Β 

New England rail query

Guys

Β 

Anyone au fait with New England? Planning 2 weeks touring all of New England in summer 2012 and need a bit of guidance for any worthwhile diversions from usual holiday stuff when there. Starting in Boston heading up to Sebasco, across to Stowe, back down via Williamstown then Newport via Connecticut and thence to Boston again via stops at Cape Cod and islands? Don't supopose its a freight hot spot but any interesting shortlines etc etc would be gratefully received?

I'll kick you off.

I don't think that there is anything interesting on the Islands or Cap Cod but the Boston area has plenty to see (including the Acela between there and New York).

I found that the most interesting part of Boston was the underground system. I never seen such a motley collection of different stock on any one system. Worth using it to get around. Fascinating.

Β 

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

If you can include the Conway Scenic line and the cog railway up Mount Washington on a clear sunny day then both these will be worthwhile trips. You won't really want to use a car when in Boston as the public transport is very good and as Pete says the trams on the T are fascinating. Boston North station is a modern uninteresting station but the booking. Got hall at South station which is where most Amtrak training session depart is worth a visit. We haven't been to Boston size centre The Big Djg wZ completed so suspect the landscape along the waterfront has changed somewhat

Β 

Ian

No ideas about rail-related things to see, but lots of nautical possibilities on the southern portion of that itinerary if you are interested:

USN Submarine Museum at Groton, CT - USS Nautilus (where else can you get on a nuclear sub?)

Mystic Seaport, CT - touristy, but interesting

Museum of Yachting, at Newport, RI

Battleship Massachusettts at Fall River, Ma

Β 

Adrian

Hi,

Β 

I visited New England in 1993 & 1994 and managed to find the following heritage railroads which were all interesting.

Β 

Not sure how many still survive, but, no doubt, a quick Google will provide the answers.

Β 

First, the Lamoille Valley Railroad, Morrisville, VT (near Stowe) Famous for it's covered bridge. Sadly, I think it's now gone.

Β 

post-7898-0-81893100-1326804589_thumb.jpg

Β 

post-7898-0-38557600-1326804626.jpg

Β 

Next, Conway Scenic Railroad, NH

Β 

post-7898-0-09241700-1326804679.jpg

Β 

post-7898-0-64970100-1326804729.jpg

Β 

Next, Lake Winnipesaukee Railroad, Weirs Beach, NH

Β 

post-7898-0-26642100-1326804833_thumb.jpg

Β 

Next, Maine Coast Railroad, Wiscasset, Maine

Β 

post-7898-0-74357200-1326804911_thumb.jpg

Β 

Finally, Cape Cod Railroad, Hyannis, Mass

Β 

post-7898-0-69956900-1326805394.jpg

Β 

Β 

regards,

Β 

Mal

If you're going to Williamstown, you may as well check out East Deerfield Yard on Pan Am, which is a prime railfan spot. There's a great deal of Amtrak and commuter operation in coastal Connecticut.

When I last visited, Cape Cod RR also hauled freight, well garbage! VRS and Montreal Maine & Atlantic still haul freight in the north, with Providence & Worcester in Connecticut, Rhode Island and (I think) Mass.

Β 

White River Junction is probably worth a visit, especially if you can time it with Amtrak's "Vermonter".

Β 

Bellows Falls is still home to the Green Mountain's roundhouse & you can see it from a picnic area across the road

Β 

If you get to Burlington, Vermont Railway's roundhouse and yard occupies an attractive lakefront location with a cycle path right by it.

Β 

LVRC is now probably a snowmobile track, it was out of service when we went over for our wedding in '98 and the Fisher Bridge was a picnic area.

Β 

On the upside AFIK St Johnsbury VT is still served by VRS and the papermill at Berlin NH is served by Montreal Maine & Atlantic.

Β 

You may be interested on this site, if you haven't seen it already http://photos.nerail.org/

Β 

Have a good trip

Β 

Nick

The Lamoille Valley is long gone, the other operations shown in the pictures are alive and kicking though the name and motive power may have changed (e.g., the Conway Scenic no longer has the ex-MEC 44 tonner and I think the Alco went to the Downeast Scenic).

Also well worth a visit if you can head a bit further north is the Wiscasset and Farmington narrow gauge. For an outfit that hasn't been around for very long they have accomplished a lot and are very friendly to visitors.

