EBay madness

Marcyg

Love the description which carefully avoids guessing the scale/gauge.  Still they are supposed to be collectors items not working models :jester:

I was interested to see the trailing bogie wheels, as I have got some of these...as the driving wheels are Romford going by the fixings, are these bogie wheels also Romfords?

My wheels have black plastic centres to fit, making the spokes a bit more 3-dimensional as well....

They are the standard 50/60/70s Jackson/Nucro type in the 10 spoke 12mm version and suffer from a lack of 'body' in the spokes and tyres unlike the Romford drivers which have overthick tyres and an abundance of spokes (the original Dublo wheels of this model are much better, apart from their thick flanges)

£29.99 seems to be his standard price for anything model railway related.. Why waste time with tarting up GBL locos when you could have this Airfix City of Truro for £29.99?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Locomotive-Railway-Train-Model-Airfix-Vintage-Collectible-1961-/390864837489?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5b015c1b71

That's about the least well assembled one I've ever seen! Something like this is usually to be found in the 50p (or less) bin on the floor at toy fairs, along with the other cr@p highly prized rare collectibles he has for sale..

There is this one, which actually is rare, but whether it's worth £70 I would doubt..... The box is probably incorrect, as the coach is from later than the Tri-ang era and AFAIK only came in the 'Railway Children' set. (1969 IIRC)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triang-Railways-Model-Train-Vintage-Made-in-England-1960-circa-collectible-/360836797033?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item54038c9269#viTabs_0

"The box and model is warn with obvious ware due to age, with tares and markings and some paint on the model has chipped away."   ??????????

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

This idiot dealer has at last been honest.

In this advert he actually mentions 'we are not experts'.

Oh how very true - but nice to see a sensible comment in one of his adverts !!.

Regards

That's about the least well assembled one I've ever seen! Something like this is usually to be found in the 50p (or less) bin on the floor at toy fairs, along with the other cr@p highly prized rare collectibles he has for sale..

There is this one, which actually is rare, but whether it's worth £70 I would doubt..... The box is probably incorrect, as the coach is from later than the Tri-ang era and AFAIK only came in the 'Railway Children' set. (1969 IIRC)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triang-Railways-Model-Train-Vintage-Made-in-England-1960-circa-collectible-/360836797033?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item54038c9269#viTabs_0

"The box and model is warn with obvious ware due to age, with tares and markings and some paint on the model has chipped away."   ??????????

Hi,

The clerestory coach is R379 of which 6000 were made in 1966 according to factory records.

As Grifone II corectly says it was produced exclusevly for 'The Railway Children' set along with the old 'Davy Crocket' car in a teak livery.

There does not appear to be any record of the coaches having been sold separatley so as Grifone II says the box is very likely to be non original.

Another point regarding the box is that at the time most old 'Triang' boxes left the factory with 'Triang Hornby' self adhesive labels stuck over the 'Triang' as an interim measure until new 'Triang Hornby' branded boxes arrived from the printers - this I feel makes the box even more likely to be non original for the coach although without seeing the box in the flesh and what is stamped on the end flap its difficult to know for sure, although the doubt about separate sales does seem to confirm the attempt by this seller to make the item look what its not.

Regards

• Like 1

Hi,

The clerestory coach is R379 of which 6000 were made in 1966 according to factory records.

As Grifone II corectly says it was produced exclusevly for 'The Railway Children' set along with the old 'Davy Crocket' car in a teak livery.

There does not appear to be any record of the coaches having been sold separatley so as Grifone II says the box is very likely to be non original.

Another point regarding the box is that at the time most old 'Triang' boxes left the factory with 'Triang Hornby' self adhesive labels stuck over the 'Triang' as an interim measure until new 'Triang Hornby' branded boxes arrived from the printers - this I feel makes the box even more likely to be non original for the coach although without seeing the box in the flesh and what is stamped on the end flap its difficult to know for sure, although the doubt about separate sales does seem to confirm the attempt by this seller to make the item look what its not.

Regards

Hi,

Just looked again at his advert and this time something hit me that didnt before.

