• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Looks like the book launch will be on Saturday 14th February at Didcot - it would be great to see my fellow RMWEB members there if you can make it! My team will be working on No. 4079 during the day so if you want to come and have a look and ask questions about the overhaul and what we are up to then please do! Nos. 3650 and 93 should be in operation too. See you there!

All the best,

Castle

Hi Castle.

How / when will the launch take place? If we're able to get down, we won't arrive (by train to Didcot Parkway) till about mid-day.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Yes Rich, Pendennis Castle is referred to in the house by my better half as "the other woman" but thankfully in a completely understanding and very witty way. As Mrs Castle says "I have no competition there, she is 90 years old and by human standards over 130 tons overweight! As Mr Horsetan says, I have a soft spot for the loco but not in THAT way... It's actually quite hard not to be attached to it after working on the goal of running her for over 10 years. Having said that, it's as much about the great team I have. I have SO many great friends that I would not have otherwise through doing this. It's the simple process of a bunch of like minded people getting together and striving for a common goal that I guess is equally appealing.

Hi Ray & Polly,

We are going to set up a stand and do a few signings and allow people to meet myself and more importantly my team working on No. 4079 and get a good look at where we are up to and what we are doing! A representative from Haynes will also hand over a donation to the project as described earlier to me and the GWS chairman.

I will see you when I see you if you can make it - no worries! Everyone is invited!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

Hi All,

Looks like the book launch will be on Saturday 14th February at Didcot - it would be great to see my fellow RMWEB members there if you can make it! 

All the best,

Castle

Odd, there was a trader selling it at the Guildford show on Saturday!

• Like 1

You can buy the Haynes Manual for the Castle on Amazon now.

#1 Best Seller for Pictorial Railways Reference!

Not as nice as having a signed one by Mr Castle himself though (possibly with authentic oil and grease stains?).

Excellent job.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nowadays, some of us who struggle with DIY maintenance and repair are acquainted with the "Haynes Book of Lies"....

A reputation they have long held! I lost count of the number of people I had on the phone wondering why their bike wouldn't run after a re-wire and have redrawn many Haynes wiring diagrams for personal use. The errors on the mechanical side of the strip downs were just abundant. 

Hi All,

Hi RJS - it has been on sale since just before Christmas but we wanted to do an official thing so that people could meet the team and the loco.

Hi KGV - thank you for your kind comments good sir! If you want it covered in authentic grease, bring a copy to the 2015 tour and we will sort that for you in no time flat!

Rich / Horsetan - I am aware of the date! It was the nearest convenient No. 4079 working party date that also had a full running day attached. Funny coincidence though isn't it?! I maintain that my relationship with the loco is perfectly normal... Sort of...

Ric - you can be assured that this manual is based on a complete strip down and (nearly finished) rebuild.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

Hi Castle,

I was just wondering - have you ever considered running 4079 with the smaller 3500 gallon tender? If you ask STEAM nicely, they might let you borrow 4073's...

P.S. - the manual looks excellent and you can rest assured that I will be getting my grubby hands on a copy one way or another!

Hi Mr B,

Thanks for the complements! The idea had struck us as a good one. The firing step attached to the tender has to be the right height - they are different and were swapped around at Swindon. The one on No. 4073 is not only out of bounds on curatorial issues (as would No. 4003s!), I suspect it would cost a fair bit to extract it from its current position in the museum. The one being rebuilt for No. 2999 would be correct but it would mean that we couldn't go on the main line with it as a good deal of equipment to do so will be on the 4,000 gallon tender! Suffice to say that there is nothing planned. However, for a jolly or special event perhaps? Never say never...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Hi RJS - it has been on sale since just before Christmas but we wanted to do an official thing so that people could meet the team and the loco.

Hi KGV - thank you for your kind comments good sir! If you want it covered in authentic grease, bring a copy to the 2015 tour and we will sort that for you in no time flat!

Rich / Horsetan - I am aware of the date! It was the nearest convenient No. 4079 working party date that also had a full running day attached. Funny coincidence though isn't it?! I maintain that my relationship with the loco is perfectly normal... Sort of...

Ric - you can be assured that this manual is based on a complete strip down and (nearly finished) rebuild.

All the best,

Castle

When I used the Haynes manuals to rebuild Dagenham dustbins I always had half a jam jar of bits left over, will the Castle be the same, all be it probably a 45 gallon drum.

When I used the Haynes manuals to rebuild Dagenham dustbins I always had half a jam jar of bits left over, will the Castle be the same, all be it probably a 45 gallon drum.

[Reminds me of the story Brian Johnston used to tell of his Army training days when about a dozen of them had to strip down a tank engine (i.e. the engine from a tank, not Thomas!) each and reassemble it, and not have any bolts left over. So each one of them slipped the left over bolts they had into the next person's pockets when they thought they weren't looking. CO comes down the line, inspects the engines and asks the soldiers to turn out their pockets. The first has no spare bolts, nor does the second etc... until the last guy turned out his pockets and dropped more bolts than were in his engine to start off with!]

Edited by RJS1977
  • Like 1

Hi All,

Yes Rich, Pendennis Castle is referred to in the house by my better half as "the other woman" but thankfully in a completely understanding and very witty way. As Mrs Castle says "I have no competition there, she is 90 years old and by human standards over 130 tons overweight! As Mr Horsetan says, I have a soft spot for the loco but not in THAT way... It's actually quite hard not to be attached to it after working on the goal of running her for over 10 years. Having said that, it's as much about the great team I have. I have SO many great friends that I would not have otherwise through doing this. It's the simple process of a bunch of like minded people getting together and striving for a common goal that I guess is equally appealing.

Hi Ray & Polly,

We are going to set up a stand and do a few signings and allow people to meet myself and more importantly my team working on No. 4079 and get a good look at where we are up to and what we are doing! A representative from Haynes will also hand over a donation to the project as described earlier to me and the GWS chairman.

I will see you when I see you if you can make it - no worries! Everyone is invited!

All the best,

Castle

We won't get there, but I hope you have a brilliant day, you deserve it. If only for the entertainment you have given us sharing your experiences.

Thanks for the kind words Jaz!

Sorry you can't get to Didcot on the 14th. Perhaps you and Kal will have to see if you can make it to Didcot on this year's RMWEB tour?!

All the best,

Castle

I will definitely be purchasing a copy when I next visit.

Can't make it up there on the 14th. I'm heading in the opposite direction to Bristol to see Black Label Society. And the members day clashes with cricket :cry:

But I will find time for a trip up to Didcot sometime this year!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...