EBay madness

Marcyg

I don't think that even our favourite Studebaker enthusiast would be this cheek optimistic!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Joblot-of-3-x-pair-of-ERG-3-Link-Spring-Couplings-Unopened-/321936758702?hash=item4af4ed17ae:g:fusAAOSwrklVF-UA

This junk isn't even worth the postal charge........

I'll put mine on eBay if they sell.......

(The usual price for a complete ERG wagon fitted with a pair of these is a couple of quid or less.)

EDIT for hitting the wrong key - finger trouble!

Edited by Il Grifone

Just a couple of points:

1. Deltics are made from steel.

2. Wooden bodied vehicles get brake dust on them, which is iron, and can make rust stains on wood.

However that still does not excuse some of the efforts...

1. I wondered about this myself - it's a special corrosion resistant alloy, which also allowed thinner panels to keep the weight down I understand.

http://www.delticsounds.com/bodywork.html

2. Rust stains from brake dust are certainly possible on the lower regions of the sides, though most of the weathering is/was general muck of a muddy brown colour.

Our 'experts'  plaster it all over the poor things.

Edited by Il Grifone

1. I wondered about this myself - it's a special corrosion resistant alloy, which also allowed thinner panels to keep the weight down I understand.

http://www.delticsounds.com/bodywork.html

2. Rust stains from brake dust are certainly possible on the lower regions of the sides, though most of the weathering is/was general muck of a muddy brown colour.

Our 'experts'  plaster it all over the poor things.

It is still steel though if you read the article - specifically COR-TEN steel. The way you have worded your response tends to imply otherwise for some reason.

Who said it was? Clicking on that link leads to a Voyager, no mention of class 390 (except in the link itself, wherever that comes from, presumably generated by Ebay).

But is it Hornby? Other ads for Voyagers call them Bachmann and when there are boxes they are blue ones.

Regards

When it was first listed it said "Virgin Trains Class 390" Guess the seller noticed and changed. I do usually search ebay by Newly Listed First (to avoid duplicates and I can stop looking down the page when I know I've seen items before!)

This sellers always annoy me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIRGIN-TRAINS-EAST-COAST-TRAIN-FRIDGE-MAGNET-/301834963716?hash=item4646c40b04:g:amIAAOSw9mFWGPfx

Rant mode: on.

Have you ever hard of the Designs, Patents and Copyrights Act 1988!?!

All they're doing is buying those "Make your own: Insert photo" kits off ebay and sticking a TOC logo in. Now I know we can say the same for respraying models but I see that as either doing it yourself non-commercially so is fine or you are paying for the service rather than the design. (bit of a grey area). But these people are clearly only doing it for profit. If there location wasn't "No Local Pick Up, United Kingdom" I may have a different opinion on them. (You know I've always fancied a Holiday to No Local Pick Up, UK. Anyone know the nearest train station?). You can see in their other items they do the same for other companies (including 1 other TOC (However when they first started there were other TOCs too)). Now I know there is a possibility they got permission to do this, But I really see this as unlikely.

They're feedback isn't great either at 98.4%

Seems as some buyers agree with me! "AVOID Counterfeit Poor Quality Horrendous Refused Returns I Paid For Return Also"

Product description problems:

"♡♥♡♥♡♥WELCOME TO SKIPTON CRAFTS♡♥♡♥♡♥ " If it was crafts I would really be expecting to buy the items to make it myself or a totally unique really detailed creation.

"Designing new ideas every day " You're not really designing, rather printing (probably from Google) and pasting into a pre-brought frame.

"All items are sold as seen in photo " = We take no responsibility for any mistakes made. I would expect this from a spears and repairs item or someone unsure on what the're selling.

"Trade enquiries are welcome , and we only supply 1 retail outlet per town " So you want to start a network of breaking the CD&P?

I just keep see these people coming up on ebay under allot of my frequent searches and it is really annoying as it isn't official TOC stuff. And this could confuse people not very familiar to buying TOC items on ebay.

Anyone could do this rather easily and to me, more than anything, is that they want to hide thier location allowing "No Local Pick up". To me that suggests they know they are breaking the law and should stop. If we look at an item not like this such as: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MENS-winter-wool-check-style-size-M-coat-with-detachable-hood-/301821677224?hash=item4645f94ea8:g:aMIAAOSwv-NWYyW-a item location is given (but no collection option) so it furtherly suggest they know what they are doing is wrong.

This sellers always annoy me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIRGIN-TRAINS-EAST-COAST-TRAIN-FRIDGE-MAGNET-/301834963716?hash=item4646c40b04:g:amIAAOSw9mFWGPfx

Rant mode: on.

Have you ever hard of the Designs, Patents and Copyrights Act 1988!?!

