Hi,

For the second Xmas running, Santa Claus failed to deliver an Atlas Gold Series CSX Dash 8-40B :angry:

However, every cloud has a silver lining and instead of a loco I received a Noch Gras(s)master. For some time I've looked enviously at the superb

grass on layouts, but was put off by the cost. I thought I couldn't really justify the cost for my small layouts which don't have a lot of greenery.

I used to think the same about DCC! Now, I know that some people have made a static grass applicator for a few pence using a tea strainer or fly swatter,

but my electricals skills are such that I'd probably end up electrocuting myself.

Anyway, I now look at the purchase as an investment and my brother's railroad empire in his loft will certainly require a lot of grass.

So far, I'm very pleased with the results, here they are:

post-7898-0-52910000-1326370298_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-43417000-1326370344_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-78427800-1326370480_thumb.jpg

regards,

Mal

Thanks guys.

Grass fibres can be used. I got mine from International Models. They offer the Grassmaster at a reduced price if you buy 3 packs of MiniNatur grass fibres from them.

http://www.internationalmodels.net/acatalog/Grass_Fibres.html

The Grassmaster also includes a Noch sample pack but I found the green to be too bright.

Lance Mindheim uses Heki products which look good.

regards,

Mal

Hi Ray,

The longest fibres from MiniNatur are 6.5mm which is approx 20inches in HO Scale. There is a very good demo by Dave Frary

here on YouTube

The new Mark 2 version also includes a funnel attachment which is useful for small areas.

regards,

Mal

Cheers Mal

looks quite effective,thinking of having an overgrown spur on my new layout,been experimenting with heki tufts,but this looks alot better

Ray

from deepest west cumbria

Funny, but I was just thinking the same yesterday, so I added a little more static grass to the beer distributor. Now it looks overgrown and disused?

post-7898-0-71238700-1326887041_thumb.jpg

Luckily, a delivery of beer has arrived today. I hope it's Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. :drink_mini:

post-7898-0-09943300-1326887130_thumb.jpg

cheers,

Mal

• RMweb Gold

Mal

You nearly had me worried saying the beer distributor had gone.. phew!!

Hope it is Sierra Nevada Celebration they have in there!!!

The grass really does look good. The only problem I have had after installing the grass and even after removing the 'loose' grass, if painting anything afterwards, the grass will find the wet paint. Next itme I might try a sealing coat onto the grass before painting anything near it. Not sure what others do.

Ian

Mal

'Weeds' look fine esp if that spur is only getting irregular deliveries. On my couple of visits to Santa Fe the spur to the Budweiser depot there was pretty overgrown eventhough it was still getting odd deliveries

Ian - In the Lance Mindheim books he recommends misting over static grass once it has dried with dilute matt medium to seal it and also give it a bit more protection.

Dan

Thanks for the tip about painting after static grass application. I don't think there's much change of the beer distributor warehouse being repainted.

I'm still on a bit of a learning curve with static grass. In my excitement at finishing the grass, I ran my GP40-2 and it moved along very jerkily final coming to a halt,totally bunged up with static grass,reminded me of an old Lima Class 20. Now I always vacuum off the surplus!

Mal

Hi,

I've completed adding static grass to the layout by giving the 'urban canyon' staging track to give it an 'overgrown' look. I'm starting to get the used to this wonderful little machine

and for me, it's the best thing since DCC sound! Sometimes I think it helps to have new innovations to stimulate and continue our interest in the hobby.

Here's a few pics

post-7898-0-93256200-1327669263_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-04612700-1327669297_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-05880700-1327669345_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-24220000-1327669380_thumb.jpg

regards,

Mal

Thanks guys, your comment are much appreciated. Palmetto now holds the record for being my longest lasting layout, helped partly by the encouragement I've received from RMWebbers.

regards,

Mal

Archived