EBay madness

Marcyg

Have only just happened across this thread.  I'm an active eBayer, both as a buyer and a seller, and yes: some bizarre things happen there.

I haven't read the whole thread (!!!) and don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but a month or so ago someone was selling a Mainline Toad that had been modified into a Permanent Way vehicle.  All this involved was filling in the verandah with planked plastikard, fabricating part of a door frame, and relettering.  The job could have been done without even a repaint of the original model.  It was done reasonably well, but could have taken no more than an evening, plus allowances for paint-drying time.

Selling price: £33

My gob has rarely been so smacked.

I noticed the chap had another example, almost identical, up for sale.  So I watched it.

Selling price: £55

My gob has never been so smacked in its life.

I have finally found a use for those three redundant Mainline Toads in my spares box!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Welcome to the thread! This is where the expensive, the ludicrous, the over-hyped, the poorly/incorrectly described and illustrated and the just plain rubbish with perceived 'value' are pointed out!

I often wonder if the 'habitual usual suspects' do actually look on here. It would seem not, as they all carry on with their usual antics!

My gob has never been so smacked in its life.

Can I suggest you go back through the thread and see if you can find the genius who sprayed some old Hornby LNER coaches black, applied incorrect transfers in the wrong places, called them 'wartime' and made a mint on them?

Guest spet0114

Can I suggest you go back through the thread and see if you can find the genius who sprayed some old Hornby LNER coaches black, applied incorrect transfers in the wrong places, called them 'wartime' and made a mint on them?

I've a suspicion I've seen these before, along with a similar set in silver. Both were purchased by the same chap, who proudly posted about them on another forum. When I dared to refer to the latter as a monstrosity, a whole bunch of grief came my way....

Oh well, we live and learn....:)

Cheers

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Just worth a mention for a newbie, the search function on this board doesn't actually search the Wheeltappers bit (of which the Ebay threads are a sub site).   Wouldn't want to drive a newcomer too crazy too soon  :no: 

Guest spet0114

Yes, those are the ones. The previous set of "LNER wartime" coaches this chap produced were similar except that instead of repainting Gresley-based coaches, he repainted a Mk I, several Mk IIs and a Triang TPO from their 'transcontinental' range!! :S

Craziness!

Cheers

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm, just what you'd need in wartime!  Cover up the station nameboards, take down roadsigns, and paint LNER in giant letters on coach roofs.  Unless, of course, they lent them to the GWR for the duration :jester:

• RMweb Premium

"Will post to UK".

Somehow, it aint gonna fit through my letterbox.

Cheers,

Mick

"Will post to UK".

Somehow, it aint gonna fit through my letterbox.

Cheers,

Mick

Even more impressive "Will post to Australia". I look forward to picking them up from the local Post Office :D.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Even more impressive "Will post to Australia". I look forward to picking them up from the local Post Office :D.

But its local delivery for you - almost! You'll be able to drive it home, except for that pesky gauge difference, or is it?