EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

I'll leave you to work out what this one is supposed to be, because the photograph doesn't give any clues at all....

:jester:

It does say in the listing:

Correct photos to follow.

But why oh why post that photo to start with. Unless it's an attempt to grab your attention? (which it quite clearly has!)

Keith

Someone's going to be mightily disappointed when the postie calls..... Bachmann ???? doesn't describe them at all, it's a Hachette job.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-ASSORTED-Bachmann-BR-MAROON-MK1-COACHES-UNBOXED-/371657538033?_trk

Dave Franks.

Why?

The sale clearly indicated that they may not be Bachmann and £28 for 5 coaches (even the Hachette ones) is still pretty reasonable. Could be a good cheap investment for someone doing a project, or some cheap coaches for a kids trainset. Even with postage it works out at just over £6 per coach.

Lets keep this thread to real eBay madness, not "ha ha look what they bought".

Why?

The sale clearly indicated that they may not be Bachmann and £28 for 5 coaches (even the Hachette ones) is still pretty reasonable. Could be a good cheap investment for someone doing a project, or some cheap coaches for a kids trainset. Even with postage it works out at just over £6 per coach.

Lets keep this thread to real eBay madness, not "ha ha look what they bought".

Sorry but I don't agree, this is a trader and a trader should know what they are selling. Buyers may not know what Hachette coaches are and I feel for the buyer not the trader or am I being too cynical.

Dave Franks

• Like 1

Good morning all

I agree that a trader should know what they're selling.

There is one dealer who advertises the majority of his locos having Romford Bulldog motors. These have not been produced for approx forty years, and are likely to require new brushes etc. However they sound a better name than Hornby.

The same vendor advertises locos being painted by Larry Goddard, but there is no signature. 

IMHO this is misleading advertising, but Ebay do nothing about it.

I bought a loco from another dealer advertised as "professionally built and painted", but the vendor didn't know which professional built it, and it was obviously painted with a professional shovel. The professional also erred in the assembly of the valve gear. 

I was not unhappy with the purchase as I intended rebuilding and repainting it. However, if a modeller bought it expecting a superior finished and running loco and did not have the skills to rebuild it, they would have been disappointed.

Earlswood nob

I have seen some so called locos built by persons who do it for a living or to make a few quid on the side and call themselves professionals

All I can say is that if it was me they had make the model for, they would be taken to the small claims court.

Saying that there are a lot of good, sorry, very good, professional, loco and model builders out there.

I do not intend to decry them, but I hate people pretending to be something that they are not.

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 1

The only piece of full size rolling stock you can buy which if modelled in 00 gauge would at least be the correct gauge icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GLASGOW-CORPORATION-SUBWAY-TRAILER-CAR-T7-/371661389176?hash=item5688bebd78:g:Q1YAAOSwmtJXZ-UC

Jim

Listed under Classic Cars! :scratchhead:

Well it is a subway car! ;)

Edited by Sarahagain

What a waste of a Hornby Dublo Crane! :O

The Tri-ang bogie bolster is also sacrificed...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/weathered-wagons-OO-gauge-scrapyard-mobile-crane-heavily-rusted-/301986112600?hash=item464fc66458:g:D-MAAOSwc1FXYTK8

The same seller has a "fire damaged" TPO, the short Tri-ang based one....even the tension lock couplings are rusty! ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/abandoned-weathered-fire-damaged-Royal-Mail-coach-OO-gauge-heavily-rusted-/291792980624?hash=item43f0378a90:g:lWIAAOSwMNxXYTE2

The collectors must love this....making all the old stuff more rare! ;)

Another trader who can't get it right. Apart from the J94 description, Airfix GMR 'Great Model Railways' was the RTR range and nothing to do with the kit range.

Dave.

If I were to be very pedantic.... :no:

The Airfix Railway Kits were listed and illustrated in the Airfix GMR catalogues....usually at the back! ;)

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 1

I agree that a trader should know what they're selling.

An established trader in model railways, perhaps. But then can anyone be expected to know everything about everything ever produced, especially when they are probably just selling off job lots and house clearances? There is a big difference between poorly describing something, mistakenly describing something and deliberately attempting to mislead the seller.

The same vendor advertises locos being painted by Larry Goddard, but there is no signature.