All they're doing is buying those "Make your own: Insert photo" kits off ebay and sticking a TOC logo in. Now I know we can say the same for respraying models but I see that as either doing it yourself non-commercially so is fine or you are paying for the service rather than the design. (bit of a grey area). But these people are clearly only doing it for profit. If there location wasn't "No Local Pick Up, United Kingdom" I may have a different opinion on them. (You know I've always fancied a Holiday to No Local Pick Up, UK. Anyone know the nearest train station?). You can see in their other items they do the same for other companies (including 1 other TOC (However when they first started there were other TOCs too)). Now I know there is a possibility they got permission to do this, But I really see this as unlikely.

They're feedback isn't great either at 98.4%

Seems as some buyers agree with me! "AVOID Counterfeit Poor Quality Horrendous Refused Returns I Paid For Return Also"

Product description problems:

"♡♥♡♥♡♥WELCOME TO SKIPTON CRAFTS♡♥♡♥♡♥ " If it was crafts I would really be expecting to buy the items to make it myself or a totally unique really detailed creation.

"Designing new ideas every day " You're not really designing, rather printing (probably from Google) and pasting into a pre-brought frame.

"All items are sold as seen in photo " = We take no responsibility for any mistakes made. I would expect this from a spears and repairs item or someone unsure on what the're selling.

"Trade enquiries are welcome , and we only supply 1 retail outlet per town " So you want to start a network of breaking the CD&P?

I just keep see these people coming up on ebay under allot of my frequent searches and it is really annoying as it isn't official TOC stuff. And this could confuse people not very familiar to buying TOC items on ebay.

Anyone could do this rather easily and to me, more than anything, is that they want to hide thier location allowing "No Local Pick up". To me that suggests they know they are breaking the law and should stop. If we look at an item not like this such as: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MENS-winter-wool-check-style-size-M-coat-with-detachable-hood-/301821677224?hash=item4645f94ea8:g:aMIAAOSwv-NWYyW-a item location is given (but no collection option) so it furtherly suggest they know what they are doing is wrong.

I could be wrong, but I'd "guess" neither Starbucks nor Giorgio Armani, in particular (never mind the long list of others), have given licenses/permission for their copyright material use. I know in the US here, Starbucks in particular are VERY hard on folks peddling this stuff without the correct/appropriate licenses, and most so called cottage industries can't afford the license fees they charge! Other LICENSED merchandisers are usually the ones to tip off the trademark owner as it cuts into their sales, which they are fully licensed for.

I'd suggest it's only a matter of SHORT time, before this seller hears from several of the companies in question :O

• Like 1

It is still steel though if you read the article - specifically COR-TEN steel. The way you have worded your response tends to imply otherwise for some reason.

Sorry, I forgot to put 'steel' in front of alloy. I thought the link gave all the details though.

I wonder if they'll notice they got the decimal point in the wrong place, as it would be a shame if they fail to sell it due to their error. It should be two places to the left.

I'd be rather concerned about the collapsible legs. Is that a design fault, or do they mean a rather more sales friendly "folding legs"?

I like the look of these new ones from Bachmann - it's brand new and unused I am but not sure if it comes in it's box?

I'm going to buy two of these but I am worried that the back to back spacing - it look a bit out for OO gauge - might be gauge 1

I know the wife will say 'what have you bought another one of these for - you've already got plenty of them'? Maybe if I keep it in my stock box she won't notice

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-2/191755923675?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107092241%26meid%3D29685c5f08b748ed8d8fa6bdea989ba9%26pid%3D100034%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D281816165417

• RMweb Gold

I like the look of these new ones from Bachmann - it's brand new and unused I am but not sure if it comes in it's box?

I'm going to buy two of these but I am worried that the back to back spacing - it look a bit out for OO gauge - might be gauge 1

I know the wife will say 'what have you bought another one of these for - you've already got plenty of them'? Maybe if I keep it in my stock box she won't notice

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-2/191755923675?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107092241%26meid%3D29685c5f08b748ed8d8fa6bdea989ba9%26pid%3D100034%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D281816165417

It's a ride on version.

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

OH&S problem. Just look at the 'safety' shoes!

Hmmm. Ten (at a quick count) Streamline points and a dozen yard of  track are all I can see of value there, which would be, what? 160-170 quid new (I'm out of touch and can't be bothered to check). The boards may or may not be any good. Can't tell from the pictures, but they're certainly nothing exciting, being 2x1 and chipboard by the looks of it. Ditto the wiring, although "wired for DCC" implies, to me, two wires and no isolating sections so that's not much of a bonus.

Nope, I think I'll build me own thanks.

I got one of these for Christmas, but in a different livery.  Can come in or out of the box.  :locomotive:

Edited by Titan
  • Like 3