EBay madness

Marcyg

What about this one which the seller describes as  The plastic container has been opened, but the model train is BRAND NEW.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIFE-LIKE-ITEM-7728-N-SCALE-SOUTHERN-PACIFIC-BLACK-WINDOW-LOCOMOTIVE-5321-/191154381178?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2c81b0617a

The seller appears to have mistaken dollars for cents! :no: :scratchhead:

Edited by Il Grifone

Vectis auctions is one source. The eBay traders buy the large lots and sell the contents individually.

Mike Wiltshire

I sold some rolling stock at a boot sale once, which then soon afterwards reappeared on eBay. It sold for a bit more than I got, but, once subtracted eBay fees etc., at best the deal broke even.

Good GRIEF!! I am now fully convinced I can paint a dog turd BR colours, put it in a Hornby Box, provide the right listing text and sell it for a fortune!

Having seen 50040 when it was in this state, I actually thought this model looked quite good.  Maybe that's just me though

The weathering (for once) is actually reasonable and realistic, but is it really worth that much money for a rather pointless (IMHO) scenic item?  You can have a much more useful working model for rather less.

Edited by Il Grifone

The weathering (for once) is actually reasonable and realistic, but is it really worth that much money for a rather pointless (IMHO) scenic item?  You can have a much more useful working model for rather less.

As modellers we all tend to forget that there are a large number of 'collectors' out there and this would make a nice display in a case. If two bidders remember it like this, then that is a good reason for the price.

How much would it cost to commission such a mini diorama from a skilled craftsman -@£200-300 ?

Tony

I think the bumf says that the model still runs, so conceivably you could run it at a show as some sort of horrific practical joke....

Didn't realise they exported these locos to Australia..................................

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Didn't realise they exported these locos to Australia..................................

But it says that 'seller may not post to Australia' - very confusing! Does a buyer get two?

• RMweb Gold

Don't these people ever check their listings before going to auction?

For that starting price I would want a full set of images with close-ups. Last time I listed they were offering 12 pictures cheap/free IIRC.

Don't these people ever check their listings before going to auction?

For that starting price I would want a full set of images with close-ups. Last time I listed they were offering 12 pictures cheap/free IIRC.

The photos (both the same) are indicative of someone who didn't wait for his mobile phone camera to focus properly....! They are clear enough to show that the front vac. pipe is wrongly positioned, and the handrail section over the smokebox door will need to be done all over again.

Edited by Horsetan

Here's a seller with an honest description of the object. The dome looks indeed a wee bit tall and thin. I wonder how Gostude would have approached a sale of this engine?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIT-BUILT-ASPINALL-4-4-0-LOCO-in-L-Y-Black-Livery-/291138302969?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item43c931f3f9

Edited by knobhead
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here's a seller with an honest description of the object. The dome looks indeed a wee bit tall and thin. I wonder how Gostude would have approached a sale of this engine?

Easy..

BOXED

WEATHERERED and SUPERDETAILED

This locomotive has been very nicely weathered and had extra detailing parts added.

Original couplings have been removed and replaced with scale hook and chain types. The original couplings can easily be reinstated.

Comes in a shelf warn box with all internal packing.

His Zodiac convertible sounds like a money pit - I had a Mk II Consul years ago, which always needed money to be spent on her (and she was only around ten years old then and obtaining spares only needed a visit to the local Ford dealer!).

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIT-BUILT-ASPINALL-4-4-0-LOCO-in-L-Y-Black-Livery-/291138302969?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item43c931f3f9

Another zero on the end of the price for a start. Or wait until it appears on his listings.