EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

Even when the majority haven't, some will always have.  Same as it ever was.

Exactly so.  There is still 'plenty of money about' if you look in the right places - sales in the auction room I frequent are doing as well as if not better than ever and prices for 'quality' objects are holding up well - if not rising.  But tat simply will not bring out the bidders - that sort of market has gone.  Some of those who buy at auction to re-sell on Ebay are being careful, I heard of one some time back who was limiting himself to spending no more than £24,000 on model railway items, mainly r-t-r at a particular auction while at another I saw someone spend well in excess of £40,000 simply in order to make sure he outbid everybody else in the room on various 0 gauge locos including a lot of good kitbuilt models.  If these sort of folk can still spend tens of thousands in order to buy in their stock it would seem to me they are selling it on at a profit, and some of them are registered for VAT although they might not advertise the fact.

The other side of the coin is that in many different hobby/collecting areas there is an awful lot more stuff being sent to auction than was the case a couple of years ago.  This might be because folk need the money or equally they might think it's a good time to get out of a particular field and put the cash into something else - there's no way of telling, but the important fact is that there are folk with money to buy (and I wonder how much that Samhongsa 4575 and the Underhill 'Crab' coming up in mid July are likely to fetch.

Class 58s in their original guise are the absolute upper limit of my eras of interest, and as such I wouldn't mind a Heljan one despite their various issues. However "wouldn't mind" doesn't translate into "am willing to shell out £165 for" in my case, regardless of how rare they might be.

WOW ! They are not easy to find (at least on the web) took me a year to get mine but I only paid about half that amount. 

That's not my point!! It's the so called recession that everyone keeps moaning about, saying they have no money for anything, yet here we see people prepared to spend a king's ransom on a 4mm model. It makes me "laugh" to hear that people don't have money these days; it's utter rot.

Really?  That's not how your post came across.

This seller must have been laughing himself all the way to the bank! Unbelievable finishing price; I think some people need their heads examining...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BR-SR-Class-74-Electro-Diesel-4mm-scale-kit-built-realistic-finish-/360677893186?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=EPAuPMIUeJNhz2aZetCz4zBMVI8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Use of the phrase "laughing all the way to the bank" implies that you believe that he gained excessive reward from the sale.  Perhaps that's not what you meant but it sure liked like it.  All a few of us have attempted to point out is that nobody's going to get rich building kits to that standard and then selling them for that price.  Good quality one-offs will always cost more than mass-production items.  OK so the seller might be a dealer and not the original builder but a glance at their other items for sale suggests not.

As for whether people have money or not, as others have also pointed out there are always those who either can afford or will make the necessary sacrifices to pay for what can be considered luxury items.  Economic circumstances affect whether there are more or fewer of them at any one time but there will always be some.  Back in the dark days of various recessions I worked for a few of them whilst virtually eating out of bins myself*.  I don't think the sale of one high quality 4mm loco for an apparently fair price proves otherwise to anyone without some kind of chip on their shoulder.

Now if it had been a slightly battered r-t-r item that went for twice what you would pay for new from Hattons (something I've seen once or twice) you might have a point.

*Not seeking sympathy, by the way.  I had a tobacco habit, spent far more than I should on motorcycles and liked a pint or two, all of which I gave a higher priority than proper food.  Maybe my modern equivalent likes Electro-diesels instead of Kawasakis :D.

Edited by PatB

If you want one would it not be better to let Mike have the profit to re-cycle into his business rather than the e-bay peddler?

Tony

Well I will be rather surprised if my offer is excepted any way as it is just over 50% of the BIN price.

It was just as much for the seller to know that some people do their homework, before they put a bid in and not get ripped of as I told him I had checked how much it will cost from Judith Edge and that was what my offer was based on.  

Edited by industrial

£14.00 Economy Delivery seem a bit steep as well. I put a Bachmann 25 in the post for £4 last week and that's "signed for". Maybe its wrapped in real gold bubblewrap or something, but honestly even 1st class parcels next day is only £8.25 for this size

Some people charge for materials and time as well as the actual cost of postage.  But they're not included in seller's fees which is why you get so much stuff from China starting at 99p with £12 postage rather than £12.99 with free postage.

Of course, Ebay say they "clamp down" on that sort of thing but never do.

WOW ! They are not easy to find (at least on the web) took me a year to get mine but I only paid about half that amount. 

ditto, I waited a good few months then paid just under half the amount that one is up for, I can't see it going for that price. Patience usually pays off.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASTRAL-MODELS-LMS-DIESEL-LOCO-PRE-WAR-MEGA-RARE-/271228567869?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3f267b813d

This one has already been spotted elsewhere, and the seller contacted to let them know that the LMS Diesels were not built pre-war!

Hence the edited listing.

Still interesting....

The model seems to be made from Cellulose Acetate Plastic?

Edited by Sarahagain

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASTRAL-MODELS-LMS-DIESEL-LOCO-PRE-WAR-MEGA-RARE-/271228567869?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3f267b813d

This one has already been spotted elsewhere, and the seller contacted to let them know that the LMS Diesels were not built pre-war!

Still interesting....

I suppose it's "mega rare" as all other examples have long since been thrown in the bin ....

As to the Heljan with the bad paint job, this is it - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Western-Prince-D1041-loco-by-Heljan-/221245067644?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item33833bd17c .  And for that money wouldn't you expect some decent pictures?

Still interesting....

Not a make/model I remember seeing before. It certainly appears to be cellulose acetate or similar (as were most things back then). It's also rather crude - the Kirdon one looks excellent in comparison.