EBay madness

Marcyg

These two locos are actually different....

One has the early crest heat printed in gold (Like the early Black princess models), and the other has transfers of the late crest (1963? The instructions are actually stamped R259S, a Britannia Loco! Possibly 1964-5).

These are the two versions of the Tri-ang Railways "Primary Series" Starter Set Electric Locomotives. They are the Nellie body, but moulded in black plastic.

The early crest is the earlier of the two models (1961), and replaced the Maroon-with -TR-Logo Steeple-Cab locomotive (Introduced in 1959) as the Electric (as opposed to Clockwork) Locomotive in the Primary Series Range.

I am not so sure that the locos are "new and unrun". I think that the original packing material was a strip of foam rubber, that had a tendency to disintegrate into a sticky goo. This appears to be absent.

Possibly "well looked after" would be closer to the mark?  Also note the rusty staples on the service scheme booklet...

Ramsey.s prices top out at £60.00 for either version!

One is the Early Crest with instructions stamped R35 9061161 R.359 06/11/1961.

eBay item number: 370489383878

The other is the Late Crest with instructions stamped R259S030463 R.259S 03/04/1963. (A Britannia loco!)

eBay item number: 370489383877
Edited by Sarahagain

The Kelloggs container was made for a special train set used as prizes in a Kelloggs competition, and not generally available. BUT I am now wondering about the quantity made, as quite a few seem to be floating around...

Maybe some extra labels or containers "escaped" from the factory?

Ramsey's Price for the Kellogg's version....R474. 1968. £25.00!

Ramsey's Price for the Kellogg's version....R474. 1968. £25.00!

Still a lot for a container! But that's collecting.......

Does it include the low sided wagon (it's not a CONFLAT), though that isn't worth much (about the same as the Dublo one*, I would say).

*The couplings and wheels sell for more than the complete wagon!  :O

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Gold

That's the full RRP from Bachmann. So what's the point from the buyer's point of view?

It might work once the stock at the discounters run out and the item becomes harder to find but it must be a waste of a listing at the moment.

Still a lot for a container! But that's collecting.......

Does it include the low sided wagon (it's not a CONFLAT), though that isn't worth much (about the same as the Dublo one*, I would say).

*The couplings and wheels sell for more than the complete wagon!  :O

The wagon is included. It is in fact the second version Bolster Wagon, but with no pins. The same as used for the Cable Drum Wagons. (The tooling was modified in late 1962 to allow the container to clip in place. You cannot clip a container onto the Bolster Wagons or Cable Drum Wagons made in 1962! (Which should be on a metal chassis.)

The Tri-ang Hornby R.340 Three Containers Wagon IS a Conflat. This is a "Conflat L" Loaded with three "L Type" powder containers (Limestone, etc.). Not as some think, three "Transformers", though I can see the likeness to bits of Electicity Sub-Station!

You can always modify a Tri-ang Conflat  to take the Tri-ang BK Type containers....

Original R.215 with "Bolster Wagon"

gallery_12119_3162_214416.jpg

gallery_12119_3162_43935.jpg

Converted R.340 Conflat Wagon with Tri-ang BR Standard "BK Type" Container.

gallery_12119_3162_204679.jpg

Both types together...

gallery_12119_3162_41956.jpg

The converted Conflat (Right) and an original R.340 wagon loaded with B.R. "L type" Containers.

gallery_12119_3162_88932.jpg

The Hornby Dublo "Container wagon" is as is described, a Low-Sided Wagon with container. Either an "Insul-Meat" White or a "Furniture" Maroon Container.

The HD Containers are wooden blocks with paper overlays, and a screw eye in the roof.

Insul-Meat (BR Standard "FM Type") Container.

gallery_12119_3162_221470.jpg

Furniture Container (Ex LMS pattern "BK Type" Container).

gallery_12119_3162_12370.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain

• RMweb Gold

The wagon is included. It is in fact the second version Bolster Wagon, but with no pins. The same as used for the Cable Drum Wagons. (The tooling was modified in late 1962 to allow the container to clip in place. You cannot clip a container onto the Bolster Wagons or Cable Drum Wagons made in 1962! (Which should be on a metal chassis.)

The Tri-ang Hornby R.340 Three Containers Wagon IS a Conflat. This is a "Conflat L" Loaded with three "L Type" powder containers (Limestone, etc.). Not as some think, three "Transformers", though I can see the likeness to bits of Electicity Sub-Station!

You can always modify a Tri-ang Conflat  to take the Tri-ang BK Type containers....

Original R.215 with "Bolster Wagon"

gallery_12119_3162_214416.jpg

gallery_12119_3162_43935.jpg

Converted R.340 Conflat Wagon with Tri-ang BR Standard "BK Type" Container.

gallery_12119_3162_204679.jpg

Both types together...

gallery_12119_3162_41956.jpg

The converted Conflat (Right) and an original R.340 wagon loaded with B.R. "L type" Containers.

gallery_12119_3162_88932.jpg

The Hornby Dublo "Container wagon" is as is described, a Low-Sided Wagon with container. Either an "Insul-Meat" White or a "Furniture" Maroon Container.

The HD Containers are wooden blocks with paper overlays, and a screw eye in the roof.

Insul-Meat (BR Standard "FM Type") Container.

gallery_12119_3162_221470.jpg

Furniture Container (Ex LMS pattern "BK Type" Container).

gallery_12119_3162_12370.jpg

I could never understand why Dublo went to all the trouble and expense of producing an over length container and retooling the casting, when one of correct length would have sat on the existing underframe and not have required the Dublo Dinky Bedford flat Lorry to have the ridiculous long rear section.

