Upbech St Mary, Upbech Drove and Pott Row a journey through 00 and then into EM and 009.

mullie

Re; "...in the new year to sit under my J65 converted from a J72. CDC Designs have some Gobblers and a nice J65 3D printed for 4mm. I have one and they look quite nice. I also have a J65 converted from a Mainline J72. It is not 100% accurate as made to fit rtr chassis. Let me know if you want my article onconversion.I also hear that Model Rail are producing a J70 tram too.

Re; "...in the new year to sit under my J65 converted from a J72. CDC Designs have some Gobblers and a nice J65 3D printed for 4mm. https://www.shapeways.com/product/JHWH3K726/lner-class-j65-0-6-0-tank-loco-kit?optionId=56593967 I have one and they look quite nice. I also have a J65 converted from a Mainline J72. It is not 100% accurate as made to fit rtr chassis. Let me know if you want my article onconversion.I also hear that Model Rail are producing a J70 tram too.

Father Christmas delivered the following:

attachicon.gif20161225_101300.jpg

Poppy chassis jig

attachicon.gif20161225_101530.jpg

Comet J72 chassis, wheels, motor and gearbox to follow.

attachicon.gif20161225_101557.jpg

Happy Christmas

Edited by SDuhig

Very much the thing that conversion!

I gather that a 3D Print body for the G15(Y6) 0-4-0 tram is in the offing.  I think that would be just the thing for Castle Aching's tram section, and I thought you might be another potential user.

Best wishes for Christmas

Yes and Model Rail are allegedly making a J70 too but I have yet to confirm this. Check out GER/LNER 3D printed stuff at www.shapeways.com if you haven't already done so. GER seats (I personally prefer the brass kits) through GER canopy columns to GER 5 plank wagons and 20Ton Loco sand wagon bodies etc. etc.

Poppy chassis jig

Happy Christmas

Lovely set of presents there...

Poppy chassis jig

Happy Christmas

Lovely set of items there. Always wanted Iain's book and never seen the loco builder box? Brass chassis looks very nice

I did look at the CDC J65 and may build one in the future. I wanted to build a more 'traditional' type of chassis first and hadn't seen any articles about the CDC models or pictures of built examples. They do a range of suitable GE kits, something for the future I'm sure. My J65 was based on an article in the GE Society newsletter from many years ago and is numbered as 8215 if I remember correctly which was still running in Great Yarmouth around 1948.

I already have two Silver fox J70s with Bullant bogies fitted with stay alive decoders so would be unlikely to buy any more. I also still have my old K's model which may be revived during 2017.

The wagons sound interesting so will definitely investigate those.

Thanks for your interest.

I don't recall the article in GERS NEWS but am responsible for one in Practical Model Railways years ago. I was thinking that mating the CDC3D body with that rather nice brass J72 chassis kit might be possible? IMHO it is good VFM.. ;-)

I don't recall the article in GERS NEWS but am responsible for one in Practical Model Railways years ago. I was thinking that mating the CDC3D body with that rather nice brass J72 chassis kit might be possible? IMHO it is good VFM.. ;-)

The article in GE News could have been in the late 70s early 80s, I have been a member of the society since I did my O level history project on the Great Eastern Railway in 1980 and since then have been hooked on the line (I grew up in Brentwood) even since moving to a beautiful part of Dorset. Just come back from a couple of days visiting family in Essex- didn't see much of it as the fog was so thick. It took nearly six hours to drive back today!

The idea of mating the brass chassis with a 3D body is a good plan for the future and I'm sure I will try one of their locos as the concept looks really promising and deserves support as do the wagons you sent links to. I came very close to buying one but decided to learn more conventional chassis construction first.

Thanks for your interest- happy new year.

A Happy new year to all who read this. I have been surprised and encouraged by the continued interest in my ramblings and now have over 50 followers and nearly 50,000 views. Who would have thought it!

