EBay madness

Marcyg

'Unopened,' - someone should check that these are mint and boxed..?

Actually, the track section and the coach are in a separate package. They are in a plastic "bubble" on a card base spot glued to the backing board, alongside the Magazine and paperwork, which is in a plastic pouch, also spot glued to the backing board.

So, not such a problem.....wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

Average price for a Bachmann tender loco or 'large' diesel at auction is c.£30-40 unless it's something special but that sort of price applies to lots of 3 or more locos.

Average price for a Bachmann tender loco or 'large' diesel at auction is c.£30-40 unless it's something special but that sort of price applies to lots of 3 or more locos.

Going rate's about a third to a half of that.

So I saw with research.  Apologies to hornbyandb3fan for my ignorance.  

Just wish the same applied to 08 shunters where even battered old Triang ones were going for way more than my budget - I was then delighted to pick up this Hornby beauty for £25 including postage, but only after four months looking:

2012_07_02_1123.JPG

• Like 2

So I saw with research.  Apologies to hornbyandb3fan for my ignorance.  

Just wish the same applied to 08 shunters where even battered old Triang ones were going for way more than my budget - I was then delighted to pick up this Hornby beauty for £25 including postage, but only after four months looking:

2012_07_02_1123.JPG

With respect, and apologies, but that running gear doesn't look like Hornby to my eyes.  the coupling rods and wheel profile appear to be Lima. 

With respect, and apologies, but that running gear doesn't look like Hornby to my eyes.  the coupling rods and wheel profile appear to be Lima. 

Thinking about it you're right.  I checked the eBay purchases list & it was my mistake again - it had been sent in a very retro Hornby box for some reason!

C&WR makes note to self to check facts before applying digits to keyboard...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was intrigued by this statement by the seller:

please note i use the royal mail as they are local to me,i have no transport or  printer to use other couriers etc.
the service i use is royal mail small parcels 1st class signed for and thats whats being quoted in my postage costs,this includes compensation upto £50 as standard,
obviously if some of my locomotives etc  sell for alot more then £50  then you may need to increase the compensation rather then just taking the risk with this service,that decision and extra cost will be down to the buyer,unfortunately  this is the max compensation with this service so if you did want to increase the limit then the next service i believe is around £9.25 which i can sort at your cost with a amended invoice after the  auction ends.
many thanks

Maybe it's a misconception of mine, but I believe that the seller is responsible for delivering what he sells to your door, undamaged, and that the wise seller selects an appropriate level of cover which will cover his or her losses in the event of a parcel going astray or being damaged. It looks like the seller in this case is attempting to shift that responsibility onto the buyer.

Not only that, but the body is also Lima. You can tell by the too-long fuel tanks directly in front of the cab. I think the cab itself looks a bit too long as well, even at that angle. 

Give the lad a break!  He's very happy with it!

Tony

They're not bad - I have two of them and both run well and look like an 08, unlike the ancient Hornby (Tri-ang) thing which should have been retired long ago. (They're supposedly an 09, but AFAIK there is no external difference?)

Not only that, but the body is also Lima. You can tell by the too-long fuel tanks directly in front of the cab. I think the cab itself looks a bit too long as well, even at that angle. 

To be honest I wouldn't have a clue or give a tinker's cuss.  It looks like the shunters I remember as a nipper, is one of the best runners on the railway, and filled a gap for a very modest price!

Please note this post is not meant to be aggressive or to denigrate the knowledge of others.  I'm trying my best, but ultimately my railway is there to give me something to do on wet afternoons when there's no Rugby & to try & give some fun to The Small Controller.  He wouldn't care if I painted it pink & green stripes (my Sevens team's colours) and fitted a sound decoder that played Gangnam Style.  In fact now he can read and use the computer probably best delete that lest he sees it and tells me he would prefer I did ;)

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 1

They're not bad - I have two of them and both run well and look like an 08, unlike the ancient Hornby (Tri-ang) thing which should have been retired long ago. (They're supposedly an 09, but AFAIK there is no external difference?)

