EBay madness

Marcyg

^^

OT but in respect of the previous comment, I think an original 1961 Triumph Herald went for auction last Saturday. It only had 20 miles on the clock......

My Father (aka The Pt Way Dept) owns a 1964 MGB roadster in Tartan Red, seen here giving The Small Controller a ride:

22042011196.jpg

He was interviewed in the local paper at the time of the Aged Ps' silver wedding because he was still driving the same car, in the same job (Western Region Civil Engineer, albeit a bit promoted), living in the same house, with the same wife, and dare I say it drinking in the same pub (where he had struck up conversation with the journalist) as 25 years before. The car did go into storage for a long while when my sister was born because they couldn't bolt two baby seats in the back as they had with my one, and was eventually renovated from a parlous state having lived in a friend's barn where chickens roosted in it and eventually a roof fell down on the thing.

Anyway, I digress. Having had it restored to just short of concours condition (Code 3? ;) ) Dad got a limited mileage policy so he could take the thing out for a spin now & again. After approximately three weeks he was close to the annual allowance, to changed the policy to unlimited including business purposes (and bless him insured me on it) & for the rest of his working life used to roar up to site meetings in the thing!

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 3

I do not really care about the collectors or dealers.

What I enjoy is getting a RTR model and upgrading it by detailing, re-numbering/naming and then weathering.

Or even building a kit.

The only mint boxed items I have are the ones awaiting a works visit to be upgraded in appearance and down-graded in collectable value!

A couple of examples:-

Hornby Black 5. Started life as 45253. Converted to EM. Brassmasters detailing kit. Re-numbered and weathered:-

post-3520-0-24508400-1380715517_thumb.jpg

Pair Bachmann DE Shunters:-

post-3520-0-25700400-1380715545_thumb.jpg

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 3

Someone else jumping on the breaking sets up bandwagon. This guy appears to be having a bit of a giraffe in the price department though (I think he thinks its the maroon verison?)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-LOCO-ONLY-6220-FROM-R3092-CORONATION-SCOT-SET-BRAND-NEW-FROM-BOX-/350890002952?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item51b2ac8a08

No mention of the tender, wonder if that's extra??

I think an original 1961 Triumph Herald went for auction last Saturday. It only had 20 miles on the clock......

What a waste .... almost as bad as buying the latest RTR loco and leaving that in a box all its life. I once had a s/h (second engine) Herald with over 100K times as many miles on the "broken" clock, wonderful car/nostalgia.

Afternoon all

I also agree that models are meant to be run.

Who gets pleasure from looking at a series of boxes in a display cabinet?

I also collect cricket books, and there are those who buy them at inflated prices and never read them. Mine are all well thumbed and couple have been rebound, but they give me much more pleasure than if they were merely items behind glass panels.

I know a farmer who spent ages and a lot of money restoring an old Bentley. On a summer's day you often see him hurtling through the village, going round corners on opposite lock with tyres smoking. When someone told him that he should treat a valuable car with care, he remarked "They are meant to be driven hard".

Earlswood nob

Edited by Earlswood Nob

Someone else jumping on the breaking sets up bandwagon. This guy appears to be having a bit of a giraffe in the price department though (I think he thinks its the maroon verison?)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-LOCO-ONLY-6220-FROM-R3092-CORONATION-SCOT-SET-BRAND-NEW-FROM-BOX-/350890002952?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item51b2ac8a08

And the tender? (Even collectors want that!) (and, ideally, the complete set...)

Edited by Il Grifone

And the tender? (Even collectors want that!) (and, ideally, the complete set...)

I have asked the question of the seller.  This once I'd love it to be a genuine error that's remedied.

• Like 1

I have found 2 of the 3 coaches....£50.00 each! :O

1st Class coach..1st Class price! LINK...

But no sign of the Tender! :no:

This sounds a bit more like it... :sungum:

The complete set...LINK...

Of course...we have the 1990s Coronation set, with the Tender Drive Ringfield Motor. :sungum:  We also have an extra Brake 3rd so there is a brake at either end. (But no Restaurant Car set. :(  )

I wonder how much that is worth....Mint in Box...;)

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 1

On the subject of splitting sets, I see that it's being offered here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-RAILWAYS-No-R696-BR-Class-43-125-HST-XPT-SUPER-TRAIN-SET-RARE-/300873518714?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item460d758e7a

Form an orderly queue now - no pushing and shoving! Obviously, you are all keen to splash out 150 quid on an old-style Hornby power car and 95 quid each on some short-length Mk3s! :jester:

.....I know a farmer who spent ages and a lot of money restoring an old Bentley. On a summer's day you often see him hurtling through the village, going round corners on opposite lock with tyres smoking. When someone told him that he should treat a valuable car with care, he remarked "They are meant to be driven hard".

I wonder if he'll go rallying in it?