EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

The poor thing should be gently put down with due reverence and discretely buried....

I wouldn't even bother with the due reverence.

The poor thing should be gently put down with due reverence and discretely buried....

Melted down is probably safest! What's it doing in the model trains section, I'm sure there is a separate section for abstract artworks...

I can't do links on app but someone has Hornby class 50 D436 victorious !!!! And in description it says Lima on loco .... No box .... So WTF makes you think it's Hornby.

This one? Ripe for the bin I think!

Edit: Link would be useful.

Edited by jivebunny

I can't do links on app but someone has Hornby class 50 D436 victorious !!!! And in description it says Lima on loco .... No box .... So WTF makes you think it's Hornby.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-CLASS-50-D436-VICTORIOUS-DIESEL-LOCOMOTIVE-/231631259076?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35ee4c85c4

ALTHOUGH UNBOXED, IT IS IN GOOD CONDITION. 

With missing buffers, so what makes it good condition?

• RMweb Gold

And if it says Lima Italy on the bottom why claim the country of manufacture is UK.

I'm guessing that it's someone who thinks 'it's a toy train so it must be Hornby'.

• RMweb Premium

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-CLASS-50-D436-VICTORIOUS-DIESEL-LOCOMOTIVE-/231631259076?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35ee4c85c4

ALTHOUGH UNBOXED, IT IS IN GOOD CONDITION. 

With missing buffers, so what makes it good condition?

Because it does in fact have one buffer, so you can source similar ones!

• RMweb Gold

Mostly motor stuff in their 'see other items'. I always check this list to see just what sort of traders they are. Most don't know their *rse from their elbow when it comes to trains.

Then again this ignorance can bring rewards. It did for me some years ago when I bought a grotty looking 'not 00' King dirt cheap from a junk shop dealer. It turned out to be a horrible Farish cast body atop a fully compensated and beautifully scratchbuilt P4 chassis with fully working valve spindles! Eccentrics had been fitted to one driving axle to operate them.

• Like 2

And if it says Lima Italy on the bottom why claim the country of manufacture is UK.

I'm guessing that it's someone who thinks 'it's a toy train so it must be Hornby'.

Well Lima is Hornby now. (It wasn't when the model was made of course.)

Mostly motor stuff in their 'see other items'. I always check this list to see just what sort of traders they are. Most don't know their *rse from their elbow when it comes to trains.

Then again this ignorance can bring rewards. It did for me some years ago when I bought a grotty looking 'not 00' King dirt cheap from a junk shop dealer. It turned out to be a horrible Farish cast body atop a fully compensated and beautifully scratchbuilt P4 chassis with fully working valve spindles! Eccentrics had been fitted to one driving axle to operate them.

Envious! I would wonder why anyone would bother to put a chassis to this standard under a Farish King. Even as a rather uncritical boy I could see the thing was dreadful....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Envious! I would wonder why anyone would bother to put a chassis to this standard under a Farish King. Even as a rather uncritical boy I could see the thing was dreadful....

Probably the builder didn't. Some one else put the two together later?

• RMweb Gold

Sheer good fortune!

I took a punt as I thought that it just might be P4. Flanges looked like they were fine. As you say the Farish thing is a total abomination, but like buses, if you wait a bit another will surely come along!

This came in the form of a quite nicely built Jamieson nickel-silver body. I'll be looking at the motion and cylinders with Comet replacements in mind. I'm guessing that it was from the early P4 era (Studiolith wheels). All driving axles are compensated, including the motor, which I'd never seen before. Even the tender is fully sprung. It could be quite something when it's finished (not anytime soon!)

I was subsequently lucky again with a nicely built Jamieson GW County as this had a cra**y 00 chassis. Full Comet undercarriage required this time.

This was the Ebay picture. The upside down track gave it away a bit!

post-6728-0-68346200-1437817048.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 2

I'd be itching to do something to correct that firebox. The rest of it looks alright, though. Thing about Jamieson was that they made sure the basic parts were right - it was then up to the builder how far he wanted to take it, including rivet detail.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You're right the rest of it actually isn't too bad really.

I was really lucky with the Jamieson body. It was very well soldered together. Need all the 'bits' though!

Believe it or not I sold that Farish body later for around a tenner! 

• Like 2

Thanks for that Ivan. He's at Railwells this year so hopefully I can get the bits needed then.

Best to call him first and agree on a price for the pack, as he doesn't seem to write the prices of these things down. I found this slightly worrying when I asked him for the prices of Malcolm Mitchell chassis kits.

Not Ebay....

But the question is...Graham Fraish OO Gauge Diesel Loco? Class 31?

http://www.ehattons.com/126749/Graham_Farish_8067Farish_U_Class_31_31421_Wigan_Pier_in_Regional_Railways_blue_Pre_owned_poor_box/StockDetail.aspx

I found this while looking up the Farish OO King Class, etc....;)

• RMweb Gold

I SHALL BE SELLING WITH NO RESERVE.

So why start the auction at £6.99?

Mike.

Not Ebay....

But the question is...Graham Fraish OO Gauge Diesel Loco? Class 31?

http://www.ehattons.com/126749/Graham_Farish_8067Farish_U_Class_31_31421_Wigan_Pier_in_Regional_Railways_blue_Pre_owned_poor_box/StockDetail.aspx

I found this while looking up the Farish OO King Class, etc.... ;)

The coupling is obviously N gauge! Oops.........

Farish King? - Collectable? - yes! Subject to mazak pest? -yes! (very), Good model? - no! Likely to work - no chance at all! (In the unlikely event of actually getting the mechanism to work, it is almost unstoppable. I can remember being impressed at a very young age by seeing one pulling two Farish Pullmans (Gamages IIRC). My Dublo 'Atholl' could only just manage the one I had ('Pauline' - she ended up in the bin through warping). Since Farish locomotives were hard to obtain and expensive, two rail and required two foot radius curves, I never had one, until much later.

I now have four - two Formo 'Q's a 94xx and most of a 81xx hybrid (original body and later 60s chassis (or at least most of it). These all have 'proper' motors. The 94xx runs particularly well, but her looks are not as good, but considerably better than Lima's effort...... (To be fair she's a far better model of a 94xx, than the Formo 0-6-0 is of a 'Q'. So is the 81xx come to that. In the 60s, I went to a lot of trouble (and expense) to motorise a Kitmaster 61xx using a Tri-ang chassis. Why I didn't just buy the Farish model I can't imagine! It would have worked out cheaper (and lasted longer!).

Edited by Il Grifone