EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

Did they make the real Forth Bridge out of lumpy wood and then paint it badly ?  :jester:

Perhaps the lumps are meant to represent the layers of paint applied over the years.

• RMweb Gold

I think the intention is to send it Special Delivery, and the eventual parcel might go over 1kg. If under that, it would be £8.55 / 8.65

It's only a light brass kit and is to sent by 48 hr Parcel Farce: 

£11.00
United Kingdom
Standard Delivery (Parcelforce 48)

Estimated within 2-3 working days

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMA-KIT-BUILT-REFINISHED-BR-GREAT-WESTERN-CLASS-50-LOCO-Sir-EDWARD-ELGAR-ne-/361391390449?hash=item54249afef1:g:OVcAAOSwFnFV~F5D

"One of the brass name plates has been pooly re attached by a previous owner leaving a nice glue mark on one side."

What is a "nice glue mark"?

:dontknow:  :unsure:  :scratchhead:

Cheers,

Mick

I've got one of those (less glue mark nice or otherwise). She has number plates on both sides and I didn't pay anything like 60 quid for her.....

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

It's only a light brass kit and is to sent by 48 hr Parcel Farce: 

£11.00

United Kingdom

Standard Delivery (Parcelforce 48)

Estimated within 2-3 working days

The kit itself is light, but the seller doesn't tell you about the massive box he's presumably going to stuff it into surrounded by all sorts of shredded filler...

Gripes.

I've a few of those and some plastic ones (thick & thin).

Keith

They're usually about a pound each from dealers in spares, but a pair can often be acquired with a wagon or coach attached for this figure, with the rivet thrown in (or rather two of them).

Can't seem to post an address for this, but our friend Gostude is dabbling in Gauge 1 and has this GAUGE 1 SCRATCH KIT BUILT SOUTHERN SR LBSC 0-6-0 CLASS E2 TANK LOCO 2104 at nearly £1,000.  Unfortunately, painting the number of an E2 onto an 0-6-0 tank doesn't make it an E2, and at nearly a grand, I'd want it at least to look the part - SIMPLY STUNNING  - Indeed!

• RMweb Gold

Can't seem to post an address for this, but our friend Gostude is dabbling in Gauge 1 and has this GAUGE 1 SCRATCH KIT BUILT SOUTHERN SR LBSC 0-6-0 CLASS E2 TANK LOCO 2104 at nearly £1,000.  Unfortunately, painting the number of an E2 onto an 0-6-0 tank doesn't make it an E2, and at nearly a grand, I'd want it at least to look the part - SIMPLY STUNNING  - Indeed!

Link Here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GAUGE-1-SCRATCH-KIT-BUILT-SOUTHERN-SR-LBSC-0-6-0-CLASS-E2-TANK-LOCO-2104-ei-/331128385286

Why is this wagon covered in splattered custard???!?!?!?!?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLANGEWAY-BR-DEPARTMENTAL-MERMAID-BALLAST-WAGON-DETAILED-BESPOKE-WEATHERED-BOX-/371474761803?hash=item567d9f084b:g:K88AAOSwI-BWMSsy

I once had the misfortune of buying a 'weathered' wagon from this guy and it was, without a doubt, the worst bit of weathering I had ever seen.

From this individual again...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAWRENCE-BSL-KIT-BUILT-RAKE-of-8-LMS-6-WHEEL-COACH-1st-3rd-STOVE-SLEEPER-DINING-/371462580905?hash=item567ce52aa9:g:JmEAAOSwAYtWG-Gm

I believe that Larry signed his work underneath....I would also want to see individual signed close-ups is I was to pay that sort of money.

"All appear to be Professionally of Aluminium /Brass and White Metal Construction and all are high quality builds in the style of Lawrence and Goddard."

I noticed this at the top of the page -

This seller is currently away until 01 Nov, 2015. If you make a purchase, there may be a delay in processing your order.

Obviously made enough to have a holiday...

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Premium

here's a great conversion. Love the paint job. Can't notice the varnish on the overhead wire notices on the front ends!!!! Were the Scottie dogs and names really mounted on 6 inch thick boards?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-OO-GAUGE-UNPOWERED-ETHEL-UNIT-No-97251-/221925451870?hash=item33abc9a85e:g:npcAAOSwT5tWMMnl

The real ETHEL's did not have orange overhead warning stripes in their original blue/grey livery either.

• RMweb Premium

I noticed this at the top of the page -

This seller is currently away until 01 Nov, 2015. If you make a purchase, there may be a delay in processing your order.

Obviously made enough to have a holiday...

Probably topping up his Studebaker fleet!

Keith

• Like 3

Why is this wagon covered in splattered custard???!?!?!?!?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLANGEWAY-BR-DEPARTMENTAL-MERMAID-BALLAST-WAGON-DETAILED-BESPOKE-WEATHERED-BOX-/371474761803?hash=item567d9f084b:g:K88AAOSwI-BWMSsy

I once had the misfortune of buying a 'weathered' wagon from this guy and it was, without a doubt, the worst bit of weathering I had ever seen.

and £30 too! :O  (I think not!)

How does all this "Professionally weathered" rubbish keep going? Aren't people capable of doing their own?

IMHO, even if one does it badly, it's your own work....

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

I bet this pleases you.... ;-)

Horstan

I was half looking at it and thought after our chat you may have been watching it. I was so busy when it stopped to look or bid, having said that at lunchtime I had written it off as the body had reached £35 with a few bidding and as a new one would cost £65 it was getting close to the crossover where I think buying a new one is better. The chassis had reached £19.95 a new one is £25. So the total price was not that appealing if I had to up the bids

I have hankered after one of these for the best part of 45 years, as a School boy I looked at the Wills kits but they were just too expensive. It took me several years to find one at a decent price on Ebay, I was very close to ordering one from Dave at SEF when I found mine. Having said all this the kit was untouched in mint condition and these are in the non-revised selection of loco kits coupled with most reaching nearly new prices.

With old Wills loco kits I consider several things, firstly is it one of the revised or non-revised kits, Dave Ellis will sell the new parts but I am less inclined to pay high prices for the revised kits unless of course they are the revised Southeastern Finecast kits, also are the wheels, motor and gears included

With built kits they normally have wheels motor and gears and this does increase the value of the kit, but a view must be taken on the quality of the parts/build etc

Coming back to this kit, why not buy a new one off Dave at a lower price?

• Like 3