Slightly off topic, but I found this on the Boston Subway. >>

http://www.boston.co.../first_big_dig/

Β 

I agree - Check Park Street Station out - A trip to Riverside on the Green Line is a good run if you are into LRV's -here is a large depot at the end of the line

Β 

The Blue Line to Wonderland is another 8 mile run and changes from 3rd rail to overhead at Airport Station after you leave the tunnel section

Β 

Last but not least - Take the Red Line to Ashmont and then board the Ashmont-Mattapan PCC run - a tramway that runs through the middle of a graveyard. Be careful at Mattapan it is a rough area.

Β 

Be Aware

Β 

In Boston the MBTA (T) staff are somewhat paranoid about photography - unless you get a permit ,do not get caught taken photos on the T subway network. Even on streets you may well have a T driver threaten to call the Police! On the public highway a polite I am from England and taking photos of your trams and not you usually defuses this type of situation as you are not breaking the law.

Β 

XF

• RMweb Premium

2 more trolley museums:

East Haven, Ct -- east of New haven, along the coast.

East Windsor, Ct -- betwen Hartford and Springfield

Β 

Β 

Is the Valley railroad still running?

Edaville?

Berkshire Scenic Railway? (I'm working from a last-century guidebook)

Β 

Β 

If you like street cars and electric railways, Kennebunkport is the place. But a wrong turn in town will get you to the Bush's island.

Β 

Boston underground has 4 lines that require 4 types of cars. Plus whatever is on the main line. Since I was there last, they apparently have buried all the elevated lines.

Booked it. Looks great. Nice man in Trailfinders suggested adding 2 days in NYC at the end. Then suggested that we take the train from Boston and fly back from JFK. 'Acela' says I. 'No' says he. 'Take the slow old Amtrak regional, better coaches, better locos and better scenery' He added 'There's a loco change too, which is fun.' All looks good. Trying to work in a bit of PanAm, Vermont etc etc. Have a Grand Cherokee booked as wheels too. Beside ourselves with excitement!

You might want to get acquainted with the New England railfan forum on railroad.net as it contains some useful information on what's happening in the area: http://www.railroad....413057f6a30e019

The information re engine changes in New Haven is a bit out of date. Now that it's electric traction all the way to Boston I don't believe there is any change of power in New Haven. Back in the day it certainly was the case and made New Haven an interesting place to watch trains, still worth a visit and plenty of variety what with the Acelas, the regionals, the New Haven-Springfield trains, Metro-North and Shore Line East.

These days are gone, however:

post-277-0-46418300-1327172693_thumb.jpg

You might want to get acquainted with the New England railfan forum on railroad.net as it contains some useful information on what's happening in the area: http://www.railroad....413057f6a30e019

The information re engine changes in New Haven is a bit out of date. Now that it's electric traction all the way to Boston I don't believe there is any change of power in New Haven. Back in the day it certainly was the case and made New Haven an interesting place to watch trains, still worth a visit and plenty of variety what with the Acelas, the regionals, the New Haven-Springfield trains, Metro-North and Shore Line East.

These days are gone, however:

post-277-0-46418300-1327172693_thumb.jpg

Thanks HighPeak. I will be in touch. Would also like some steer on where to go shopping in that part of the world. Sure I can Google model rail shops but local knowledge is priceless!

Guys

Β 

Anyone au fait with New England? Planning 2 weeks touring all of New England in summer 2012 and need a bit of guidance for any worthwhile diversions from usual holiday stuff when there. Starting in Boston heading up to Sebasco, across to Stowe, back down via Williamstown then Newport via Connecticut and thence to Boston again via stops at Cape Cod and islands? Don't supopose its a freight hot spot but any interesting shortlines etc etc would be gratefully received?

Β 

I visited New England last summer, based at Plymouth, MA.

Β 

We had an 'Elegant Dining' trip on the Cape Cod Railroad. Pre-booked it from the website.

If you are into N Scale there is a good store - Kens Trains - at Sudbury, just outside Boston.

Β 

Jeff

Β 

Β 

I visited New England last summer, based at Plymouth, MA.

Β 

We had an 'Elegant Dining' trip on the Cape Cod Railroad. Pre-booked it from the website.

If you are into N Scale there is a good store - Kens Trains - at Sudbury, just outside Boston.

Β 

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Looks like fun. Their 1951 Alco looks nice but has a boggo EMD motor unfortunately? Still looks like a day out/evening out option?

Si

Archived