Further to this, Lima have a reputation for poor running. Perhaps I've been lucky, but all mine run well (from 0-4-0 US switchers though DSB Mz diesels to GWR 4575s - over a dozen). A decent controller is essential however, as they are rather high geared. Their main faults are the coarse wheels with poor profile and the unique version on the European loop coupling which won't couple with other makes.

Edited by Il Grifone

Going OT for a bit, but it does involve eBay purchases! I have an H&M Duette and with the exception of a new Bachmann Class 220 and nearly new Bachmann Class 166 my Lima stuff runs the best.

Of the original stock my Western (new in the late 70s) ran perfectly after 25 years in storage, albeit chucking sparks about & with a horrible smell which I gather is prototypical; the Prairie (second hand in about 1980) needed new brushes, but went beautifully once these were put in. Meanwhile my Hornby Pannier Tank (new 1980-ish), King Class (new 1980-ish) & HST (second-hand 1982-ish) have caused nothing but problems & needed constant servicing & lubrication, although to be fair to the latter I am running fairly long rakes of coaches behind them.

I've since had Lima a Class 37 and Class 47 from eBay which both run superbly, although they did have a quick service. The 08 as I said is one of the best runners straight out of the post with no work on it. The GWR Railcar No 22 and Class 117 DMU are a little temperamental, but I have not dared take them to bits to service after reading on here the old plastic is a bit frangible, so all they've had done is a quick dab of sewing machine oil on the bits I can get at.

The Mainline Class 45 I'm working on has had a quick test run on the makeshift track in the garden. Even that doesn't live up to the poor rep of the motors!

In short I find the Lima stuff very reliable. It may not be hugely accurate, but it does for my needs & I'm not frightened to start hacking the newer eBay purchases about so that's a good result in my book!

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Probably due to the rarity - very few examples in captivity of a K's kit that someone's managed to build well  :jester:

Blimey, I've got a well made, but unlined, one of those, paid £35 for it at a show a few years ago. Runs beautifully and very powerful. Not tempted to sell, though.

• RMweb Premium

another buy for profit seller. these are clearly the £3.99 mk1's. going for more than he paid for them!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-British-Rail-Mk-1-Maroon-Coaches-x5-Rake-/161103128321?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item25827ea701#ht_178wt_1141

OK

Own up. Which of you is now in selling mode after hoovering up all of WHSmith's stock? :jester:

Keith

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hachette-OO-Gauge-2-BR-Mark-1-Maroon-Railway-Corridor-Coaches-Suit-Hornby/121172328418?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D1281544826855481598%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D171121666380%26

Odd one here.  Described as Hachette and started at £4.99 the pair (+ p/p) so not his fault if bidders push it up, but then he goes and says:

sshh. i`m decluttering, heres more of my Model Railway items, been collecting for years, they have to go, hey, grab a bargain, I need the space.

Hachette OO Gauge, Rake of 2 BR Mark 1 Maroon Railway Corridor Coaches. New Unused - compatiable with Hornby.

Now I don't quite see how he's been collecting these for years?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hachette-OO-Gauge-2-BR-Mark-1-Maroon-Railway-Corridor-Coaches-Suit-Hornby/121172328418?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D1281544826855481598%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D171121666380%26

Odd one here.  Described as Hachette and started at £4.99 the pair (+ p/p) so not his fault if bidders push it up, but then he goes and says:

sshh. i`m decluttering, heres more of my Model Railway items, been collecting for years, they have to go, hey, grab a bargain, I need the space.

Hachette OO Gauge, Rake of 2 BR Mark 1 Maroon Railway Corridor Coaches. New Unused - compatiable with Hornby.

Now I don't quite see how he's been collecting these for years?

To be fair he just says he's been collecting for years, not necessarily these, and possibly he got them first time round (at £2.99). In any case his start price is less than cost (ignoring the track, which is pretty worthless IMHO). The only thing I would contest is their compatibility with Hornby - the Hachette windows are the right size and in the right place.

I've just noticed that they've been valued more than a pair of Lima mark Is

Edited by Il Grifone