EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

I had to collect a small packet from the local Royal Mail office the other day.

There was a small rip in the outer packing and they had repacked it in a clear plastic bag to prevent any increase in the tear and to prevent any items escaping.

Top marks to them for service.

Bernard

I received a package once sent via Royal Mail, it arrived damaged but in a clear plastic bag with a covering note apologising for the damage and asking me to check that nothing was missing, fortunately nothing was missing.

• Like 1

If, as stated, it's 2-rail, why are there what appear to be collection studs under the tender?

Because it's actually 3 rail? (Not that it matters, I doubt it will ever run again - The Diesel might but I doubt it.)

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

It was a bit tongue in cheek.

Spelling these days is not what it was!

Was it ever better, one may ask?

You will find similar misspellings on RMWeb as well, so nobody's perfect. I'm definitely not.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

She was sent an e-mail by JL giving the actual delivery day but didn't read the e-mail so wasn't in when the carrier brought it.

The carrier came back the next day - she still wasn't in, so the carrier asked a neighbour to take it in.

A courier recently got quite angry with me, when I refused to take in and sign for a damaged parcel. 

Thane of fife

You were quite right! - I would have been tempted to report them to their superiors, though I doubt it would be acted upon. It's an iteresting legal point as it has not been delivered to destination.

• Like 1

It was a bit tongue in cheek.

Spelling these days is not what it was!

Was it ever better, one may ask?

You will find similar misspellings on RMWeb as well, so nobody's perfect. I'm definitely not.

Keith

But it is easier to get it right now, even if most English spell checkers use some foreign language from the other side of the Atlantic. 

• RMweb Premium

Why?

46441 as preserved in this livery was "Dr Beet's Little Red Engine". One of the forerunners of "it's mine so I'll paint it whatever colour I like". It does like quite pretty and I always liked the way this livery sits on the Ivatt and recreated one using a Crownline conversion kit many years ago.

Cheers,

Mick

That's the sort of thing you find in boxes under stalls at toyfairs - usually priced 50p - £1.

• RMweb Gold

The title does not match the item. The description goes even further away from matching the item!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BR-Terrier-0-6-0-Early-Emblem-/231385510864?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item35dfa6b3d0

He's also got this J83 which seems to have shrunk in the wash

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BR-ClassJ83-Locomotive-/231385514994?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item35dfa6c3f2

• RMweb Premium

Thats because they are not Merit. They are from the very rare Dinky Toys set 054 'Railway Station Personel'. Complete sets are about £75 in mint boxed condition. But £15 is still IMHO rather a lot to pay.

EDIT There is one on e-bay at the moment with a damaged case with a BIN price of just over £35, # 390849247887

Edited by PhilJ W

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold

That's about the price for a good one, complete with motion* and the correct tender (I don't know what make it is but it's not Hornby.) The 2003 copy of 'Ramsay's'  states (for mint condition) unboxed £20 and boxed £30. Prices have not changed a lot since.

*Coupling and connecting rod all in one, but then it is a cheap toy.

If anyone is still interested (unlikely!) a key is around a fiver.

Rails are having us on too. They have a couple of these "Restoration Projects" at about three times their value.*

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Hornby-Dublo-2-Rail-SR-Class-R1-0-6-0T-Steam-Locomotive-31337-/151262149207?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2337ed3a57

Apart from replacing the entire body, how do you restore this? You might be able to reshape the couplings, though one is broken and needs a new dropper. (It depends how often it's been done before - fatigue failure.)

EDIT Looking more closely I see it's even more knackered than I thought and doesn't even work! That makes it not even worth the tenner I quoted above. Sorry!

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

Could someone explain this kind of pricing to me? It's quite common with what are I think US-based E-sellers..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/311147625513

Rob this is the same seller (it seems!?!?!?) as ukpartdeals or however they spell it. They both show up frequently when I'm looking for MN locos, and they ALWAYS have Ellerman Lines listed and 5 available for stupid prices.

Interestingly, whilst they list their location, via the ebay.com web site, as "New Jersey, United States" they also state in the postage section IN BOLD RED "Doesn't post to United States". Clearly something odd about them!