EBay madness

Marcyg

Is there a market for these Mike? I have loads somewhere (Bassett Lowke, BMP Jamieson and suchlike)!

Yes All sorts of old paperwork is collectable.

I would assume the Tri-ang maintenance kit is from the early sixties, as they became Tri-ang/Hornby, following  the demise of Meccano Ltd. in 1964. There were probably plenty still around afterwards, as I doubt it sold very well at 17/6d.

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/oonew/toolsA.htm

I can remember thinking the Power Clean Brush was a good idea, but not at 3/11d, so I made my own from a brass suede brush, with the centre bristles removed. (It worked too, though obviously only on the driving wheels.)

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Gold

Olddudders, I'm still awaiting the courtesy of a reply. Firstly, when is it acceptable to patronise or insult another member? For that matter, is it good form to twist another member's message for a cheap laugh? Is it considered good sport to attack a new member? As a couple of other members thought your attack on me was great, I clearly need to know these things.

Secondly, why are K's kits irretrievable, based on your practical experience of them? If I've misinterpreted the latter, and you were claiming that I was being patronising for saying they weren't irretrievable, I was only responding to another post. 

Oh, dear. First of all - have you noticed where this topic sits? In Wheeltappers. This is an area - available to members only - where we relax and take things a little less seriously. There are plenty of other threads in other parts of the Forum to discuss the rights and wrongs of the market and future of the hobby - and it's all done to death on a regular basis. This thread is about looking at ebay and seeing the odd, the bizarre and the silly price. Most of the items are not much more than one-liners - as you must have noticed. Hence my point about you coming in at post 7000-odd and going in a different direction, offering your philosophy at length on this and that. Isn't it sensible, maybe even polite, for new members to do as Rome does when in Rome? By all means start new threads and invite debate on matters that interest you and may indeed interest many others - but this thread has its style already set, so I follow it.

K's kits are not generally regarded in a good light - period, hence any high prices seem worthy of comment here. M'learned Friend Horsetan has been here longer than me, and built a very great number of kits, I believe, so he knows his onions. My adventures with K's kits in the '60s did not result in anything worthwhile.

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 1

This is an area - available to members only - where we relax and take things a little less seriously.

Thanks, Olddudders, as a comparatively new member I hadn't realised this was a bit of an "anything goes" part of the board.  I only came across it recently, mainly keeping to the Card Structure, BR Blue & London Underground bits.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Olddudders, as a comparatively new member I hadn't realised this was a bit of an "anything goes" part of the board.  I only came across it recently, mainly keeping to the Card Structure, BR Blue & London Underground bits.

Yes, as long as you stay within forum rules, e.g. no political rants etc, you can start a thread on anything in Wheeltappers. Hence threads on tv, football, Formula 1 etc. With about 20k members now - sadly not all are active - it does mean that if you've got a problem e.g. with a piece of domestic kit, you can ask a question with a real chance of help.

Yes All sorts of old paperwork is collectable.

I would assume the Tri-ang maintenance kit is from the early sixties, as they became Tri-ang/Hornby, following  the demise of Meccano Ltd. in 1964. There were probably plenty still around afterwards, as I doubt it sold very well at 17/6d.

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/oonew/toolsA.htm

I can remember thinking the Power Clean Brush was a good idea, but not at 3/11d, so I made my own from a brass suede brush, with the centre bristles removed. (It worked too, though obviously only on the driving wheels.)

The Tool Kit RT.288 first appears in the1961 Tri-ang Railways catalogue.

The Maintenance Kit RT.298 first appears in the1963 Tri-ang Railways catalogue. (Available summer 1963)

The RT. 297 Power Clean brush had a block of foam between the two clumps of brass bristles for insulation. It first appears as NEW! in the 1965 Tri-ang Railways catalogue.

R. was an OO Gauge item.

T. was a TT Gauge item.

RT. was an item suitable for use with OO and TT gauges.

Yes, there is most certainly a market for old catalogues, etc. :)

• RMweb Gold

We've had empty boxes, we've had dreadful "collectors" items, but this moves the game a little further :

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/C881-Ancien-tube-de-colle-Maquette-Faller-train-Ho-PC-505-4-1960-/390654828958?pt=FR_YO_JeuxJouetd_TrainsElectriques&hash=item5af4d7a19e

£25 for an old tube of plastic glue?

• RMweb Gold

We've had empty boxes, we've had dreadful "collectors" items, but this moves the game a little further :

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/C881-Ancien-tube-de-colle-Maquette-Faller-train-Ho-PC-505-4-1960-/390654828958?pt=FR_YO_JeuxJouetd_TrainsElectriques&hash=item5af4d7a19e

OMG let's hope La Boutique de Cartmel doesn't see this!

• RMweb Gold

But it is boxed.