Hi All,

That's the beastie Corbs! According to the diagram of the 2-10-2 design at the back of the GW 8 Coupled Heavy Freight Locomotives book it was projected to have the standard 7 boiler pressed to 250psi, 19" diameter Pistons with a 30" stroke and 4ft 7 1/2" driving wheels all which gives it a tractive effort of 41,465lbs! Quite an impressive design...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 3

Hi Horsetan,

The picture in my mind was still the 72xx, but with the trailing radial truck replaced by a trailing driving axle.

I see what you mean - it would fit. Whether it could go round the corners of its native Welsh habitats, without a flangless centre axle like the 9Fs or similar is questionable using standard GWR practice and components... The 72XXs and related GWR 8 coupled machines had thick flanges on the first two driving wheel sets and thin ones on the trailing pair. They also had a sort of spherical type rod bearings on the last rod joints and plenty of side to side clearance on the 72XXs trailing axle. The great thing about the way the GWR did it I suppose is that it was a fairly low cost but high return idea. It would have cost them a lot less than adding more driving wheels, rods and bearings, etc. but still gave the extended range.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I believe the intention for the 2-10-2 tank, had it been built, was to use it on the Newport Docks-Ebbw Vale iron ore trains, which were taxing even the mighty 2-8-0 tanks.  Kings had been tried on the service and it was one if the first jobs for the Riddles 9Fs when they appeared.  The curvature on the Ebbw Vale line is severe, and the 2-8-0s were plagued by tank leakage from straining around them, and it is interesting to speculate what Swindon would have come up with to alleviate this problem.  Presumably the larger diameter no.7 boiler would have necessitated narrower tanks, which would have also affected water capacity and hence the loco's range without stopping for water; the run would have been pretty much full throttle late cut off work from Rogerstone up the valley, and the final pull from Aberbeeg is very steep...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I believe the intention for the 2-10-2 tank, had it been built, was to use it on the Newport Docks-Ebbw Vale iron ore trains, which were taxing even the mighty 2-8-0 tanks.  Kings had been tried on the service and it was one if the first jobs for the Riddles 9Fs when they appeared.  The curvature on the Ebbw Vale line is severe, and the 2-8-0s were plagued by tank leakage from straining around them, and it is interesting to speculate what Swindon would have come up with to alleviate this problem.  Presumably the larger diameter no.7 boiler would have necessitated narrower tanks, which would have also affected water capacity and hence the loco's range without stopping for water; the run would have been pretty much full throttle late cut off work from Rogerstone up the valley, and the final pull from Aberbeeg is very steep...

Thanks for the info (and apologies to Castle for straying off subject). Did anyone take photographs of the Kings on the goods?

Presumably though, if water capacity was an issue, the front edge of the tanks would have been brought forwards to align with the cylinders/back of the smokebox. Or would total weight/weight distribution have been affected too much?

Thanks for the info (and apologies to Castle for straying off subject). Did anyone take photographs of the Kings on the goods?

Don't worry Corbs - all GWR chat is welcome here! Interesting stuff this...

All the best,

Castle

Presumably though, if water capacity was an issue, the front edge of the tanks would have been brought forwards to align with the cylinders/back of the smokebox. Or would total weight/weight distribution have been affected too much?

Hi RJS1977,

The only issue with doing that is that the motion actually comes up and over the frames and through the running plate just in front of the tanks on the GWR inside Stephenson valve gear. I guess you could add on a square bit at the top of the tank but how much more would that gain you? This is especially important when you thing about the sheer size of that boiler and the rate at which it would need to produce steam over the time period required to make those journeys through the Welsh valleys. They weren't going fast over fairly tortuous terrain.

I think however that the 2-10-2 could very well have been the GWR's answer to the MR 0-10-0 Lickey Banker, a.k.a. Big Bertha. It would have done a sterling job doing that sort of work and from a purely geeky point of view, it would have been cool to see! The limits on water and coal capacity become null and void given this as a duty.

Imagine a big electric headlight mounted on the front of that smokebox on Corbs' picture there. Then imagine being a guard on a big frieght train at night, minding your own business on the veranda of your TOAD and then that monster looms out of the darkness with that headlight blazing! Perhaps we can imagine a re-use of an old broad gauge name for the beast too? How about Cyclops?!

That's enough imagineering from me for now.

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 2

Hi Clearwarter,

It sounds like it should be doesn't it? The list I have suggests that the 12 possibilities put forward by Collett himself (all ex broad gauge freight engines) for the 47XXs were Behemoth, Bellerophon, Champion, Dreadnought, Gladiator, Hercules, Mammoth, Plutarch, Romulus, Tantalus, Thunderer and Trafalgar

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Kings were definitely used for a bridge test on the Western Valley but I'm not entirely sure if they were tested with any seriousness, if at all, on the ore trains.  Let's not overlook the fact that the Ebbw Vale works closed in1929 and didn't reopen, under new ownership and following re-equipment, until 1938.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Clearwarter,

It sounds like it should be doesn't it? The list I have suggests that the 12 possibilities put forward by Collett himself (all ex broad gauge freight engines) for the 47XXs were Behemoth, Bellerophon, Champion, Dreadnought, Gladiator, Hercules, Mammoth, Plutarch, Romulus, Tantalus, Thunderer and Trafalgar

All the best,

Castle

Tantalus.  Now that's got a ring to it.  That's not a name you'd see on a small engine...

• RMweb Gold

Hi Clearwarter,

All the best,

Castle

I'm rather glad that they didn't name them, with those names I'd have been picking a loco to model for its name rather than being shedded at Laira and being suitable for the intended workings on the layout...
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm rather glad that they didn't name them, with those names I'd have been picking a loco to model for its name rather than being shedded at Laira and being suitable for the intended workings on the layout...

You might have got away with it, if it happened to be an Old Oak loco.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You definitely used the surface texture of the WSF to your advantage.  You would likely have had a smoother starting point with FUD, which is what i use for most of my 3D printing, but when painted and weathered, as you have shown, you can certainly get acceptable results from WSF if you understand the limitations and how far you can push the material.

As someone doing effectively the same thing (modelling all the pieces in the collection of the museum i volunteer at), I always enjoy your ongoing project updates.  Been a while since i've been to Didcot, i should try to get back the next time I'm in the UK!

Stephen