EBay madness

Marcyg

Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to what this is? Bonus points available for anyone who can explain why it might be worth the tenner BIN price.

I've made an offer - if he gives me £20 I'll take it off his hands!

I really like the realistic rusty weathering on it...!!  :stinker:

Keith

Can someone tell me what the %*** a 'horse/mule wagon' is ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dapol-OO-LIMITED-EDITION-GWR-7-PLANK-OPEN-WAGON-/131287052995?hash=item1e915172c3:g:xjEAAOSwd4tUCCH4

And would you pay £24.50 plus postage for one ?

Tony

Now I always thought that horses (and mules therefore) would be carried in a closed vehicle, to avoid escapes! ;)

Looking further down the listing...all is explained!

Edited by Sarahagain

• RMweb Premium

Now I always thought that horses (and mules therefore) would be carried in a closed vehicle, to avoid escapes! ;)

But no sign of the extension sides in any of the pics, without them its just a normal wagon.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

But no sign of the extension sides in any of the pics, without them its just a normal wagon.

Regards

3rd picture of the set near the bottom of the listing.

In WW1 it would have had large GW lettering, so I hope there are suitable transfers in the extension pack. Still not sure about the yellow lettering though. Horse boxes were brown with yellow lettering, but I don't imagine these would have been painted as horse boxes. The underframe should be grey too, to match the body.

In WW1 it would have had large GW lettering, so I hope there are suitable transfers in the extension pack. Still not sure about the yellow lettering though. Horse boxes were brown with yellow lettering, but I don't imagine these would have been painted as horse boxes. The underframe should be grey too, to match the body.

I would tend to agree....the yellow lettering was used on the "Brown" vehicles, fitted vans and Horseboxes, etc. that could work in passenger trains....

• RMweb Gold

I know this listing has finished, but given it has not sold and listed by our great 'friend' from the Lake District I'm sure we will see it again and again and again, etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-RAILWAYS-CLOCKWORK-MODEL-No-T-774-0-4-0T-CONTINENTAL-LOCO-POSTMAN-PAT-/400962800230?hash=item5d5b3eca66:g:lgoAAOSwq7JUJJyP

These are relatively rare, but extremely rare at this price.

Cheers,

Aidan

The problem is that the conversions were carried out on 7 plank open wagons, not end door mineral wagons. It would have been difficult to load large equine creatures with two through planks above the side door. The conversions were for use in France IIRC and painted WD khaki.

EDIT

I see that I was beaten to it. The yellow lettering would have been correct for a horse box, but, as already stated, should be 25" in the WW I period and this is the period (1912-22) when the body colour should be crimson. (Khaki and other colours were used during the war.)

There is a Coopercraft kit for the correct wagon.

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Gold

The GWR horse/mule wagons were converted from 7 plank open merchandise wagons (diag O2) with full height door openings. I wonder how the livestock would get into a mineral wagon with two full length top planks.

Carefully.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The problem is that the conversions were carried out on 7 plank open wagons, not end door mineral wagons. It would have been difficult to load large equine creatures with two through planks above the side door. The conversions were for use in France IIRC and painted WD khaki.

EDIT

I see that I was beaten to it. The yellow lettering would have been correct for a horse box, but, as already stated, should be 25" in the WW I period and this is the period (1912-22) when the body colour should be crimson. (Khaki and other colours were used during the war.)

There is a Coopercraft kit for the correct wagon.

However you look at it, Rails have properly described the wagon as it is. The problems caused by lettering the the wrong type of wagon are presumably caused by Dapol.

$_14.JPG$_14.JPG

Still working for me...

Bachmann PLANK COAL WAGON - ESSO BRANDED

Bachmann COAL WAGON ESSO BRAND ALL VERY NICE CONDITION
UNBOXED GREAT COUPLINGS

I wonder how they kept the oil from sloshing over the sides.

• Like 1

I wonder how they kept the oil from sloshing over the sides.

Indeed. It's also probably useful that the doors are moulded in place or it might leak a bit too :D.

To be fair, I suppose it wouldn't be too far fetched to model a might-have-been traffic flow based on the assumption that oil shale processing actually got off the ground in the UK, rather than failing, leaving nothing but forlorn brick and iron retorts like that at Kilve. The shale would need to be transported in something if it wasn't to be processed on-site, and the ubiquitous 16 tonner would be the obvious choice post WW2.

• Like 1

Vehicle collectors seem to have bottomless pockets, but these seem to be rather too obscure (and cr@ppy) to merit these prices.

I suppose that there is the argument that, because of their cr@ppy nature, virtually none will have survived, resulting in some rarity value to those who like cr@p.

I suppose that there is the argument that, because of their cr@ppy nature, virtually none will have survived, resulting in some rarity value to those who like cr@p.

It is often the unpopular items that didn't sell and thus are rare and collectable. For example Dublo Co-Bos are sought after (especially 3 rail ones) unlike the prototype.

Let's not get into the prices empty boxes fetch....

Edited by Il Grifone

Vehicle collectors seem to have bottomless pockets, but these seem to be rather too obscure (and cr@ppy) to merit these prices.

They are unsold BiN or high start auction prices.

In no way does it mean they are 'worth' anything like that.  The only way to see how much an item is worth is to start it in an auction at 1p and see where they get to - I suspect the red thing would reach the dizzy heights of 99p!

Tony

Indeed. It's also probably useful that the doors are moulded in place or it might leak a bit too :D.

To be fair, I suppose it wouldn't be too far fetched to model a might-have-been traffic flow based on the assumption that oil shale processing actually got off the ground in the UK, rather than failing, leaving nothing but forlorn brick and iron retorts like that at Kilve. The shale would need to be transported in something if it wasn't to be processed on-site, and the ubiquitous 16 tonner would be the obvious choice post WW2.

There was healthy and profitable extensive shale oil mining in Mid Lothian for about 80 years. Lightmoor have done a very interesting book uopn it.  The internal railways were extensive feeding to the processing plants and disposing of the waste to huge 'Bings' However only the finished product was despatched on the public railways by tank, not the shale.

Tony