IMHO this is misleading advertising,

perfect example

but Ebay do nothing about it.

They don't have the resources or the time to intervene (or more likely, simply are unaware of such specifics and a.n.other 3rd party's word is worthless in such disputes) it is down to caveat emptor again.

I bought a loco from another dealer advertised as "professionally built and painted", but the vendor didn't know which professional built it, and it was obviously painted with a professional shovel. The professional also erred in the assembly of the valve gear

And just why should the vendor know the name of the "professional" builder? The seller (presumably the same trader) probably did not commission the build. Not every professional signs or stick a brass plate on the outside of the build or engraves their name somewhere. I don't. Not every professional builder paints their builds. I don't. The build usually goes back to the commissioner for them to paint or to have painted. I rarely see the end result and care little of the result once job done. I know of several others with a similar view and you will find that builders and painters are frequently different.

I have seen some so called locos built by persons who do it for a living or to make a few quid on the side and call themselves professionals

All I can say is that if it was me they had make the model for, they would be taken to the small claims court.

but I hate people pretending to be something that they are not.

We have had this mud slinging before.

The simple fact is that someone who receives payment for work done on commission is a professional and is entitled to call themselves that.

Whether you like the end result of that professional build or not only matters if you are the commissioning client and the end result fails to meet the agreed specification with the builder / painter. As you are such an expert you are unlikely to require the services of a professional builder and your specification could well exceed the capabilities of many.

It sometimes surprises me just how basic most build requests are. I build kits, simple as that, no frills and nothing added unless it is supplied in the box. A loco, if built motorised (and it might shock you haw many are requested build for showcase with no motor or gearbox) then they leave the WB as a running model.

So the valve gear may be wrong (if it was wrong in the kit) but working. However, I guess that it did not come with a history saying if the model was damaged by the owner (or trader).

Presumably the photos of the item (including those requested of the seller for the valve gear) indicated the in-correctness or damage? So you were fully aware of the purchase before bidding? Presumably if it had been of superior build and condition it would have attracted higher bids and you wouldn't have won such a bargain.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

An established trader in model railways, perhaps. But then can anyone be expected to know everything about everything ever produced, especially when they are probably just selling off job lots and house clearances? There is a big difference between poorly describing something, mistakenly describing something and deliberately attempting to mislead the seller.

perfect example

They don't have the resources or the time to intervene (or more likely, simply are unaware of such specifics and a.n.other 3rd party's word is worthless in such disputes) it is down to caveat emptor again.

And just why should the vendor know the name of the "professional" builder? The seller (presumably the same trader) probably did not commission the build. Not every professional signs or stick a brass plate on the outside of the build or engraves their name somewhere. I don't. Not every professional builder paints their builds. I don't. The build usually goes back to the commissioner for them to paint or to have painted. I rarely see the end result and care little of the result once job done. I know of several others with a similar view and you will find that builders and painters are frequently different.

We have had this mud slinging before.

The simple fact is that someone who receives payment for work done on commission is a professional and is entitled to call themselves that.

Whether you like the end result of that professional build or not only matters if you are the commissioning client and the end result fails to meet the agreed specification with the builder / painter. As you are such an expert you are unlikely to require the services of a professional builder and your specification could well exceed the capabilities of many.

It sometimes surprises me just how basic most build requests are. I build kits, simple as that, no frills and nothing added unless it is supplied in the box. A loco, if built motorised (and it might shock you haw many are requested build for showcase with no motor or gearbox) then they leave the WB as a running model.

So the valve gear may be wrong (if it was wrong in the kit) but working. However, I guess that it did not come with a history saying if the model was damaged by the owner (or trader).

Presumably the photos of the item (including those requested of the seller for the valve gear) indicated the in-correctness or damage? So you were fully aware of the purchase before bidding? Presumably if it had been of superior build and condition it would have attracted higher bids and you wouldn't have won such a bargain.

I recall a professional model builder, who wrote articles about his commissions (in 7mm scale or above) in Model Railways in the 1990s, who stated in his opinion 'that less than perfect models should NEVER appear' in the model press.

Edit to add.

From memory, many of his commissions were for models that took 6 months to research & then build. How many of us could afford to pay someone for that? Perhaps it would be nice to be able to compile such a fleet, but potential customers like that, tend to be somewhat thin on the ground.

Edited by kevinlms