EBay madness

Marcyg

These are the 2 coaches. The GWR type has little pin doorknobs. There are card running boards and vacuum pipes of a covered brass type and 1 red lamp.

attachicon.gif20140703_190219.jpg

The green Southern coach is a 3rd/guards with card running boards, vacuum pipes and 1 red lightbut no door knobs.

attachicon.gif20140703_190226.jpg

The green is Hambling paper lithos - not sure about the other. Hamblings made a quite a range of paper sides for coaches and EMUs.

• RMweb Premium

How old would they be? They look a fair few years old.

I think they were about in the 40's or maybe even pre war. I remember being given a lithograph of a LNER teak coach to use with my Trix Twin train set in the 1950's.

The Dinky Goods Yard Crane (of which there are variations in the base, with and without steps cast in.) was seemingly copied by Mastermodels (Wardie), as their 4mm "OO" Crane is very much like the Dinky one, except I think that the jib doesn't "derek", but has fixed stays.

Dinky Goods Yard Crane without steps in the base. (Probably earlier version.)

gallery_12119_3162_117550.jpg

The Hornby "O" Gauge Containers are also solid wood blocks covered in paper. (Heavy!) These have 4 chains and a lifting ring, and pre-date the Hornby Dublo Containers.

Hornby "O" Gauge LMS container and low-sided wagon. With Dinky Crane, etc...

gallery_12119_3162_110514.jpg

Those are the beasts I was referring to. There are versions of the container for all four companies and BR (I've got a GWR one - the others matter rather less! :) ).

The crane can be seen to be rather large for 00!

Concerning the two litho coaches, the Southern appears, as already stated, to be a Merco (Hamblings) bogie coach cut down and the other is actually LNWR (plum rather than chocolate and the middle panels are the upper body colour). I was not aware of Merco pre-group sheets, but that does not mean they don't exist. They date from before WW II. Hamblings suggested that the lithos could be applied to the then new Dublo coaches as well as their wooden blocks. Somewhere I still have a P.O. Mineral wagon and I had a SR van (on wooden block with Hamblings underframe (scrapped for twisted frame) and a Dublo van with a GWR DAMO litho applied (both purchased from ERG eons ago and long gone).

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

NOT RAILWAY REALTED! But worthy anyway!

This is a little confusing to me: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LE-MANS-MINIATURES-PORSCHE-917K-29-ZELTWEG-69-132052M-1-32-BNIB-DISCONTINUED-/301217976660?pt=UK_Toys_Games_Scalextrics_Slot_Cars_ET&hash=item4621fd9154

The price is fair, actually very good for the car! But, it's what he's labelled the car as, or more, what the Manufacturer has called the car! They've called it a '917K' from '1969', but the 'K' variant of the 917 only came into existence in 1970. The car for sale is actually a 917L (Not be confused with the 917LH), or the original as some would call it.

So a muck up on the manufacturers behalf, and not the sellers...for once!

Seventy seven quid for a 4mm brake van?

dumbfounded - has scrap brass really gone up so much. Unusual (possibly even "rare") but not worth that surely.

But one buyer just couldn't make up his mind what it was worth - 11 bids!! is that some sort of record? Yet still didn't win it! A bit of a flounder if you ask me.

Edited by Kenton

• RMweb Gold

dumbfounded - has scrap brass really gone up so much. Unusual (possibly even "rare") but not worth that surely.

But one buyer just couldn't make up his mind what it was worth - 11 bids!! is that some sort of record? Yet still didn't win it! A bit of a flounder if you ask me.

The problem was that each time he made a bid, it was below the current bidder's maximum so he was being automatically outbid. After 11 attempts he will have eventually got to be the highest bidder.  The other bidder then presumably came in with an even higher bid to win it.

The problem was that each time he made a bid, it was below the current bidder's maximum so he was being automatically outbid. After 11 attempts he will have eventually got to be the highest bidder.  The other bidder then presumably came in with an even higher bid to win it.

That how idiots that don't understand proxy bidding do it :no:

Neither would have paid a penny more had they just bid what they were willing to pay from the outset.

Andrew

That how idiots that don't understand proxy bidding do it :no:

Neither would have paid a penny more had they just bid what they were willing to pay from the outset.

Andrew

... and probably would have paid a lot less if they had used a snipe bidding proxy

heh! but where's the fun in that? I do hope the winner enjoys the kit - at that price they need to justify it to themselves somehow. Of course, who knows the winner might just need that one to complete his collection. A crying shame just to have this one lay around unbuilt. There can't be many layouts this one would look right on.

... and probably would have paid a lot less if they had used a snipe bidding proxy

heh! but where's the fun in that?

Oh, there is lots of fun using a sniping program!!  my favourite game is to outbid someone by 1p, especially if it is a high value item. A lot of people like to bid in round numbers, and I am pretty good at guessing the value (and therefore the likely max bid) of the item in question, The end result is that when the bid goes in with two seconds to go, the current price is at say £75, but the current high bidders maximum is a nice round £100, then I win it for £100.01 (since my bid is higher than the bidders max and more than the next increment above the current £75 price)  and the high bidder does not have enough time to up his bid by a pound or two to beat me!

It avoids bidding wars too, one guy actually contacted the seller after the auction had ended and tried to bribe him to sell it to him instead. Luckily the seller had integrity and basically said to him tough luck, if you were prepared to pay that much then that's how much you should have bid!

Edited by Titan

It has to be said that all the bags in the lot appear to be individually priced, so the original total might not be that far away from the buy-it-now price.

Edit: In fact adding all the price tags I can see I get £19.95 + £31.95 + £9.95 + £2.25 = £64.10, add the other bits to that and it does not seem too unreasonable!

Edited by Titan

The seller is a well known member of this forum.

Just saying....

Does that make him somehow immune?

We can all make mistakes (not wishing to suggest this is such a case as has been explained above.)

I still have an inbuilt mistrust of any auction that is simply a BIN - (even with "offers"- I'm yet to have one accepted) - an auction has a start price and finds its own "value" through natural bidding.