most valuable thing about the vehicle is the couplings (assuming they are Kadees and not clones!). These things are usually around £4-5.

It's only £12. Very attractive sum for a Bachmann Mk.1 of any variant these days. More likely it'll be the seller being disappointed rather than the buyer....

I used to make a point of never forking out more than £15 for a Mk.1 unless it was a Coopercraft kit.

• RMweb Gold

Setting a reserve no doubt deterred bidders as it was obvious there was no chance of a bargain, or even of a realistic bid winning the auction.

I don't understand why the auction wasn't started at £50 then?, ignoring the fact that the guy comes from somewhere left of planet zanussi if he thinks it's worth that in the first place.

Mike.

I don't understand why the auction wasn't started at £50 then?, ignoring the fact that the guy comes from somewhere left of planet zanussi if he thinks it's worth that in the first place...

I did say it was the seller who would be disappointed. Bidders have carte blanche to mess about without fear of getting anywhere near reserve!

.............. More likely it'll be the seller being disappointed rather than the buyer....

It was the seller who had my 'sympathy' - not!

£12 was the then current bid, with the tag line 'Reserve not met'

I did say it was the seller who would be disappointed. Bidders have carte blanche to mess about without fear of getting anywhere near reserve!

Exactly!

The BiN price of £50 surely shows a lack of appreciation of the market?

Remember the olden days when everyone had a treacle mine on their layout? Well here's the ideal train for the mine workers!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232131009650

Spotted on Facebook, in case anyone thinks I was searching eBay for something like this :).

Now that's proper modelling. Kids these days with their fancy RTR... we used to dream of models made from treacle tins. Our dad would carve crude trains from lumps of coal we'd steal from 't pit using only his teeth, and we'd play with them for minutes before we had to chuck them on 't fire to keep from freezing to death.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Now that's proper modelling. Kids these days with their fancy RTR... we used to dream of models made from treacle tins. Our dad would carve crude trains from lumps of coal we'd steal from 't pit using only his teeth, and we'd play with them for minutes before we had to chuck them on 't fire to keep from freezing to death.

After consuming all that treacle would he have any teeth left? Unless you mean his false gnashers.