So to the latest project. The W & U coach was riding too high and I couldn't live with it. Smaller wheels looked silly so it was out with the Dremel and remove parts of the floor:

post-12773-0-12949300-1483272368_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-15459300-1483272375_thumb.jpg

A false floor was then added from 20 thou plasticard and the W iron glued back in so enabling a better ride height. Below is the result. Handrails have been added and I have soldered up some steps for the low platforms it will call at. Next job is axleboxes, add steps and buffers.

post-12773-0-04228500-1483272497_thumb.jpg

The entrance from the left hand fiddle yard occasionally caused derailments and it turned out there was a light tightening of the gauge at the baseboard joint which has now been dealt with. Great thing about copperclad is that I simply whipped out the soldering iron and adjusted as necessary. There will be some scenic repairs but these are small easily effected and running should be improved.

post-12773-0-25415300-1483272754_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Martyn, you shouldn't be surprised at the interest in your activities. Very much your own individual idiosyncratic thing, and it is to be much admired.

We need "originals" in this world-model railway (and the real.).

PS, on Edit, I went away and did something else-another wash of colour on the cottages at PB-and thought how right you were on the comment about the coach looking "silly". Gut re-actions like that are of far more value than whether it is "correct" or not. The acid test is does it look "right" and now the coach does.

Edited by john flann

Tonight I went through my small collection of vintage magazines and what a source of inspiration they are. I have the Model Railways specials on Borchester and Buckingham as well as the Peco  'Famous Layouts' special including Berrow, Charford, Wallsea and Craig and Mertonford. However much technology improves a great layout is after all a great layout. Each of the above has something about them that remains timeless.

It is a small collection because I no longer have room to store a large magazine collection. When we moved to Dorset in 2004 I had every Railway Modeller bound since 1978 and simply couldn't store them any more. I have retained a small collection which I still draw on for inspiration. 

Martyn,

I have spent the New Year reading through this layout thread and it is fascinating to see how the layout developed.

In fact it is a prime example of less is more. Considering how far you got with the factory development, it made everything rather cluttered, whereas now, that big grey brooding sky backscene creates an illusion of space. I also like the way you adapt models to suit your needs.

Now off to read Rickett Street.

Paul 4475

Martyn,

I have spent the New Year reading through this layout thread and it is fascinating to see how the layout developed.

In fact it is a prime example of less is more. Considering how far you got with the factory development, it made everything rather cluttered, whereas now, that big grey brooding sky backscene creates an illusion of space. I also like the way you adapt models to suit your needs.

Now off to read Rickett Street.

Paul 4475

It has been quite a journey. It is a relatively small layout fitted around a growing family, limited budget and a busy working life. It is sobering to think this layout was started in 2008 and is still a long way from completion(whatever that means in layout terms).

The making and modifying of things is something I've done to save money as well as develop my skills. For instance, I started building track because it was so much cheaper than the equivalent Peco and it is something I still enjoy though it has taken quite a lot of tweaking to get things running smoothly.

Thanks for your interest.

Had a bit of unexpected time over the last 24 hours so I have pressed ahead with adding buffers and running gear. The steps were soldered up from scrap brass. Progress so far:

post-12773-0-84818500-1483387425_thumb.jpg

A view of the end showing the door for the conductor guard. Only the end doors by the steps are used by passengers.

post-12773-0-87862200-1483387430_thumb.jpg

Now need to work on the interior and roof. This is not an accurate representation but will do for now.

Edited by mullie
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more progress this week:

The panelling on a GW coach is smaller than the GER equivalent so positioning lettering and numbers has been a compromise. This is only a representation after all. The roof beading is far too heavy handed and will be replaced. An interior has been made from a superb template kindly supplied by JCL, more to follow later.

post-12773-0-78975600-1484515431_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-20195900-1484515437_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Superb work, as ever, and I love the finish you get to your models, particularly, in this case, the rather faded teak.

Just the sort of thing, I imagine, that the GE would have produced for your tramway had it existed, so fits right in.

Superb work, as ever, and I love the finish you get to your models, particularly, in this case, the rather faded teak.

Just the sort of thing, I imagine, that the GE would have produced for your tramway had it existed, so fits right in.

