EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

Split 'em up, put 'em on ebay at £45 a throw, make about £300?

Or if you're Gostude, splatter 'em with chicken s**t and put 'em on ebay at £90 a go and make about £900.

Edited by Smiffy2

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium

It's only an average of 15 quid each, with only one item needing a repair/replacement to get it to work, it seems. I've seen much worse 'bargains' on ebay.

edited to add

What is funny is the quote to dump send the lot to Australia - no it wasn't me.

Just as well 6220 isn't for sale - she'll have problems with the first curved or not convex section of track.

Edited by kevinlms

Sadly, that meant it had to predate the "have you tried turning it off and back on again..." option/suggestion from the "IT Crowd"/various customer support lines...

I know, I know - coat, hat, etc... :jester:

It works because digital electronics need to be reset at switch on to its normal working state. Loss of a program means this option is no longer available (Help!!!)

Edited by Il Grifone

At least it's someone who realises that a 9V battery is sufficient to quickly test items and doesn't come the "I have no way of testing, if this works!"

(I usually interpret this  as "Doesn't work!)

• RMweb Gold

But Mainly Trains postage is £2.95 giving a total of £5.95. The E bay item has postage of £1.30 giving a total of £5.29.

Also Mainly Trains will not accept orders for goods less than £5.00

So if you want the item, the E Bay route is not madness at all.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the listing.

• Like 1

But Mainly Trains postage is £2.95 giving a total of £5.95. The E bay item has postage of £1.30 giving a total of £5.29.

Didn't realise that. I have however seen these and MT etches go for silly money on Flebray.

At least it's someone who realises that a 9V battery is sufficient to quickly test items and doesn't come the "I have no way of testing, if this works!"

(I usually interpret this  as "Doesn't work!)

So sometimes I am pleasantly surprised when they do work, or just need a wire reconnecting to run.

It does say he has a few faults!

But then you never order just one item from Dave! :)

Edited by Il Grifone

And it has 1 Watcher! Probably watching to see if anyone is stupid enough to pay that kind of money for it!

If at first you do not succeed in finding some gullible (possibly foreign) mug to part with far too much money for a listed (so called RARE) item.

... just keep on re-listing it until you do! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221479161950?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2661

Fishing for suckers.

• RMweb Premium

Why are even decrepit tenderless damaged wrecks like this fetching such silly money lately?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161343964153?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I was out at thirty five quid for that is all this was worth.

There are a few nice things in that lot....including a lighted TTR Brakevan and a few "operating" dump-hoppers, electric points, levers, instructions, Playcraft Loco Shed, etc, and even some Tri-ang (Which won't couple to the TTR and Playcraft, which both have "PECO" type couplings)...etc. But the price?

BUT the "Rare" B.R. (Ex LNER) Pytchley Loco has a USA style "Switcher" slope back tender, coupled on back to front! (There is some TTR USA style rolling stock to go with that tender...)

NOW, just why do people do this? With Tri-ang Hornby locos it is not rocket science, there is only one logical way to couple the loco and tender! BUT, still it happens, the hook ofthe rear tender coupling engaged in the hole in the loco to tender drawbar! HOW do they think you couple any rolling stock to a downward pointing pin?

(Other brands of model railway equipment, in all gauges, are also prone to this effect....)

AND, it is not just "beginners", some "model" shops do this as well on their displays! (OK, mostly those "model" shops that are really Toy Shops or outlets like Nauticalia (They do Boat Things, but the one (Now Gone) in Chester had Hornby Railways as well....and they were Guilty as Charged m'Lud....

(Rant Over! ;) )

Also available from the same seller, a nice boxed lot of Tri-ang Railways. Davey Crockett Loco (With Smoke), tender and two coaches....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIANG-R358s-2-6-0-OLD-TIME-LOCOMOTIVE-DAVY-CROCKETT-R233-TENDER-R488-COACHES-/191198687714?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2c845471e2

Nice, but the price?.......

Edited by Sarahagain

Looking at that tender it does seem to have a Trix coupling at the back, so possibly the tender body has been removed and put back back-to-front. In which case all Sarah's comments still apply, but with extra commitment on someone's part to density.

• Like 2

Did anyone see these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371087281477?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Two Triang conflats and containers - £113. And elevenpence.

They're interesting, as far as I know rare, they're probably collectible, but 113 notes?

The Triang Toys container version was part of the Freightmaster set from the mid to late 'sixties so is hardly uncommon, though I have a feling the Kellogg's container version is much rarer.