Β 

Model Railroad Planning 2012

I had a pleasant suprise when I arrived home this evening in the form of the 2012 edition of Model Railroad Planning which has just arrived from the USA. It contains excellent articles from Lance Mindheim and Mike Confalone. These are included in a good mix of other subjects that should keep model railroaders with differing prototype interests happy. Not a 'stand out' edition but still worth waiting for. That's me sorted for reading material on the Master Cutler in the morning :-)

Β 

Cheers

Β 

Parthia27

I agree with Ashley - the highlight of the model railroading year, with Great Model RR Layouts coming second. As Parthia27 says, not the best MRP I've read, but still lots to enjoy. Personally, the letter from Tony Thompson (whose blog I follow, it being about modelling the San Luis Obispo district in 1953, a year earlier than my own primary interest of SLO) was very interesting, with his opinion that British-style modelling and fictitious-but-accurate GWR model branch lines were the primary stimulus for his own make-believe SP branch line off the Coast Line.

Β 

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to this. I have a run of MRP's going back to 1999 or so and they are among my most well-read publications; there's always something good which sometimes take a little while to "sink in" (in my case, anyway).

• RMweb Gold

Wonder when it will turn up on the news stands here .....only just found January Railroader !!!!!

Β 

Regards Trevor .. :sungum:

I've just ordered it from SPV so it should arrive in a few days. Although I get my Model Railroader "direct" I think SPV also distribute the current US magazine way ahead of the newsagent distribution chain.

• RMweb Gold

The SPV stand at the Benson NMRA Winter meet a couple of weeks ago was where I bought mine.

It was actually your post about purchasing it at Benson recently that made me suspect SPV may have it! I guessed it may have been SPV at Benson. I didn't go but I do recall the stand from our 2011 NMRA Spring Meet.

I've just ordered it from SPV so it should arrive in a few days. Although I get my Model Railroader "direct" I think SPV also distribute the current US magazine way ahead of the newsagent distribution chain.

Β 

I too get my Model Railroader 'direct', been doing so since the late '90s and I have always found the service to be excellent. So I decided to get the 2012 MRP the same way.BTW I have just filed away my MRP with all of my previous years copies which I have just realised go back to 1996! Makes me feel ancient!

Β 

Cheers

Β 

Chris M

I too get my Model Railroader 'direct', been doing so since the late '90s and I have always found the service to be excellent. So I decided to get the 2012 MRP the same way.BTW I have just filed away my MRP with all of my previous years copies which I have just realised go back to 1996! Makes me feel ancient!

Β 

Cheers

Β 

Chris M

Β 

1996 ancient .!!! Nah !!! :no:

Β 

6775863887_215d60a8b5_z.jpg

Β 

Regards Trevor ... :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Β 

Cheers

Β 

Chris M

I have ordered quite a few of the MR special issues directly in response to the "order now, get reduced shipping" type emails they send me. I never got round to responding to the emails for the GMR 2012 or the Planning 2012 for some reason. My Model Railroaders don't go back that far but I do have a lot of 1980s Railway Modellers lurking in the loft (somewhere).

• RMweb Premium

Trev: that was one of my first MRs -- I would have been 9. If it's downstairs, it will be in rough shape. That was back when the articles expected you to be able to turn, solder, etch, rewind and remagnetize your motors. I may now have learned enough to build that boxcab -- do you have part one?

When I buy older ones, I have to sniff them first, then my wife sniffs them when I get home.

Β 

Prized possession: bound copy of MR Volume 1 (reprint).

Archived