In his description he says 'Gem Model Railways Isle of Man made in North Wales 1930' !!!.

What exactly has that got to do with a Triang Hornby coach?.

Not only is this totally irrelevent but GEM Model Railways didnt start manufacture until much later.

His spelling of 'wear' ,'worn' and 'tears' is good too.

And again the item 'will benefit from a clean' - where have all these things been kept I wonder.

The mind boggles.

Regards

Edited by TheWeatheringMan

Hi,

Can anyone help me please - how do you insert a link into a post.

I've found a couple of other things on the sellers listing that I think might give several of you a laugh but I have never learnt how to add a link into a post.

Many Thanks,

Regards

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I've found a couple of other things on the sellers listing that I think might give several of you a laugh but I have never learnt how to add a link into a post.

Many Thanks,

Regards

I have the same problem with e-bay, I just quote the item number.

Hi,

Many Thanks,

Regards

Open the item in a separate Tab. Copy the address and then paste into the body of your RM Web post.

Hi,

Many Thanks,

Regards

Click on the url to highlight it. then CRTL+C.

Next CTRL+V to insert the link where required.

(My daughter had to teach me.........)

• Like 2

Hi,

Regards

Thanks for the info (I only have volume 1 of the Tri-ang 'bible'). I would have thought later than 1966 though, as the film (starring the delicious J. Agutter) came out in 1970.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066279/  (Somewhere I have a short length of Standard 8 film of the station not long after the film was shot.)

Seeing their track record of exhaustive knowledge of railwayana, I would be inclined to give the seller the benefit of the doubt and put it down to ignorance, rather than any deliberate attempt to mislead. It was probably with the box in the skip (or wherever) this junk was found. Although I have a teak 'Crockett' coach, I'm not going to part with £70 to acquire this one to go with it.

Hi,

Regards

Ramseys (Pat Hammond) has 1970-1972 as the dates for R.379. Pat's Rovex Books state release as late 1971. The Ramseys (high) price is £45.00. (If anyone wants one for £40.00, please let me know! ;) )

(The teak USA coach is R.378, also 6,000 made. Ramsey's 1972 (Pat's Books late 1971) Ramsey's price £23.00.)

(The Loco is a special GNSR "brown" liveried smoking "Jinty".....)

The sets came out in both Tri-ang Hornby and Hornby Railways boxes. (R.615 and R.795)

* As far as I know, Tri-ang Hornby Labels were not used to update Tri-ang Railways boxes in the UK (They were used in Australia and possibly New Zealand...).

Such labels WERE used in the UK to update some Hornby Dublo boxes though....

The listed box is most cerainly not original to that model....possibly why the lister didn't put up a photo of the label end?

It is also possible that the box is from one of the GWR coaches?

• RMweb Gold

The (new) seller seems to be some sort of storage bin buyer/dealer judging by the other stuff on offer.

Ivan is not far wrong on value. If it comes with stock (haven't bothered to read it properly!) they would be better off selling that separately.

Complete layouts are very hard to sell and usually of relatively low market value. I've tried with what I thought was a good 'scale' model, but it ended up being pulled apart for the useful stuff and the rest went to the dump........and no....it wasn't Matford..that went to landfill for other reasons.!)

Edited by Re6/6

• RMweb Premium

The (new) seller seems to be some sort of storage bin buyer/dealer judging by the other stuff on offer.

Ivan is not far wrong on value. If it comes with stock (haven't bothered to read it properly!) they would be better off selling that separately.

Complete layouts are very hard to sell and usually of relatively low market value. I've tried with what I thought was a good 'scale' model, but it ended up being pulled apart for the useful stuff and the rest went to the dump........and no....it wasn't Matford..that went to landfill for other reasons.!)

i suspect the seller has been asked to get rid of the pre-production sample, probably close to cost price bearing in mind the skilled craftsman expecting £500 a day or thereabouts. This is the source http://time-vault.co.uk/pages/oe/orientexpressbuy.aspx  Remarkably they claim to have 4 reserved!  This is obviously for the executive toy market, no expense spared!

Keith