The brown is a Tamiya spray can which is a reasonable match to some of the LNER brown coaches I have seen but not others! Track colour can also be a good match. The Kelvedon and Tollesbury coaches were kept quite clean according to a now removed video I found on You Tube some time ago so this won't be as heavily weathered as the clerestories.

Thanks for your interest and looking forward to seeing your carriages progress. I plan to use the Ratio models to create some six wheel coaches later in the year.

Martyn, I'd missed your earlier post and have now caught up.

That is so very nicely done and as has been said you've caught the atmosphere.

Too, from photos I have of these coaches they were maintained in a clean and shiny condition. (I can't resist it, but it's a nice change from your grime-no matter how well achieved.)

Busy morning at the dining room table:

post-12773-0-07051900-1485023335_thumb.jpg

I've just realised that the clear holders I use for talc, chalks and charcoal etc when I'm painting are actually held dummies and were bought when our daughters were babies which means they are at least sixteen years old!

Component parts for a 4 wheel coach, the seats are from the print out posted by JCL and made from card cut out the old fashioned way. Huge thanks for making them available.

post-12773-0-58118000-1485023480_thumb.jpg

And all put together:

post-12773-0-27306700-1485023561_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-69778100-1485023614_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

After a lot of deliberation I've decided to move the layout back to that part of Norfolk bounded by Kings Lynn, Wells, Stoke Ferry and even as far east as Great Yarmouth. This is the area I know best:

I spent many happy childhood holidays in Yarmouth, have always been fascinated by the Wissington Light Railway and the track plan at Wells (with an engine shed in front of the goods shed so all traffic has to pass through the engine shed) and the lure of Melton Constable is hard to resist as the 'Crewe of North Norfolk.'

I suspect I will rename the layout again which is not difficult as the main station name board is only visible from the back and the light railway hasn't had it's name repainted since the war so isn't currently legible.

I started drawing a 4mm plan of a former oil burning tender from a 3/8" drawing supplied by the GE society last night. In 'Glory Days Steam in East Anglia' by Peter Swinger there is a fantastic photo of now preserved 65462 at Yarmouth Beach with BR number attached to a former oil burning tender lettered LNER, if only I could create that!

Wisbech is a fascinating area but is not really my 'spiritual home' in railway terms.

• Like 1

Been plodding away with some rolling stock but as it is all kit built or highly modified it is taking time.

Decided it was about time I improved my soldering skills so last summer I ordered two of the Lochgorm starter frets which at only £8  each are a great way to start. This is the progress today:

post-12773-0-70741400-1486238370_thumb.jpg

I've made some mistakes but this is a learning curve after all.

The drive to get something close to the ancient rolling stock still in service during my period has led me to start modifying Ratio kits again, this time to produce some six wheel coaches. The middle axle boxes are also Ratio taken from an old kit I must have built 35 years ago. The middle axle will run in some MJT frames, just need to work out the best way to set them up as they will need some side play.

post-12773-0-96832200-1486238660_thumb.jpg

A set of D & S Wisbech & Upwell coaches went for £130 0n Ebay last week so there will be more of this for some time. Probably more cost effective to buy a silhouette/cameo cutter and build my own!

• Like 5

Middle axle is now installed. I used part of an MJT inside bearing compensation unit designed for rtr stock. It semi floats so can move up and down a tiny bit and also side to side. It is held in place with a concoction of plasticard. Seems to go through pointwork ok at the moment, will be interesting to see how it works once finished and coupled up to other stock. I plan to get a second six wheeler started this week.

post-12773-0-18847900-1486305004_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Super stuff Martyn, I'd love to see this at the Stowmarket or BStEds exhibitions sometime!?

Part of the appeal of starting "Akenfield" for me was something mentioned in the East Anglia past and present book. The fact that USAF personel alighting at Mildenhall for their roles involving cutting edge technology of the day may well have been conveyed there by essentially 19th century kit, one E4 and a handful of J15s still plodding along in 1959.

The coaching stock in use post WW2 is something of a mystery to me so your postings on such matters are fascinating as well as educational.

C6T.

• Like 1