Β 

Helix practicalities

Since the demise of my garage layout last year, I'm thinking of a new project there - a shelf layout around the walls on two levels.

Β 

That raises the question of a helix between the two levels.

Β 

Space is limited and I'm looking at something around a 10 inch separation, approx 22 - 24 in radius which should give a gradient of about 3.5%.

Β 

Now, the question is to all you helix users or physics graduates - how would that work in practice in terms of the train actually staying on the track and not suffering from "stringing"(?). The train would most likely comprise a loco and up to 7 or 8 cars. No double stacks or tri-level auto racks, just plain old boxcars, hoppers and similar.

Β 

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Hi Nick

Β 

I am in the process of building a helix

Β 

http://kaleyyard.wordpress.com/the-helix/

Β 

This is my second helix - the first one worked reasonably well, the second one is only in the construction stage and has not been tested with full length and full weight trains.

Β 

My original helix was twin track with a minimum radius of 28 inches for the downhill segment and 31 inches for the uphill segment.

4 inch seperation between levels, 8 inch elevation per circumnavigation.

20 twin stacks did not string, autoracks did with more than 18 on. No problem with box cars.

I try to make NMRA weight standards.

No problem with 2/3/4 locos on the front end, did have a problem with locos pushing, more an issue with speed matching than any problem with the helix itself.

Β 

Hope that helps

Β 

Trevor

I've read somewhere (I can't remember where, of course!) that building the track in a helix with reverse superelevation, i.e. leaning towards the outside of the curve, can help to reduce the tendency to stringline.

One friend has 2 helices (helixes, helixs, helii??) on his layout and I helped build both. One was made of identical segments to make an octagonal shape (supposedly to save material) and the other was longer arcs of wood . In my opinion the one made of arcs was easier to fabricate, assemble and adjust than the one made of regular segments. At a smaller radius the arcs actually used less wood than the regular segments. YMMV.

Β 

PS: Both used the threaded rod support, BUT we used a wood block as a spacer to ensure consistent spacing between the levels while adjusting the bolts and washers.

I also played with cutting arcs from 1/4" plywood and then laminating them together to form a 1/2" thick spiral, with offsetting joints in the layers. Didn't have enough clamps to get a consistent joint between layers, but it did result in a very smooth roadbed.

Β 

I built it to test the feasibility of making a 2 level layout, I built one turn of the helix and put track on it, then did tests with some of my engines to see if they could reliably make it up the grade. Unfortunately the 4-4-0's and 4-6-0's wouldn't reliably climb the grade with 8 and 12 car trains (respectively) and so I stayed with a one level design.

Archived