The Tri-ang CONFLAT L is too short of course!

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/conflatl/h1A931D56#h1a931d56

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

WHY DO PEOPLE SHOUT WHEN THEIR SPELLING AND PUNCTUATION IS SOOOOOO BAD?

Complete with greengrocer's apostrophe :"STRAWBERRY'S"

Keith

Edited by melmerby

I could never understand why Dublo went to all the trouble and expense of producing an over length container and retooling the casting, when one of correct length would have sat on the existing underframe and not have required the Dublo Dinky Bedford flat Lorry to have the ridiculous long rear section.

The Tri-ang CONFLAT L is too short of course!

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/conflatl/h1A931D56#h1a931d56

The Budgie die-cast metal version of the B.R. Container (Supplied on a B.R. Lorry) is even longer than the Hornby Dublo ones (which do vary a little, mainly in length, depending on the size of wooden block used.

The Merit (PECO Modelscene?) Container has doors at both ends (I don't think there was a version with this facility?), and is too small, probably nearer 3/5mm/Ft "HO" scale.

Edited by Sarahagain

• RMweb Premium

Not ebay, but...

You can buy this fine example of a Thompson brake, in the little known BR blue variant of LNER Teak, "pre-owned" for £18 From Hattons.

http://www.ehattons.com/81218/Bachmann_Branchline_34_652_LN_01_Thompson_BG_Full_Brake_in_LNER_teak_Pre_owned_Like_new/StockDetail.aspx

Or new for £17. Well, they do say £17 is a bargain price.

Presumably the warped corridor connections on the second hand one are worth the extra £1, as it saves you the time of doing it yourself....?

They seem to be using the term "like new" in a particularly special way.

I can understand someone else selling second hand items for more than Hattons are charging for a new one. But I don't see the motivation for Hattons doing it themselves.

(Edited to add URL)

Edited by Coryton

Sarahagain,

Did HD make similar GW 4 wheel coaches of paper enclosing wood?

As far as I am aware, HD never made any 4-wheel coaches.

I have seen that there are some self adhesive labels on Ebay to "convert" the HD tin-plate SWB Vans to "coaches".

Other "Neverwazza" models have been made by cutting down the HD Tin-printed coaches, and fitting the shortened bodies onto LWB Goods Brake Van Chassis.

As far as I am aware, HD never made any 4-wheel coaches.

I have seen that there are some self adhesive labels on Ebay to "convert" the HD tin-plate SWB Vans to "coaches".

Other "Neverwazza" models have been made by cutting down the HD Tin-printed coaches, and fitting the shortened bodies onto LWB Goods Brake Van Chassis.

Reason I asked was some years ago I picked up 2 in a job lot. Both were paper wrapped around wood and 1 was 'fixed' to a type of flat wagon that I have probably long since forgotten about. I still have the 2 coach bodies. I will photograph them and post them up.

Sarahagain,

Did HD make similar GW 4 wheel coaches of paper enclosing wood?

Not that I'm aware of. The only items made this way I can think of are the 00 containers and cable drums and the similar 0 gauge products. There was of course the 'Merco' range of Litho sheets sold by Hamblings, but I don't recall GWR 4 wheel coaches.

There is also the Trix (and similar Mastermodel) container. This quite small, but Trix did claim to be H0 (despite their buffer height and spacing!) (usually - one of the items of literature I have talks of 00). It rode in the LWB 3 plank open wagon. Interestingly there was a suitable crane in the Trix range for these, but no loop on the container, whereas the Dublo container has a loop but no crane until the plastic goods depot appeared several years later. IIRC Meccano Magazine got around this by using the Dinky crane (which is scaled 1:43). :O :no:

> SNIPPED

There is also the Trix (and similar Mastermodel) container. This quite small, but Trix did claim to be H0 (despite their buffer height and spacing!) (usually - one of the items of literature I have talks of 00). It rode in the LWB 3 plank open wagon. Interestingly there was a suitable crane in the Trix range for these, but no loop on the container, whereas the Dublo container has a loop but no crane until the plastic goods depot appeared several years later. IIRC Meccano Magazine got around this by using the Dinky crane (which is scaled 1:43). :O :no:

The Dinky Goods Yard Crane (of which there are variations in the base, with and without steps cast in.) was seemingly copied by Mastermodels (Wardie), as their 4mm "OO" Crane is very much like the Dinky one, except I think that the jib doesn't "derek", but has fixed stays.

Dinky Goods Yard Crane without steps in the base. (Probably earlier version.)

gallery_12119_3162_117550.jpg

The Hornby "O" Gauge Containers are also solid wood blocks covered in paper. (Heavy!) These have 4 chains and a lifting ring, and pre-date the Hornby Dublo Containers.

Hornby "O" Gauge LMS container and low-sided wagon. With Dinky Crane, etc...

gallery_12119_3162_110514.jpg

• Like 2

Not that I'm aware of. The only items made this way I can think of are the 00 containers and cable drums and the similar 0 gauge products. There was of course the 'Merco' range of Litho sheets sold by Hamblings, but I don't recall GWR 4 wheel coaches.

These are the 2 coaches. The GWR type has little pin doorknobs. There are card running boards and vacuum pipes of a covered brass type and 1 red lamp.

post-19606-0-67737300-1404416646.jpg

The green Southern coach is a 3rd/guards with card running boards, vacuum pipes and 1 red lightbut no door knobs.

post-19606-0-85298200-1404417064.jpg