EBay madness

Marcyg

Quite. Which is, presumably, why people will happily bid more for some items than they could buy them for new or from the manufacturer.

I knew of someone who made a killing at Christmas by offering items from Argos - he even nicked Argos' pictures - and adding 10%. When people bid for them he went and bought them from Argos, added his percentage and charged for postage.

Or so I was told. Like so much to do with ebay it may not be all it seems.

>edit<

Crossed in the post with Darren, but I completely agree. Their idea of a 'rare' Dapol wagon is elastic and liberal...

Edited by Smiffy2
  • Like 1

Aaargh!

My eyes!

"A friend of mine who did the DCC Sound conversion that the respay is an exceelnet job, and that if he had done it he would ahve been proud of it."[/size]

It's wise to stay away from all things 'exceelnet'

In fairness it does say unsure if the tender is correct - you don't say mate

Penny's just dropped :blush: - Just realised its a 3 rail loco with a what looks like a ringfield tender. Doh! - on my part! ...and I nearly bid :wacko:

Quite. Which is, presumably, why people will happily bid more for some items than they could buy them for new or from the manufacturer.

I knew of someone who made a killing at Christmas by offering items from Argos - he even nicked Argos' pictures - and adding 10%. When people bid for them he went and bought them from Argos, added his percentage and charged for postage.

Or so I was told. Like so much to do with ebay it may not be all it seems.

>edit<

Crossed in the post with Darren, but I completely agree. Their idea of a 'rare' Dapol wagon is elastic and liberal...

Given that ebay charge 10% commission that seems a pretty daft business model.....

• RMweb Gold

Until recently Rails would have auctioned this type o fmodel and others, with a starting bid of 99p and still got these over the top prices for them.

It's the 3 rail ringfield version that's 'sought after', the others are quite common and usually considerably cheaper.

There's also this one at about twice the usual price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-DUBLO-3217-BR-BLACK-0-6-2-TANK-LOCO-69567-/131180089646?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1e8af1512e

(To be pedantic, I would expect a 3217 to have plastic wheels and couplings and the later 'ferret' emblem, this is an EDL17 and the

"Loco has been sprayed with oil to help preserve condition" seems to have turned the finish yellow.)

Judging by the skew number transfer, this one was made on a Friday afternoon.

EDIT

I see the box is marked "3217", which suggests Meccano Ltd unloading old stock (not unknown) or the wrong box, though it does look like the earlier box type.

Edited by Il Grifone

...."Loco has been sprayed with oil to help preserve condition" seems to have turned the finish yellow.)

Judging by the skew number transfer, this one was made on a Friday afternoon.

More likely "restored" on a Friday afternoon.

Further making the point:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181440050027?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

That's at £12.50 plus £3.50 postage. It's available for £9 from 5&9's website (if they are still in business) + £3 p&p.

My wallet groaned, when I looked at that lot - I don't need any more wagons! I don't need any more wagons! I don't need any more wagons! ............

Never heard of doing that before, have I been living in a cave? :mail:

It makes it shiny (for about 5 minutes) and collects dirt.....

EDIT to put the bracket in the right place

Edited by Il Grifone

It makes it shiny for (about 5 minutes) and collects dirt.....

and, depending on the "Oil" used, potentially dissolves the plastic and/ or printing and paint finishes....

A slippery, oily, model gets dropped easily too! 

Another "scraped" model on the way? ;)