"Watavgot Colliery" OO 3 foot long X 9 inch, 1 point & a working coal bunker

18B

Hi,

it appears i was trying to squeeze to much into a too small a space and given that this layout is supposed to be being built with things that I've already got, hence "Watavgot" I'd had to scale it down.

It's going to be OO, one point, a working coal bunker to fill the wagons and a small cassette fiddle yard at the other end, that's the plan - let work begin.

Well it's proving very very tight, but the cassette holds an 08 + 2 x 16 tonners, or a 20 / 25 and one wagon/brake van, the coal bunker, is hopefully far enough up the siding to allow one wagon to be loaded and then another to be loaded after pusing the first further down the line.

Frame and basebard are now one,

sides and and top are also cut.

One enforsed change, the origanl plan was that there would be two back to back diorama / small layout, each acting as a fiddle for the other, but that proved too much for the small boards i had to hand. Instead there will two small cassette's which will be made from other bits of timber I had left over, that means that the track on the scenic oart will be raised to the same level. This will mean that the track can ground can lose that all on one look. (I hope)

Finally because the layout will be so small, I intend to cut the front board like a fish tank, i.e you view through the cut out hole in board rather than over it. The cut out will then be hinged so it can be hinged back into place with a small bolt holding it in place for carriage.

A couple of pics,

the slightly evlavated tackwork is now done, as is a cassette, one for an 08 and two 16 tonner's and another to be built for a 20/25 and a brake van.

Managed to find a bit of felxi track for the front siding to give a gently curve, also the right hand line has now been changed for flexi, and it looks a lot better for having a gentle curve rath than dead straight.

now to to test the viewing window.

post-6082-0-00348200-1327841387_thumb.jpg

post-6082-0-66263800-1327841604_thumb.jpg

Evening,

a brief update, the sides and front/back are all on now (temp) to see how it all looks.

The window in the front looks ok, well, the first one I cut I made a mess of attatching the hinges, so that became the back and a new one was made for the front. This now means that the cassette fiddle yard has to be accesed through the same small window that should have been the viewing window, but it works fine and at least it holds everythng all together nicely,

this is the "coffin" from the outside, nicely protected during transit and then the window can come open to reveal the small (very small viewing area.

the draw knob allows the top board to be lifted off.

post-6082-0-38453200-1328122240_thumb.jpg

the view through the window and one over the top.

The siding at the front is just long enough to a 20 / 25 and a brake van while the back one (which will have the laoding bunker / screen) is just long enough to hold an 08 and 2 16 ton minerals.

while the fiddle yard Cassette at the back is again just long enough to hold the above.

post-6082-0-88065900-1328122595_thumb.jpg

post-6082-0-45756700-1328122728_thumb.jpg

post-6082-0-50453800-1328122946_thumb.jpg

post-6082-0-78681700-1328123113_thumb.jpg

I think that the box will need a good light overhead to light it up better.

my thoughts for the bunker (Does any have any plans for working models? I've seen how the New Haden one works and it's very good) are that a water bottle (square type) will be supported by MDF screwed to the backboard and then the card bunker can be suitably clad.

I've put some handles on the end becuase the thing weighs far too much, a consequence of using what I had rather than buying specifically.

The bunker is going to take some figuring out how best to do it.

Archived