Hi Kev,

I have just followed your link and looked at that again - cracking bit of work it is too. I do like the look of the older panelled trailers. I am hoping that a kit of No. 92 will find its way out soon as she is back in traffic again. No. 92 was a very late withdrawal so she fits into Little Didcot's era beautifully. Then I will just need a model of No. 93 as No. 212 and I have the set!

Perhaps if you have a MONSTER order of solder and flux, you should be modelling something in diagram P.18?

I'll get my coat...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 2

Thanks for your kinds words Castle.

The A31 isn't really my prefered prototype, it barely scrapes into my modelling period. I much prefer the later Hawksworth designs. However, kits for those are quite hard to come by in 7mm. Us 7mm folk don't has the luxury of a supplier like Comet, who product such a fantastic range of kits. I'm sure I get a Hawksworth Autocoach eventually. Well I have to, as in the future there will be two 14xx's passing across my workbench.

A MONSTER..... hmm. I think I already have enough parcels stock. What with the two Siphon Gs, a Fruit D, plus the MK1 BG and CCT.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Excellent work on the super saloon Castle but I wish I'd seen that roof detail photo five or more years ago when I built my centenaries.Very tempting especially as I have photos of boat train usage pulled by Stars.Very modellable.

• Like 2

Hi Rob,

Cheers! Now Hornby has obliged, the Star hauled Supers looks like a really obtainable prospect! When you do it, make sure there are pictures of it on RMWEB for us to enjoy! I haven't been on the roof of Centenary Diner No. 9635 (yet!) so I don't know what that one is like at all. The roof on No. 9112 is much plainer so will be a bit easier.

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob,

Cheers! Now Hornby has obliged, the Star hauled Supers looks like a really obtainable prospect! When you do it, make sure there are pictures of it on RMWEB for us to enjoy! I haven't been on the roof of Centenary Diner No. 9635 (yet!) so I don't know what that one is like at all. The roof on No. 9112 is much plainer so will be a bit easier.

All the best,

Castle

Oi we want it back!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Drew,

A photo, as promised, of No. 93 with trailer No. 92 at Glyndyfrdwy, Llangollen Railway Steam Gala, Friday 19 April.

post-14049-0-30347000-1366670539.jpg

More to follow on Great West Road.

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martin,

I knew No. 9635 was on the G&WR but I wasn't aware you were!

All the best,

Castle

Lapsed now but was from 1981 to about 5 years ago when was financially in the mire, and memberships of things took last place to food and mortgage, got hit by credit card companies calling in while I was sorting a loan.

Oh and I first saw it at Dowty Ashchurch in the late 70s.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

No progress on the little super saloon I'm afraid but I have got a couple of pictures to show you of the 12":1' fleet so here we go:

Here is a little something that turned up this afternoon that has been causing a bit of a stir. No. 92, resplendent in lake livery! It had been delivered and had just successfully completed its trial run on the branch line with No. 93 when I snapped this.

post-14393-0-02247100-1367609238_thumb.jpg

Out of interest, this is the corridor end on No. 92.

post-14393-0-30540100-1367609469_thumb.jpg

Another wanderer that has just made it back is big, blue and named after a potato. This would be quite an authentic looking shot if it wasn't for the air pipe on the buffer beam and indeed the 1908 Railmotor behind it...

post-14393-0-95673600-1367609413_thumb.jpg

Finally, an atmosphere type shot of the mighty 'Donkey'!

post-14393-0-53185200-1367609576_thumb.jpg

All of these fine beasties are in action at some point over this weekend in the May bank holiday gala. Well, it's back to the workbench for me and let's see if I can get this coach somewhere near finished at least.

Enjoy!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Love the pics, Castle. Forget the Bachy Hawksworth autocoach, I would love to see the No 92 and No 93 in model form! Actually seeing them in real life would be rather awesome too.

I never realised the GWR had an engine called Albert Rooster...  :O

• Like 2

Castle, excellent photos as usual.

One question you may know the answer to: Why does 6023 have only one air hose? I thought that it would need two (main and resevior pipe).

• Like 1

Hi 69843,

As No. 6023 is main line use but not air braked, he is only required to be fitted with a through pipe to enable him to be connected with a diesel that is air brake only if required. He will operate on vacuum fitted or dual brake trains only.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle

Guest 838rapid

3440 City of Truro was fitted with a through air pipe too..

As Castle says its a requirement now for mainline steam locos

Edited by 838rapid

Thanks for the replys. As they say, you learn something new everyday!

So (just to check) It is still solely vac braked, but has a through pipe (It's all air here, so still a little foreign to me)?

• Like 2

Hello all,

6023's air pipe is a much neater installation than that applied to 4079 when she briefly visited Sydney.

For her transfer from the docks to Redfern and subsequent movement in light steam to Newcastle, the PTC of NSW simply tied an air hose to the front buffer beam, along the driver's side footplate, through the cab, across the gap to the tender, over the coal space and down the back of the tender to its buffer beam.

Here are some images:

post-17793-0-57896000-1367725571_thumb.jpg

post-17793-0-31810900-1367725673_thumb.jpg

post-17793-0-30244300-1367725737_thumb.jpg

We did things a little differently here in 1977!

Regards,

Rob

• Like 6

Thanks for the replys. As they say, you learn something new everyday!

So (just to check) It is still solely vac braked, but has a through pipe (It's all air here, so still a little foreign to me)?

Hi All,

That's it 69843 - correct!

Hi R.B. That method is still in use in the UK when vehicles are transferred between the museum site at Didcot and the loading and unloading site at what is know as the West Yard. Thanks for some more great pictures!

All the best,

Castle

Thanks for that Castle. I love learning about the UK transfering from Vac to Air braking, as it's interesting to see that not all engines are Air fitted, but can still be main line locomotives.

RosiesBoss, those shots are amazing. as someone who is to young to have had the chance to have seen 4079 in Oz, these shots provide a great insight into what the NSWR (PTC?) had to do when moving her around Sydney, before she really did become a Great Western engine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...