EBay madness

Marcyg

But also, as it's on less than £16 all in now, the buyers may not actually be that interested in it, the bidding could stall & a buyer could get it for less than half of what it's 'worth'. There are occasionally stilll bargains on e-bay....

It is a good idea to start an item at the lowest price you want to sell it at...safer than a low "come and get it" start price when it could go "cheap" (Especially if the listing has something in the title that effectively "hides" the listing, say a spelling mistake!)...and a clear "Reserve" price in actual fact!

It is a good idea to start an item at the lowest price you want to sell it at...

Yep, that's exactly what I do- & if it doesn't sell at 'my' price or above, then so be it. I've never really understood the use of an unknown 'reserve price' - & won't bid on auctions with one! ( I do realise it's a way to draw gullible bidders in but won't play that game!)

Edited by keefr2

I think the minimum sum for a "reserve" is £50 anyway.

Didn't realise that, I always thought it had to be a certain percentage above the start bid, like a 'buy it now' price...but would never use one, so never bothered to find out!

• Like 2

Sometimes I've notived that an item starts at a very high price then when there are no bidders, it gets relisted at a lower price, and again and again until it attracts bids.

Other start at a high price and relist at the same start when there are no bidders, and again and again.

There are dealers who list items at a high BIN price and they remain listed for over a year.

Surely a businessman looks for high regular turnover, not the occasional windfall.

Thane of fife

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure you could buy a complete magazine from that era off eBay for less and junk the rest - if that way inclined!

• RMweb Gold

One from the 'Paint it yellow and hope no-one queries the accuracy' school of modelling

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Kit-Built-Scratch-Built-Tinsley-TMD-Breakdown-Train-Set-/151660076043?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item234fa51c0b

Edit: On the ER thread Mr Bryford says he's had a bad day.  This won't make it any better.......

Edited by Metr0Land
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One from the 'Paint it yellow and hope no-one queries the accuracy' school of modelling

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Kit-Built-Scratch-Built-Tinsley-TMD-Breakdown-Train-Set-/151660076043?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item234fa51c0b

Edit: On the ER thread Mr Bryford says he's had a bad day.  This won't make it any better.......

Not a bad day, just a long day. I can't decide if the above makes it longer or shorter...................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Apparently, this could be a Malcolm Mitchell "King".....albeit built by someone who has trouble with proportions....

OR CALL FOR BEST DEAL POSS P/X 07886 179xxx (phone edited for privacy purposes, but it is on the original ebay listing)

Isn't that against ebay rules?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Apparently, this could be a Malcolm Mitchell "King".....albeit built by someone who has trouble with proportions....

Layout, use of words and odd uses of upper and lower case also make me less than enthusiastic.

She, nice runner but only used on a rolling road.

Oh dear.... 'ees 'aving a larf.

Bernard

Ebay has emailed me today with this. No idea what it is made of or why it's worth £50. Don't imagine Hornby will be best pleased.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/161681545986?nav=SEARCH

Why bother when GBL has been there already? The banana shaped 'Clovelly' is particularly curious. :O

The seller also has three 'Atlas Editions' locomotives at a rather optimistic price. They usually fail to sell at a couple of quid each.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I asked him and he said £12 fully insured.

But that's his responsibility, not yours.  If he ships it using the original postage, and it's lost in the post, then he has to reimburse you in full.  Those are the Ebay rules.

• RMweb Premium

No. Looking at photos from the departmentals website - it looks like a decent job.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

I enter the hall of shame...

It's my listing, but not my conversion. I can't comment on the accuracy, but hey, at a starting price of 99p it can't be bad.

Maybe I should check accuracy before using the word "pro"...

I knew I'd end up in this thread someday !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

OR CALL FOR BEST DEAL POSS P/X 07886 179xxx (phone edited for privacy purposes, but it is on the original ebay listing)

Isn't that against ebay rules?

Cheers,

Mick

But that's his responsibility, not yours.  If he ships it using the original postage, and it's lost in the post, then he has to reimburse you in full.  Those are the Ebay rules.

There are eBay rules??

eBay don't seem to work to them so why should anybody else?

Mike.

Can you provide a link to those rules. as I've not read them before? 

Edit: It's OK I found them. Don't sell much on there these days, think it'll be even less now. 

Edited by keefr2

I enter the hall of shame...

It's my listing, but not my conversion. I can't comment on the accuracy, but hey, at a starting price of 99p it can't be bad.

Maybe I should check accuracy before using the word "pro"...

I knew I'd end up in this thread someday !

Respect for anyone who lists most items at a starting price of 99p, and leaves the price to 'market forces' as it were.