While fiddling around with my layout,trying different bridges across a river I realised that none were really right because normal track just does not look correct ....a quick delve into a few prototype pictures and I had an idea of how to reproduce the look reasonably quickly and cost effectively....

first take a length of Peco code 100 ( this should work with other scales and codes)

turn it over ...and starting a few inches in cut the web out between each sleeper and close them up until you have enough length for your bridge ...in my case it was 18" ...so a slow relaxing ...repetitive job ......

6771507137_d480442ed5_z.jpg

when you have reached the required length slide up some standard spaced sleepers to form the transition back ...

depending on the length there should be some spare naked rail left over ....this can be used to make the check rails that go the length of the bridge....I just cut them to size bent the ends in a bit and then super-glued them in to the track...

6771510285_c1fe8d99e4_z.jpg

6771504045_3b8323fd99_z.jpg

Finally in position on the bridge deck .....it will be painted in due course when I do the rest of the trackwork ....but it does look a lot better than standard track to my eyes ...

6771500037_23c04a6e67_z.jpg

Regards Trevor ... :sungum:

The extra rails are to keep equipment more or less in line if it derails. Otherwise, it could damage the bridge trusses, which would be a very long and expensive business to repair.

Also, as a lot of US bridges and trestles don't have "sides" for want of a better word, aren't the check rails also supposed to help prevent a derail toppling off the edge of the deck..?... Theoretically, at least...

I think some US track makers, or Shinohara, do a specific "bridge track" piece with the close-spaced ties, but this is a good way to do it for a lot less...

Also I couldn't help thinking that it makes a change from the usual UK practise with Peco track, which is to space the sleepers out more... :D

• RMweb Premium

They keep the equipment in line after a derailment.

There was one of a passenger train where they found that the diesels stayed along the tracks but the coaches wandered. The diesel motors hung down far enough to catch on the rails and keep them steady. I think various modifications were made afterwards, but I forget which.

The other major reason for check rails is as additional support (to act as a replacement for ballast) in keeping the ties from moving around. IMO this is the primary reason that the check rails exist on smaller bridges, since you see them on the inner tracks of a multi-track bridge, but don't tend to see them on ballasted-deck bridges.

Micro-Engineering makes very nice bridge rail.

Adrian

There are also check rails on underpasses, where the track is on the ground and otherwise fully ballasted. I imagine this is to keep equipment from destroying itself beyond repair if it hits the concrete abutment, as well as to minimize damage to the bridge. As far as toppling over from deck bridges, this certainly happens -- the guard rails can only do so much. But that's what you have claims agents for!

The other major reason for check rails is as additional support (to act as a replacement for ballast) in keeping the ties from moving around. IMO this is the primary reason that the check rails exist on smaller bridges, since you see them on the inner tracks of a multi-track bridge, but don't tend to see them on ballasted-deck bridges.

The object of guardrails is to keep a derailed wheel on the ties. On a bridge without a ballasted deck if the wheels goes off the ends of the ties, it hits the bridge structure or tips over. The wheels are unsupported.

On a ballasted deck bridge if the derailed wheels go off the ties they won't hit the bridge structure because they go into the ballast, so the bridge deck is protected. Short bridges may not have them because its not that hard to replace them, remove the debris, drop in a couple culverts and backfill with rock, lay panels.

Archived