EBay madness

Marcyg

Well they can't say they weren't informed. Someone is going to be very disappointed!

I don't know; perhaps that has the parts someone needs to finish of a part-completed, or completed but damaged model they've already built? If you wanted to repair or complete something you've already put a lot of work into, I don't see why the price is inappropriate.

• RMweb Premium

I don't know; perhaps that has the parts someone needs to finish of a part-completed, or completed but damaged model they've already built? If you wanted to repair or complete something you've already put a lot of work into, I don't see why the price is inappropriate.

Who'd like to be a fly on the wall at eBay's complaint section?

• Like 1

I did wonder why at the time. Dublo and Trix power units were similarly 'under the counter'. The excuse was that they needed to be 'to order' for various mains voltages around the country, despite 240V 50 Hz* being almost universal by the fifties AFAIK.

* Still cycles/second at the time - a more useful and self explanatory unit IMHO.

Back at the time, thought it had to do with electrical safety regulations.

One complete system that combined 240 V AC input and bare metal track output would have needed a huge amount of regulatory design protections, testing and approvals.

But make the 240 V to 12 V unit a separate 3rd party item and the responsibility goes away. Or at least passes to the consumer.

You can't get the chassis and valve gear separately, that's for sure, unless you scratchbuild it.....

Moving on, what do you make of this!?

Edited by Horsetan

It looks like the tender from one of their Midland locomotive kits. (Known for their inability to pull the skin off a rice pudding - not unlike their prototypes). One IIRC was a 2-4-0, the other I can't remember (0-6-0?).) The loco looks like a Will's kit, with motion from bullhead rail, as was once the custom. The cylinders slope the wrong way! (Of course, proper railways keep them horizontal, if possible.....)

Further inspection suggests that the loco body is in fact of Hornby origins (There's a part number underneath which I can't make out - eyes aren't what they used to be!). I had forgotten that it existed...........

Back at the time, thought it had to do with electrical safety regulations.

One complete system that combined 240 V AC input and bare metal track output would have needed a huge amount of regulatory design protections, testing and approvals.

But make the 240 V to 12 V unit a separate 3rd party item and the responsibility goes away. Or at least passes to the consumer.

The transformers were still manufactured by Tri-ang, Meccano Ltd or Trix (AFAIK - certainly in the case of Meccano), so responsibility still lay with the manufacturers. For safety, all that is necessary is isolation of the primary and secondary windings and the provision of an earth connection. (The fact that 2 pin mains sockets were far from rare at the time rendered the latter somewhat superfluous - my boyhood layout was fed from a 2 pin 5A outlet....) Later Dublo units were double insulated and did not require an earth. Of course, if you used a third party transformer (much cheaper on the surplus market!), you were on your own.

The luckily short lived system in the twenties, which involved a lamp bulb to drop the mains voltage, was a different matter. The track could be live to full mains voltage (and current!), if the plug was in the wrong way round. :scared:

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

Just because the Hachette Mk1 can be dis-assembled doesn't make it kitbuilt  :nono:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-KIT-BUILT-CORRIDOOR-COACH-MAROON-MINT-/321795611899?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aec835cfb

Not ebay, but there were some Hachette Mk1's on sale from a trader at the recent Perth MRS Ex for £12.50.................

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. Possibly partaking of some slight madness soon as there's an item out there, finishing in the next couple of days that really is on my wanted list and they don't come up very often.

• RMweb Gold

Not ebay, but there were some Hachette Mk1's on sale from a trader at the recent Perth MRS Ex for £12.50.................

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. Possibly partaking of some slight madness soon as there's an item out there, finishing in the next couple of days that really is on my wanted list and they don't come up very often.

Not madness Mick, market forces, if it's what you want and "rare" then you do what you have to do.

Mike.

Just because the Hachette Mk1 can be dis-assembled doesn't make it kitbuilt  :nono:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-KIT-BUILT-CORRIDOOR-COACH-MAROON-MINT-/321795611899?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aec835cfb

or worth £12.99 + £4 p&p!

It was in programme for the second coach to be issued in parts over several weeks - perhaps the series didn't make it that far????

Edited by Il Grifone

......p.s. Possibly partaking of some slight madness soon as there's an item out there, finishing in the next couple of days that really is on my wanted list and they don't come up very often.

Not painted yellow, by any chance?  :jester:

Some time ago, I acquired an F7A in Rail Blue to match! Obviously she's scheduled for a repaint into something more appropriate like SP 'Black Widow' Livery!

I see that 31 was fitted with the BR experimental tension lock coupler.

It didn't catch on however!

Keith

Unfortunately it did!

• Like 2