EBay madness

Marcyg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMA-OO-Model-L205101-LNER-0-6-0T-Class-J50-Pannier-Tank-No-8920-in-Green-VGC-/161324028925?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item258fa953fd#viTabs_0

PHOTO IS LIBRARY ONLY - NOT THE ACTUAL ITEM AS EBAY WON'T LET ME LOAD THE ORIGINAL - THIS ONE IS BETTER WITH GOLD LINING.[/size]

Why would ebay not allow the uploading of a photograph?

Does ebay have a file size limit? I know its no reason to forgo posting the actual picture, but some people are tech illiterate.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMA-OO-Model-L205101-LNER-0-6-0T-Class-J50-Pannier-Tank-No-8920-in-Green-VGC-/161324028925?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item258fa953fd#viTabs_0

PHOTO IS LIBRARY ONLY - NOT THE ACTUAL ITEM AS EBAY WON'T LET ME LOAD THE ORIGINAL - THIS ONE IS BETTER WITH GOLD LINING.

Why would ebay not allow the uploading of a photograph?

I would say that £30 is rather a lot for a Lima J50, especially when there is no guarantee that it actually works and how is gold lining better than white?

I do agree with Chris though, I too purchased from this seller in the past and his items have been flawless and generally excellent if not seemingly unused new-old-stock quality.

Another happy tinplatelad customer here too. Must have just been an oversight.

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Dublo-Gresley-A4-Union-of-South-Africa-3-Rail-NEVERWAZZA/171352437636

Ideal for whoever buys Stoke Bank. 

"To the purists out there this may be a step too far."  You don't say....

Quote: "This is a "What if moment". What if the diesels hadn't come along when they did? What if British Rail had come up with something like this in its early days?"

What if the seller had never got involved in model railways?

The LNER version of the LMS "Turbomotive" ?

Note the total lack of vale gear, yet alone Cylinders and connecting rods!

Other than that, not soooo bad!

I'm sorry, but that made me smile & I jolly well need one* today!

*A smile, not an InterCity steam locomotive...

Maybe its because Im not a big fan of the LNER or A4s but I really dont see whats wrong with it from a modelers perspective. Its an imaginary locomotive. Yes there wouldve been better models to do this too rather than the 3rail dublo, but at least he did something to it rather than it living in a landfill for the rest of eternity.

This is a goody.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/London-Tower-Bridge-3-D-Puzzle-Idea-For-Train-Track-Model-Railway-/321428022187?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4ad69a63ab

It's a 3D Jigsaw.

Made by Hornby...

OO gauge, DCC...

It's also pre-assembled which is pretty rad for a jigsaw.

I wish companies would get get the  Union flag right when using it.

Its a bit small for my 7mm stuff.

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't there a Tower Bridge on that massive Stobart layout that was on here for thousands of pounds?  It sticks in the mind as it was, IIRC, next to what looked like an Antarctic scene...

Yes, last photo!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-Stobart-00-gauge-and-n-gauge-train-layout-24ft-x-16ft-with-minic-motorway-/121257695269?nma=true&si=06vMQvlT3ge3bqgZ3g7MdfdKeXs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

You must have been VERY interested to remember such detail!!!

In fact its back on sale for less than half price, so place a bid!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-00-gauge-and-n-gauge-train-layout-24ft-x-16ft-minic-motorway-/121344015194?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1c40aabb5a

Edited by kevinlms

• RMweb Premium

Gostude beat this:

(4th one down)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0715313789/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Not E-bay, I know, but posted to show madness also exists elsewhere (Amazon)

Even on E-bay I don't think we get quite such a variation in offers :no:

I was after a copy of this book but got a good S/H elsewhere at a reasonable price

Keith

• RMweb Gold

This guy has 365,159 items for sale on Amazon, most of which seem to be £399.  Another guy with a very strange business model.  I suspect the £999 price is because he doesn't have it in stock, and it will be reduced to "normal" when it is.

Gostude beat this:

(4th one down)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0715313789/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Not E-bay, I know, but posted to show madness also exists elsewhere (Amazon)

Even on E-bay I don't think we get quite such a variation in offers :no:

I was after a copy of this book but got a good S/H elsewhere at a reasonable price

Keith

Good GRIEF!!! I've one of those mint condition originally purchased by me in hardback published in 1987, sleeve is mint and everything!

Never even looked inside it, sitting right here on my shelf - is it worth a million quid?? Surely with the paperback at 999 it must be worth it's weight in gold, or lead at least :) :) :)

The LNER150 same condition is sitting right next to it too - maybe I'm a millionaire and don't know it! :jester:  :jester:

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Premium

Good GRIEF!!! I've one of those mint condition originally purchased by me in hardback published in 1987, sleeve is mint and everything!

Never even looked inside it, sitting right here on my shelf - is it worth a million quid?? Surely with the paperback at 999 it must be worth it's weight in gold, or lead at least :) :) :)

The LNER150 same condition is sitting right next to it too - maybe I'm a millionaire and don't know it! :jester:  :jester:

Yeah! Silly prices.

I have two in paperbacks (GWR and LNER) bought new for under £10 each and SR & LMS in hardback, slightly worn bought for around £15 each.

All bought in the last few years.

All versions are readily available in good condition at S/H bookshops at reasonable prices. They are not rare. (except brand new Hardback I assume)

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Yeah! Silly prices.

I have two in paperbacks (GWR and LNER) bought new for under £10 each and SR & LMS in hardback, slightly worn bought for around £15 each.

All bought in the last few years.

All versions are readily available in good condition at S/H bookshops at reasonable prices. They are not rare. (except brand new Hardback I assume)

Keith

Even a quick scan of eBay shows the two I have, in hardbackeven, can be had (assuming the condition that "appears" in the photos and is stated is accurate) for around or under a tenner each - so much for me becoming a millionaire quickly - those amazon sellers are dreaming. :O

• RMweb Premium

Even a quick scan of eBay shows the two I have, in hardbackeven, can be had (assuming the condition that "appears" in the photos and is stated is accurate) for around or under a tenner each - so much for me becoming a millionaire quickly - those amazon sellers are dreaming. :O

I think at least some of the strange Amazon/Abe Books pricing is due to sellers running algorithms that automatically calculate prices based on what their competitors are offering.

You then get two (or more) companies locked in loops where seller A responds to seller B's price, who responds to sellers A's price, who responds to seller B's price, which can drive prices up to silly values. Or down.

You can follow the wild fluctuations in price on uk.camelcamelcamel.com.

For example, the lowest price for the Colin Marsden Diesel and Electric Loco Recognition Guide (new) hit a high of £47.99 in June last year, then dropped to 1p just before Christmas (a very convenient time for a bargain), before shooting up to £20, where it seems to have stayed this year.

But you can choose to pay £179.93, or £999.00 if you want. And if you prefer 2nd hand, you can have a 2nd hand one for £999.00 too.

Sometimes buying from Amazon feels like playing the stock market.

• Like 1